BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can moly and mild steel plate be welded together?

4 posters

Go down

Can moly and mild steel plate be welded together? Empty Can moly and mild steel plate be welded together?

Post  jbozzelle May 3rd 2010, 4:52 pm

I have some motor plate tabs that are already cut. Basically all I need to do is hold and weld them to some mild steel plate doublers that I already have welded on the frame rails. Is it OK to mix moly and mild plate? Any special wire needed on the MIG?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Can moly and mild steel plate be welded together? Empty Re: Can moly and mild steel plate be welded together?

Post  Northwest outlaw May 3rd 2010, 4:56 pm

Yea you can mix m/s and c/m stander wire will be fine....
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Can moly and mild steel plate be welded together? Empty Re: Can moly and mild steel plate be welded together?

Post  jbozzelle May 3rd 2010, 4:59 pm

Thanks

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 3rd 2010, 7:50 pm

Mild steel & 'moly can be Tig welded to each other no problem with an ER70S-2 Tig filler rod. But Mig welding 'moly just isn't the best idea in my opinion.

If your going to try Mig welding 'moly I would use Argon (or mix) for the gas (vs straight CO2) & use a E70S-6 Mig wire.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 3rd 2010, 10:17 pm

Thanks Dave. I'll pass that to my welder. He was unsure himself. It's only a few pieces, but it is holding the engine down after all. I'm unsure if it even is moly plate. I was told it was...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 3rd 2010, 10:20 pm

I tig'd my front strut tubes which are CM to my existing cage which is MS, used the filler rod Dave mentioned, been holding up fine for the last 5 years............and I inspect all that stuff on a regular basis.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down