BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..?

+12
dfree383
IDT-572
feetfirst
Barry_R
bruno
ndmus88gteng
rmcomprandy
Lem Evans
chuck stevens
c.evans
56Tbird
boss9coupe
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..? Empty KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..?

Post  boss9coupe August 20th 2009, 10:22 am

Guys

the local machine shop measured my crank tunnel with the bearings in and arp studs 200000 series torqued to 100lbs with moly .. they said i have 2.5 thou top to bottom and 8/tenths more across the parting line.. or were the bearings butt up.. is this much difference in clearance normal for this style bearing..? what do you guys think..?
sorry not real hip with engine lingo..hope you understand..

frpp A460 block line honed by (another machine shop)
king main bearing std size box p/n MB5242-HP
back of bearings M5242 STD PRO SERIES KL

Thanks Aaron..

boss9coupe

Back to top Go down

KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..? Empty Re: KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..?

Post  56Tbird August 20th 2009, 10:29 am

The rule of thumb is .001 per inch of journal size. It'll live where your at. You'll see all your wear on top and bottom not at the mating spots on the sides.

Last edited by 56Tbird on August 20th 2009, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..? Empty Re: KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..?

Post  c.evans August 20th 2009, 10:29 am

Aaron,

Yes, that's normal. You only measure for proper bearing clearance "on the vertical", meaning from 12:00 high to 6:00 bottom. The greater bearing clearance from 3:00 to 9:00 is built into the bearing by design.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans August 20th 2009, 10:31 am

56Tbird wrote:The rule of thumb is .003 per inch of journal size. It'll live where your at. You'll see all your wear on top and bottom not at the mating spots on the sides.

Dan,

Check your math. I think you meant .001" per inch.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 20th 2009, 10:32 am

Yeah ,I corrected it Uncle Charlie... affraid
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens August 20th 2009, 9:36 pm

? .0008 at the parting line ???

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 20th 2009, 9:44 pm

chuck stevens wrote:? .0008 at the parting line ???

Think it was .0008" more at the p. line .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..? Empty KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..?

Post  boss9coupe August 21st 2009, 7:37 am

sorry guys..

yep .0008" more at the parting line or as the machine shop explained it to me 8/tenths of 1 thou" more at the parting line..

Thanks for your help

Aaron

boss9coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 21st 2009, 10:15 am

If your machine shop had a question about it ... I would find a different machine shop. One who is aware of what is actually happening out here in the real world.
That is what is called bearing "eccentricity" and more or less of that eccentricity is built into evey brand and style of bearing shell throuout the world.
.0008" is really not very much...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 21st 2009, 10:32 am

Randy ,thanks for coming here and offering your advice!!! We appreciate you my friend.Please feel welcome and hang around Very Happy Take care, Dan-O
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  boss9coupe August 21st 2009, 11:59 am

Randy ..

Yes you are correct...and i will...you seem to be able to read between the lines.. Shocked Wink

I'm learning slowly lol!!

Thanks Aaron..

boss9coupe

Back to top Go down

KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..? Empty BEARING CLEARANCE'S MIXING BEARING SHELL HALFS..??

Post  boss9coupe August 22nd 2009, 12:54 pm

just reading in carcraft magazine online tech section..

about customising bearing clearance..they are saying you can increase or decrease the clearance...by using a half shell undersize +0.001 or -0.001 oversize with a half std bearing shell from the same series bearing and manufacturer !! Shocked .. is this correct ??

and if so could i get closer to were (i think ?) i should be by mixing them?

these are my clearance's now .0029" on the rods.. scat h beams and king std size hp bearings.. I'd like to be closer to .0025" if needed

.0025" on the mains king std size hp bearings.. I'd like to be closer to .0027" to .003" if needed

and also if this is do-able were would you put the oversize bearing in the rod half or the cap?
and the mains the undersize bearing in the block half or the main cap?

is this MIXING a "no go" in your opinion..??

I will be running a Kaase oil pump and oz brand (penrite) 20/60 weigh mineral oil.. maybe will go lighter..
any education appreciated..

thanks Aaron..

boss9coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2009, 1:28 pm

Halfing is a common practice .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  ndmus88gteng August 22nd 2009, 2:29 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Halfing is a common practice .
very good info. could someone explain the proper method . top1/2 bottom 1/2 ect. study study study

500 plus WOW good job guys
Rick

ndmus88gteng

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2009, 3:26 pm

Either way seems to work fine .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 22nd 2009, 4:57 pm

Bearing Tips And Tricks
1. Always check your micrometer with a standard before measuring.

2. Always use the same micrometer for the journals and to set the inside mic diameter.

3. Torque the rods and mains to spec before measuring a bearing inside diameter.

4. Changing rod bolts or moving from bolts to studs in the main caps will affect bearing clearance.

5. Temperature will affect the accuracy of the micrometer and the size of journal diameters both inside and out.

6. If you have one tight and one loose rod-bearing combination, try switching the bearings between the two. We've seen this work several times when the clearances are just a little bit off.

7. Never mix different bearing families when customizing bearing clearance. If you are using Federal-Mogul coated bearings, don't mix in a half shell uncoated race bearing.

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2009, 6:21 pm

"Never mix different bearing families when customizing bearing clearance. If you are using Federal-Mogul coated bearings, don't mix in a half shell uncoated race bearing"

It's been done with good results .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 22nd 2009, 6:29 pm

x2 ... all the time

1/2 Federal Mogul - 1/2 Clevite

1/2 ACL - 1/2 Federal Mogul

1/2 King - 1/2 Clevite

1/2 aluminum - 1/2 tri-metal

1/2 bi-metal - 1/2 babbit

1/2 coated - 1/2 Alecular

And any mixture of all of the above.
Don't vary the halves by any more tha 1/2 thousandth of inch between them.

EDIT: Get those oil clearances where you want them to be...

Last edited by rmcomprandy on August 22nd 2009, 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2009, 6:35 pm

Those bearings aint that smart.....the lower ACL doesn't the upper is a FM . Wink

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 22nd 2009, 9:56 pm

so the different materials that the bearings are coated with have no effect scratch ............ on the life of the whole deal ...... dont flame me on this one guys just learning Smile

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2009, 10:09 pm

The way I see it...if one was coated that'd be a good thing . Coatings are not manditory [spell] but a nice thing in a high end engine....so why would it be bad to put one half of one in a rod/main ?

Where did the opinion you posted come from ...a mag. or the net ?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 22nd 2009, 10:29 pm

magazine

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2009, 10:49 pm

Typical mag. deal . But the good thing about it was that 'we' got to talk about it and get the fact of the matter out there .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

KING MAIN BEARING CLEARANCE'S AT PARTING LINE..? Empty BEARING CLEARANCE'S MIXING BEARING SHELL HALFS..??

Post  boss9coupe August 23rd 2009, 2:12 am

WOW! this is great info.... Cool

Thanks to all..

Aaron

boss9coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 23rd 2009, 12:08 pm

When mixing rod bearings, it is usually good to keep all the top halves one type and the bottom halves the other type but, I have seen them all over the place in a pinch.

Years ago ... a guy who was a "consultant" where I worked ALWAYS used a different top half than bottom for a thrust main bearing. He said that both bearing shell materials would impart their best qualities for containing crank thrust.
He was a pretty famous person who had a garage in Daytona Beach.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next