BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank?

+6
Injected65
westsideford
bbf-falcon
Lem Evans
bruno
deliveredfast
10 posters

Go down

Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank? Empty Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank?

Post  deliveredfast August 22nd 2009, 12:15 am

Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank like the ATI does???? thx.
deliveredfast
deliveredfast

Back to top Go down

Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank? Empty Re: Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank?

Post  bruno August 22nd 2009, 8:04 am

Charles here is the instruction sheet , also what brand crank do you have ?

http://innovatorswest.com/instructions/Generic%20Install%20Instructions.pdf

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank? Empty Re: Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank?

Post  deliveredfast August 22nd 2009, 10:03 am

adney brown=scat
deliveredfast
deliveredfast

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 22nd 2009, 11:26 pm

deliveredfast wrote:Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank like the ATI does???? thx.

in the instruction's it says not to hone

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2009, 11:55 pm

At the end of the day....o.d. of the snout vs the i.d. of the dampner hub is the deal ...could the the dampner hub be small ...yes...could the crank be large ? The rest of this story is called engine building . About .001" interference fit is good . It aint legos or Lincoln logs .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  deliveredfast August 23rd 2009, 1:42 am

Thx guys.
deliveredfast
deliveredfast

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 23rd 2009, 1:20 pm

So Lem, are you saying it's OK to hone a little if need be? I did and I can't see the problem w/it. Idea

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  deliveredfast August 23rd 2009, 1:40 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:So Lem, are you saying it's OK to hone a little if need be? I did and I can't see the problem w/it. Idea
I believe he is saying it may or may not be necessary its gonna depend on what you have and if ur having trouble or not. I believe the ATI dampeners tell right off the rip that you have to hone them. I could be wrong though.
deliveredfast
deliveredfast

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 23rd 2009, 2:08 pm

Yes , ATI darn sure gotta be honed . I've seen some after market cranks that the snout was a tick bigger than a stock Ford 460....in that case A guy'd need to hone the dampner no matter the brand .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm

Yea, Thats true. My ATI fit all of my Ford Cranks,then when I got my new crank from Adney , I tried to slip it on and it said(I don't think so)but,it did'nt take much.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford August 23rd 2009, 9:02 pm

My experience:

Scat Balancer and Scat Crank. I tried to install and it was way too tight. I purchaced a MAC Tools Installer and the balance wanted to go on crooked. Measured the crank and balancer. Sent out the balancer to be honed. Went on fine after that.

x2 on the hone deal ^ above.
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Injected65 August 26th 2009, 6:03 pm

Generally it is not needed to hone them, but like it has been mentioned above it depends on the OD measurement of the crank snout. We have seen some come in over spec and a couple that were below spec. Feel free to hone them if needed, but be careful to leave .001" press fit. If the rare occasion comes up that you have a crank that is undersized, give us a call and we can make up an undersized hub and hone it to your crank specs.

Chris
Innovators West
Injected65
Injected65

http://www.innovatorswest.com

Back to top Go down

Post  deliveredfast August 26th 2009, 9:07 pm

Injected65 wrote:Generally it is not needed to hone them, but like it has been mentioned above it depends on the OD measurement of the crank snout. We have seen some come in over spec and a couple that were below spec. Feel free to hone them if needed, but be careful to leave .001" press fit. If the rare occasion comes up that you have a crank that is undersized, give us a call and we can make up an undersized hub and hone it to your crank specs.

Chris
Innovators West

hey Chris, is it a fluid dampner?
deliveredfast
deliveredfast

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 26th 2009, 10:08 pm

The dampening mechanism is a wet clutch pack design. The fluid inside is not there for dampening but for its lubrication and heat dissipation properties. Prior to 1997, under the previous ownership, the dampners were more prone to leak. Since that time the fastener arrangement was changed around and the parts starting being made with CNC machines. There are no more leak issues.

i believe Chris said this somewhere .... i keep good notes Very Happy

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Injected65 August 26th 2009, 11:05 pm

bruno wrote:The dampening mechanism is a wet clutch pack design. The fluid inside is not there for dampening but for its lubrication and heat dissipation properties. Prior to 1997, under the previous ownership, the dampners were more prone to leak. Since that time the fastener arrangement was changed around and the parts starting being made with CNC machines. There are no more leak issues.

i believe Chris said this somewhere .... i keep good notes Very Happy

Have you been tapping the phones? affraid Smile
Injected65
Injected65

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 27th 2009, 7:40 pm

Does the Inovator's west dampner have to be honed to fit the crank? Innovatorswest

This the unit we put on Bruno's 562"

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  norm August 27th 2009, 9:00 pm

i take it they use a chevy balancer pulley like the ATI's do.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  Injected65 August 27th 2009, 9:03 pm

There is a stock 460 style dampner for the long snout cranks that has the stock 4 bolt pulley pattern. There is also a version for the Boss snout cranks that has the Chevy bolt pattern as more of the race guys were using Chevy pulleys and drive mandrels.
Injected65
Injected65

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 27th 2009, 9:06 pm

I guess its all a matter of don't assume everything is ok and check stuff regardless. If its needs loved on then love on it. Even the pulley deal, just make it work to fit your application.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  norm August 27th 2009, 9:09 pm

Injected65 wrote:There is a stock 460 style dampner for the long snout cranks that has the stock 4 bolt pulley pattern. There is also a version for the Boss snout cranks that has the Chevy bolt pattern as more of the race guys were using Chevy pulleys and drive mandrels.

okay thank you
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 27th 2009, 9:42 pm

As fine a balancer as money can buy in my opinion. And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I own one! Wink Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY August 27th 2009, 9:47 pm

Nevs wrote:As fine a balancer as money can buy in my opinion. And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I own one! Wink Cool
x2 Very Happy
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down