BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still Lookin For A Truck.....

5 posters

Go down

Still Lookin For A Truck..... Empty Still Lookin For A Truck.....

Post  billandlori April 19th 2010, 10:56 pm

So we are still looking at some 90's F250/F350's. Many of the 7.3's say they have or have had trans problems. Questions:
-Is it an easy fix or big $$$?
-Would it be smart to switch to a C6?
-Do the 460 powered trucks have these trans problems too?

Looking at a couple that have nice low miles and little rust (lots with LOTS of rust too!!) but the trans is leaking or not working.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Still Lookin For A Truck..... Empty Re: Still Lookin For A Truck.....

Post  prosandguy April 19th 2010, 11:51 pm

Couple of things, not sure what mileage 7.3s you are looking at, with a good cooler and fluid the E4OD trans can be good, but I know some guys that once they put a chip in, they ended up having problems. They are not hard to find, and can be rebuilt to be a very heavy duty deal.
A c-6 won't bolt up to a 7.3, they are different bolt patterns.
I know a couple diesel guys around my place that are going on 175K-200K on the same trans, that tow on a pretty regular basis during the summer, I've heard around $2500-3K US for a good E4OD rebuild also.
prosandguy
prosandguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 20th 2010, 12:44 am

Bill,

My 2 good friends father is looking to sell his 94 or 95 Ford Dually Supercab F-250 or 350 XLT it has a 460 in it and i don't think a whole lot of miles i can check for you on the miles.I guess he needs money it needs cab corners and he has a clean bed for it but it's not on the truck at the moment.His one son was going to paint it but the dad says he needs money he's asking $3,000.00 for it.I can get you some pictures if you want it's only 5 minutes from my house,Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 20th 2010, 2:12 am

prosandguy wrote:Couple of things, not sure what mileage 7.3s you are looking at, with a good cooler and fluid the E4OD trans can be good, but I know some guys that once they put a chip in, they ended up having problems. They are not hard to find, and can be rebuilt to be a very heavy duty deal.
A c-6 won't bolt up to a 7.3, they are different bolt patterns.
I know a couple diesel guys around my place that are going on 175K-200K on the same trans, that tow on a pretty regular basis during the summer, I've heard around $2500-3K US for a good E4OD rebuild also.

Thanks for the info Prosandguy!! These trucks are around 300,000 kms which = 180,000 miles. That's alot to ask of any trans I guess!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 20th 2010, 2:15 am

Mark Miller wrote:Bill,

My 2 good friends father is looking to sell his 94 or 95 Ford Dually Supercab F-250 or 350 XLT it has a 460 in it and i don't think a whole lot of miles i can check for you on the miles.I guess he needs money it needs cab corners and he has a clean bed for it but it's not on the truck at the moment.His one son was going to paint it but the dad says he needs money he's asking $3,000.00 for it.I can get you some pictures if you want it's only 5 minutes from my house,Later Mark.

Thanks Mark, one I'm looking at is asking $1,800 and has a 351W and needs tires, the other is asking $1,000 has a 460 and needs fender and bumper (his kid took it on a ditch tour!). I am leaning toward the 460 equiped one for obvious reasons!!

I will keep that one in mind though Mark! Thanks again.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 21st 2010, 12:23 am

Bill,

I talked to by buddy on Tuesday the truck has 73,000 miles on it and i'm pretty positive that is original miles.I think it's Wild Strawberry Red if you change your mind and think you want pictures just let me know and i'll send them.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 21st 2010, 12:53 am

I have also heard that the chipped/programed Powerstrokes had tranny issues. My 97 PS only has 147K on it and havn't had any issues xcept crank sensor.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 21st 2010, 3:28 am

Mark Miller wrote:Bill,

I talked to by buddy on Tuesday the truck has 73,000 miles on it and i'm pretty positive that is original miles.I think it's Wild Strawberry Red if you change your mind and think you want pictures just let me know and i'll send them.

Later Mark.

Sounds nice, I'll deff keep it in mind!!

I appreciate it!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 21st 2010, 3:31 am

bbf-falcon wrote:I have also heard that the chipped/programed Powerstrokes had tranny issues. My 97 PS only has 147K on it and havn't had any issues xcept crank sensor.

Thanks Rick!

I guess they were built to handle the stock TQ and the chips just push them over the edge!!

The Fords seem to go for a much lower price around here. I have found a few pretty straight trucks for under $3,500. The Dodge and GMs are a bunch more.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper April 21st 2010, 7:23 am

Bill the E4 is the way to go over diesel C6's.
you can run 4:10's and you get a lockup convertor.
But they aint cheap to fix.

there are a bunch of these 4x4's and 2wds for sale up here, just most of them are I6's and the nicest one is a 302 confused

Bill if you find one with a blown windsor in it i can hook you up with the low mileage one thats coming out of my puller truck. (126,xxx kms)
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 21st 2010, 11:29 am

Cool thanks Brent, I'll keep that in mind!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down