BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller lifter differences?

+3
Lem Evans
Frank Kramer
J.Toney
7 posters

Go down

Roller lifter differences? Empty Roller lifter differences?

Post  J.Toney June 5th 2010, 4:16 pm

Tore into the engine this week for some work, and found it's time to replace some lifters. Going to buy a complete set. My concern is, what if I change brands? Does anyone know if this will affect pushrod cup height? Currently, I have older COMP 836 lifters. I am trying to decide on MOREL, or COMP ENDURE-X. I would hope the COMP would be a drop in deal. And the MOREL looks a bit pricier, but I expect you get what you pay for. Any info is appreciated. Smile Joe

P.S. Can any suppliers contributing to this site get me these MOREL sets? Thanks
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Roller lifter differences? Empty Re: Roller lifter differences?

Post  Frank Kramer June 5th 2010, 6:11 pm

Make sure that you will have the same seat height for your pushrods.

Or you will need to change your pushrods also...

Frank
Frank Kramer
Frank Kramer

http://www.seasideaffair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 5th 2010, 6:17 pm

J.Toney wrote:Tore into the engine this week for some work, and found it's time to replace some lifters. Going to buy a complete set. My concern is, what if I change brands? Does anyone know if this will affect pushrod cup height? Currently, I have older COMP 836 lifters. I am trying to decide on MOREL, or COMP ENDURE-X. I would hope the COMP would be a drop in deal. And the MOREL looks a bit pricier, but I expect you get what you pay for. Any info is appreciated. Smile Joe

P.S. Can any suppliers contributing to this site get me these MOREL sets? Thanks

You have the ones before they added the pin oiling? The ones with the pin oiling will get more laps for sure. Did the old ones break or just found to be loose?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  norm June 6th 2010, 2:52 am

yes they are the older non-pin oiling type. they are a old set of mine that i replaced with the pin-oiler type comps, then sold these to joe. he is doing some work and pulled some lifters out just to check and there are a couple that don't seem right, don't feel good spinning the roller. he is just trying to get ahead of the game and put a new set in before one comes apart and eats up other stuff.

are the morel's considered a better lifter than the comp's? and if he were to change to morels are the oil bands/ oil holes/ pushrod cups same dimension as the comps?
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain June 7th 2010, 8:32 am

The dimensions of the Morel lifter are nearly identical to the Comps EXCEPT for their diameter/bore clearance which is what limits the oil to the upper end of the engine. The Morel lifter is about .0005 larger if I remember correctly and this makes a BIG difference in the oil flow. So much so that on an SVO block that's properly metering oil with the Comps it's too stingy with the Morels. In a production block they are very good.

Also, I don't believe that they have the forced pin oiling setup if that matters to you. I'm not convinced that oiling or the lack thereof is the cause of roller lifter troubles.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor June 7th 2010, 9:23 am

I didn't see it mentioned, but I believe Mr. Straub of Straub Technologies, http://straubtechnologies.com/index.html, a member here - "cstraub" I think, is one of the best places in the country to get Morel lifters.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor June 7th 2010, 9:32 am

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139420
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 7th 2010, 10:16 am

norm wrote:yes they are the older non-pin oiling type. they are a old set of mine that i replaced with the pin-oiler type comps, then sold these to joe. he is doing some work and pulled some lifters out just to check and there are a couple that don't seem right, don't feel good spinning the roller. he is just trying to get ahead of the game and put a new set in before one comes apart and eats up other stuff.

are the morel's considered a better lifter than the comp's? and if he were to change to morels are the oil bands/ oil holes/ pushrod cups same dimension as the comps?

I'd send them back to CompCams and get them rebuilt using their rebuild program. As long as the body itself is not scored they will mag them for cracks, (discard any bad one's), and fit them with new rollers, needle bearings and axles.
You may end-up with 13 good ones and then just replace the 3.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum