BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update

+7
DILLIGASDAVE
knrclark
69F100
richter69
cool40
bruno
cobrakid8
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update Empty Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update

Post  cobrakid8 June 5th 2010, 12:41 am

Hoping to take the car out tomorrow if the weather holds off and get some test passes in. We went tonight but it would not stop sprinkling so they called it off. The car ran a best ever 6.14 at 112.00 last month and we changed the gear out from a 4.10 to a 4.30 and we will see how much it picks the car up tomorrow, I have a feeling we will have to change over to a 4.56 or 4.86 to get the car to run the 6.00 index class but we had the 4.30 already setup so it was easy to change over. Any guesses on how much the car will pick up if any tomorrow? Also has anyone made the same gear change and if so how much did you pick up in the 1/8. The car is a tube chassis 1991 Mustang weighs 2775 with driver. Motor is a 466 CID Aluminum Kaase SCJ heads with a powerglide transmission. Again it ran a best of 6.14 at 112.00 last month best 60ft was a 1.43 or 1.42 (cannot remember) with the 4.10 gear in the car. Will try to get some videos if I can if the new camera will work for me and if someone else is able to get dad in the water-box.

later,
Doug

Last edited by cobrakid8 on July 3rd 2010, 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update Empty Re: Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update

Post  bruno June 5th 2010, 7:51 am

goodluck Doug ...... hopefully it will net you some single digits

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update Empty Re: Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update

Post  cobrakid8 June 6th 2010, 11:16 am

Well guys we are quite disappointed here. Took the car out and ran 4 passes with the new 4.30 gear. The best pass was a 6.30 at 109mph. Not sure what is going on with the car, but after the car running a 6.13 and a 6.18 last time out we were sure the car would run at least a 6.0 something. I will say the car was pulling to the right some all night long, we lowered the leave chip down to 4400 from 4800 and the last pass seemed to pull less but we did not pick up any on the 60ft and than lost about 6 or 7 hundredths to the 330. We are jerking the 4.30 out soon and getting a 4.86 setup for us and hope to take the car back out in a few weeks and maybe than work on the 4 link some and preload it so that it does not pull to the right but not sure what happened to the car, the only changes to the car were the gear and we built a air pan for the car but took it back off after the first pass to have a more closer test to last months. I have one video of the car that was taken with my digital camera(not great quality but you can see it pull right). I will try to get it on soon.

Thanks,
Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update Empty video from 6/5/2010

Post  cobrakid8 June 6th 2010, 11:53 am

Here is a video from last night. the car was not pulling as far to the right as it had previously. sorry that it is not the greatest quality but it was taken from a digital video camera so it cannot be focused while in video mode. I do think the car looks pretty good with the new paint, I just wished we could afford a aluminum spoiler for the car I think it would look even better.

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update Th_MOV05335

thanks,
Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 6th 2010, 12:39 pm

what kinda shocks do you have on the rear?you may tighten up the rebound on them and help the bounce.it looks like its hitten the tires too hard and maken it frog off the line.if it were ladder bars i could tell you more but 4link aint my cup a tea. Smile the 4.86 gear should be good for you as far as 1/8 mile,depending on rpm it likes,BUT it will make your suspinsion issues worse cuz it'll hit the tires even harder.i'd plan to take some bite out of it,however you do that with a 4 link. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 6th 2010, 12:40 pm

motor specs? converter stall? shift rpm? trap rpm? weather conditions?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 6th 2010, 12:44 pm

Doug did you set the preload with you in the car are someone close to your waite sitting in the driver seat Thats what we had to do on RX 7 to get it leaving strieght it was jumping out like yours and will help alittle on the wheel hop or bounce you have. It just take alittle time to get everything adjusted and strieghten out
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 June 6th 2010, 1:08 pm

466 with aluminum Kaase SCJ heads pushing about 600HP(never dynoed). Probably could use a new converter, it is a PTC I think the stall is 4200 9 inch. Leave chip was 4800 for 3 runs the video run we set it at 4400. The shift rpm was not really set last night we shifted it on a timer since our box crapped out it was set at 3.00 the first run than lowered down to 2.4 seconds by the last run, should have been at 2 or 2.2 for it to shift at the 6500 we usually shift the car at, was getting on the high side chip(7k) for a very short time on most of the runs, was going through the lights at around 6250 or so. Next time out should have a new rpm selector box and will shift it at 6500 and it usually traps at the same 6500. The weather was around 82 degrees until the last run and it was down to 75 but the humidity went from 48 on the first 2 runs to 64 on the last run, barometer held at 103 the whole day. It was a decent track last night(it is a heads-up track night run 4.70, 5.70, 6 and 7 flat classes) but not as nice as the last time out so I figured the car with the new gear would run a 6.08 or so compared to last months weather. This is all on gas and it was about 4 degrees hotter and the humidity was 43 when it ran a 6.13. I really wished we would go to alky but that is not my call and my dad hates the stuff after we ran our last 2 motors on it, so we went back to gas. We run 110 Sunoco in the car also.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 6th 2010, 1:09 pm

