BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non BBF help please

4 posters

Go down

Non BBF help please Empty Non BBF help please

Post  torkair June 12th 2010, 1:37 pm

I'll be getting a set of flat tops for my 400 in a parts trade and after running the build through a few CR calculators it keeps coming out to about a 10.7:1. The pistons are flat tops normally for a 351C but I figure since the compression height is virtually the same for the 400 I could clean them up a bit, put on some new rings and rod bearings and throw them in but after seeing that kind of compression I think I'd be on the extremely far side of the detonation danger zone for pump gas and iron heads. Please help!!!
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Non BBF help please Empty Re: Non BBF help please

Post  the Coug June 12th 2010, 1:45 pm

calculate how much would have to be removed from the top to get the compression you wish for and have them trimmed...a competant machinest should be able to chuck them in a lathe and trim them for you....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Non BBF help please Empty Not as easy as that!

Post  fordman460 June 12th 2010, 3:00 pm

Yes this is almost a direct bolt in but three things need to be done.

First, as you know is to bush the 400 rods to accept the smaller 351C pin, no biggie.

Second, more likely than not the 351C pistons do not have a groove for circlip pin retainers, the OEM using a press fit in the rod which won't work with a floating bushed set up, so the piston's pin bores will have to be grooved on the ends.

Third, the second thing leads you to a pin that's too wide, the pins will need to be ground shorter by about .100 inch.

Found this on the net. Not my words but same stuff that I found when checking it out for one of my cars.
fordman460
fordman460

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair June 12th 2010, 3:10 pm

All Cleveland motors use the same rods, convenient but confusing at times. Milling the slugs will probably be my best bet, especially since I'll need valve reliefs for the 4v valves.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  fordman460 June 12th 2010, 5:33 pm

torkair wrote:All Cleveland motors use the same rods, convenient but confusing at times. Milling the slugs will probably be my best bet, especially since I'll need valve reliefs for the 4v valves.
Sorry but I am not the one that is confused! Read up bud. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_335_engine
fordman460
fordman460

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 12th 2010, 5:55 pm

With the 400 you need to get some quench in them, typical factory stuff is way in the hole, them you need to deal with the open chambers if your running the factory heads. I'd suggest looking for some auzzie heads and getting some proper pistons / decking the block

yes 10.7 is to high with the oc heads and pump gas with typicall street cams. 9 to 9.5 is the most I'd try.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum