BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work......

2 posters

Go down

Work...... Empty Work......

Post  OldRedFord April 21st 2010, 10:55 pm

For the past 4 years I have been involved with construction work. I usually work for one of my old neighbors. He does work for one of the big property owners in the next town, and work on his own.

Well the past two days we have been hanging insulation. Today he was putting siding on a chimney so I went and finished up the insulation on my own.

When I got to the place the guy that he reports to when doing work for the property owner was there. He was like...do you want to make some hazard pay? Im like..what do I have to get on the roof? Hes like no you have to get in a crawlspace. This is me... Work...... Icon_silent Work...... Icon_eek

Turns out something had gotten in the crawlspace of a old building in Covington. Has a hair salon and something else in the building. But anyway...something had died in the crawlsapce and was stinking the place up.

The crawlspace is about 200 feet long and maybe 28' wide. The buildings crawlspace is divided up into two sections that size with a old rock wall running down the middle for support of the floor. Only one known hatch on one side to get down there. Not much room at all, your on your belly the entire time.

So we pop the hatch and (I hesitated a bit...I do not like confined spaces like this at all) we (the aforementioned property manager and I went under the floor.) We went some distance twards one end checking out under loose batts of insulation and trying to look over the rock wall down the middle. There was a gap in the wall but neither of us could fit.

A few times I got a wiff of decay. Ended up going twards the other end of the crawlspace and noticed another spot in the rock wall where it had been busted out at some point to run a drain line. Stuck my head in there to have a look behind. (Only other hole in that rock wall) Smelled a bit of funk. Then decided to look down at the ground immediately on the other side of the wall.

Then the smell hit me full force as I looked at the body of a dead cat. :eek: Crying or Very sad

Man that was rank! :nono:

I tried to scoop up the cat with a piece of siding I had (Loaded up my truck with siding from a neighbors chimney that my friend was working on). Could not get the cat on the board so I grabbed the vapor barrier and slid the cat closer to the hole. Then closed my eyes and reached over and grabbed it by a leg and tossed it on the plastic sheet I had brought with me. Then scrambled for the hatch in the floor. My head pounding and getting really stuffy at this point.

Cat was disposed of. Hopefully the smell is gone now.

My welding gloves smell like dead cat. Work...... Icon_cry

I was wearing the gloves when I cut and handle the insulation and thought It would be a good idea to wear for this other job. Laughing

Now for some pics of the insulation job.

Work...... 519541006_1832184311_0
Standing in the front left corner and looking to the back right corner.

Work...... 519544153_1832196184_0
Standing in front right corner looking to the back left corner.

Work...... 519542738_1832190873_0
My job was to go along and cut small pieces to put at the bottom. The batts are 8' long and the ceiling is about 10' so had to fill in. Had my pieces all laid out so I could just go down the wall and staple them in. Then my buddy would come behind me with the full batts and staple them in above.

Work...... 519544943_1832199200_0
Another in progress shot.

Work...... 519540098_1832180861_0
Finished section.

Work...... 519537899_1832172473_0
Old roof leak.

What I was doing today was going back and filling in a few places that did not take full batts. Like in the third picture I posted, about the middle of that wall is a spot right below the roof beam that is not 16" wide. Had to cut the insulation down the length in about half to fit in there. We had been going from 3-9. Why did we start so late? Took that long to have the insulation delivered.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Work...... Empty Re: Work......

Post  billandlori April 21st 2010, 11:46 pm

Dead stuff ain't nice to deal with......even worse in a small space.

Nice work on the walls, all nice and quiet and warm/cool (depending on season)!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down