Doug Cool40 is right get the suspinion issue fixed the gear change will make for it leaving alittle more crazy with it hitting the suspinion with the gear change making it hit harder on take off.Rick has a 4.86 in the rx7 now 60 foot times at 1.26 to 1.24
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 6th 2010, 1:52 pm

how heavy is the car?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update Empty Gears Doug

Post  knrclark June 6th 2010, 10:33 pm

Doug,

I don't know you but I can tell you about my gear problems. I also have a 466 A-429 heads on alcohol. I have been running a 488 gear and everyone told me to go to a lower gear. The best I had ever run at a local track was 6.31. I went to 430 and picked up 1.8 tenths. It ran 6.18 after getting it to hook right. The track was awful at first and came around about my 3rd pass. It ran 6.18, 6.19 and then 6.21 in first round, lost 60' time again. I took it to the Bash and ran a best of 6.24 in the heat.

In my personal opinion the higher gear will not help that much. Charlie is working on my heads as we speak and I should pick up a bunch. My intention is then to get a professional to get my chassis figured out. My car, 2388 lbs., will not sixty foot. Best 60' with the 430 is 1.39... sucks for this light of car huh. I have a feeling the engine is pretty close to where it needs to be but the chassis is way off. It sounds like we have similar problems.

Good luck Doug
Kerry
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 6th 2010, 10:38 pm

See for the 1/8th mine likes the 4.86 over the 4.57, converter is a tad tight so that may be it. By tight its only 5600..............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 7th 2010, 6:19 am

The first thought with a crooked right/left launch is usually a side-to-side preload problem. But the car's rolling burnout looked so damn straight that I'm not sure it's preload. While the video is a little lacking in quality, it appears to me that you staged a little too far to the left out of the center of the groove. That is one possible cause of the right launch if the left slick grabbed better than the right. It could have also just been crappy track/lane prep. Did it also try to drive right at the finish line too, or was it going straight down track?

The rear suspension reaction does look a little confusing because on one hand there was quite a decent amount of initial separation hit smacking the sidewall down into the track surface which makes the suspension look on the loose/violent side. But after the initial hit the car kinda looked like it was bouncing on the sidewalls more than bouncing on the springs making it look like the suspension was stiffer than shit (or possibly like it was ridding collapsed on the shock snubbers). But again it's hard to tell with the video quality.

I could also swear that I see sparks (or something glowing) just under the back bumper of the car as it leaves.

Where is the I/C sitting at, what brand shocks, how tight/loose are the shock's extension & compression valving set, what weight springs?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 7th 2010, 8:26 am

IMO.I think you are screwing up w/going to a 4.86 gear. The gearing is not your problem. The 4.30 should be perfect for that car.Like Jon said we need more info,like what CR,Cam,Timing,etc.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 June 7th 2010, 8:39 am

thanks guys for all the comments. The car weighs 2750 with me or my dad in it 200 pounds. The timing is at 28 right now, we set it right after we put the motor back together and it has not been touched so far, as most of you have said we think there are some suspension problems that we really need to get worked out to get this thing running the best that it can. Car seems to be running great after it gets past the .60 ft and everything right around 100ft it seems to be straight for the rest of the run, the last pass was the one that I was able to get on the video was by far the best with it leaving straight, the other 3 passes before it just would head straight to the wall and than he would have to bring her back to the tracks and than she would run. I really wished we could get the car scaled out and than make sure she is straight, I do think the lowering the laugh RPM to 4400 did help compared to the 4800 the other 3 runs were at. Also the cam is 726 726 @ .020 .304 intake .312 exhaust @ .050 it is .268 intake .276 exhaust with centerline 108.0.

Thanks,
Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug June 7th 2010, 1:22 pm

Heck I have a couple pairs of 5.86 and I think I even have a set of 6.50 if you want to hear it wind up.....
but I am like Rick the 4.30's should be good...

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 June 7th 2010, 1:35 pm

Well we have got to get the car to 5.90's so that we can run the 6.00 class and have a little to work with, the class is tough so you have to have the car and the tree both to have a chance to go rounds. So we thought that the 4.86's plus getting the suspension issues resolved should get us in the 5.90's for sure. We are going to try and get a set of wheelie bars soon and than we can hopefully get back to the track once the gear is put in and make a few passes and get the 4-link setup correctly. We have never changed anything on the rear-end of the car since we first got the motor and made passes with the car. The car drove straight as a arrow with the 4.10 gears in the car but after the gear change is when it started going right. If we can get the car back to where it was the 4.86 gears should get us to the 5.90's as long as she goes straight! Hopefully we will have our chassis man there next race, because he was not there this race or we would have worked on the rear end of the car while we were at the track.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird June 7th 2010, 1:43 pm

I'll bet you it goes alot harder right with the 4.86 .you'll get a more violent hit the lower gear you use.It'll suprise me if you pick up over 3/100's with the gear. But I've been wrong many times before.Best of luck Doug!!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 June 7th 2010, 2:05 pm

Thanks Dan, you to, if you need any help on the car just let us know, we have been through it also, although not near as fast as you were going! Sorry to hear about the car but if you need anything just let me know! Also the car ran a 6.13 with the 4.10 gear in the car, our friend made a jump in his car from a 5.14 to 4.86 and it slowed down about 2 tenths so that is why we are hoping that with the suspension issues resolved and the new gear we hope to run the 6.00 class, we really cannot lose any weight except my fat butt losing some, and he will not go alky so not sure what else to do!

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 July 3rd 2010, 11:19 am

Well guys have another update from last night, dad took the car while I was with my little one at his MX race, Took the car out with no other changes except the gear going from a 4.30 to a 4.86 rear gear. Dad took the car out for the first pass off the trailer and dropped the leave chip down to 3600 and the shift chip at 6400 the car ran a 6.28 off the trailer and ran straight as a arrow dad said, so he went and changed the leave chip to a 4800 or 5000 and the shift chip to 6800 and the car ran a 6.121 and had our fastest ever 60ft 1.355. He said the car drove pretty straight and he knew it was on a pretty good run, but it took the car back to the trailer made no other changes but dropped the air pressure from 7.5 to 7 and it ran a 6.24. He let the car cool back down changed the air pressure back again and the car ran a 6.17, so we really are lost with what is going on, I mean it is so inconsistent that although slow if it was consistent at least I could bracket race but it is all over the place, and the car has not picked up anything really from 2 months ago when it ran the 6.13 with the 4.10 gear in the car. Dad finally just loaded up and brought the car home said he will no touch it for a few weeks he is so frustrated, that is just does not make any sense at all. I think I almost have him talked into putting the car on alky and maybe that would help the deal reach 6.00 but we have had no luck with alky motors staying together so that is why we switched back to gas in the first place, I do not have any timeslips for right now but I do know that the car when it ran the 6.13 with the 4.10 it has a 1.38 60ft and than last night with the 4.86 and 6.121 it had a 1.355 60ft. I really wished we could get the car straightened out and run consistent and run a 6.00. You guys have a safe and fun filled 4th of July weekend
her is my son with his 2nd place trophy from last night I think I finally know how my dad feels when he stepped out of the seat of the car to start letting me race Laughing

Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update DSC06918DSC06918
Test-N-Tune tomorrow **video added***** another update DSC06941DSC06941

Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 3rd 2010, 11:23 am

So much for the tall gear theory I here so much about........................ Laughing

Be sure to get a cape when you go alky................... Cool Wink

Congrates on the young un's race..............

You need to get all the slips together and see where its off, that will tell you if its a leave, or downtrack issue etyc, could even be the sprag in the converter slipping if it has one.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 July 3rd 2010, 12:34 pm

yeah I will get those slips together as soon as I get over to my dads house, he took off this morning to Huntsville to watch our friends race the 6.00 race down there. So we shall see

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 4th 2010, 12:17 am

whats the converter doen?stall w/o chip on the brake?reason i ask is the et goen everywhere can be a converter issue. Smile and did you say it's at 28*on the timing?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 July 4th 2010, 2:55 am

yeah I do think we have some issues with the converter we really need to send it back to PTC the same converter I think was behind the small block that we used to run it is 4500 stall converter I was just told, we will check it to see what it does without the chip we were hoping to try and save some money up by getting this car to run what we need it to so that we can finally get to work on the Ranger and the motor for it but it looks like that might be put back on hold again so that we can get this car running like it should. Also the timing has been set at 28 since we put the motor back together and has not been touched so we will also check that sometime soon to make sure nothing has happened to the timing also.

Thanks,
Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 4th 2010, 12:11 pm

you'll be needing a converter if the one you have was for a sbf.i ran a 8"that was built for my car,it only 60'd 1.34 @ 4800 t/b.pulled it out and tried a 10"i had on the shelf and picked up a tenth and had to footbrake it to stay off the bumper.converters are the most important part of a race car,IMO,cuz if it aint goen to the rear wheels it dont make a dam how much power you have.i'd be sure the timing went to 32*to start with and it may like more.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next