BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb spacers??

+3
BigBlockFalcon
c.evans
curiousgeorge
7 posters

Go down

Carb spacers?? Empty Carb spacers??

Post  curiousgeorge June 26th 2010, 12:13 pm

I have two intakes right now a Port-O-Sonic and a Victor. The Offy has been fully ported and polished and is a 4150 flange I'm running a 2" adaptor to the 4500 carb. The victor is a 4500 flange and I'm running the carb straight on the manifold. I have changed the intakes around this year and can tell no difference in the way it runs. I had a lifter go bad and I'm getting a new cam from Bret Powell and was going to put the Victor back on. I was thinking about a Jomar powercone on top of an open 1"spacer to see if it would help with carb signal. Any different suggestions or am I going the right way? This is on a 490" pulling truck A-429CJ heads with the chip set at 8500 (don't know where the new cam will want to run yet.) Thanks guys

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Carb spacers?? Empty Re: Carb spacers??

Post  curiousgeorge June 26th 2010, 3:27 pm

Forgot to mention that the Victor has been gasket matched and smoothed up with sandrolls.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 26th 2010, 6:40 pm

Run the 1" Jomar Power Cone on top of the 4500 carb pad Victor manifold. Or,,,,,,,buy a new TFS Street Mafia intake manifold when they come out next month (or so) and run the 1" Jomar Power Cone on top of it.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge June 26th 2010, 9:12 pm

c.evans wrote:Run the 1" Jomar Power Cone on top of the 4500 carb pad Victor manifold. Or,,,,,,,buy a new TFS Street Mafia intake manifold when they come out next month (or so) and run the 1" Jomar Power Cone on top of it.

Charlie

Thanks, I plan on switching to the new tfs intake this winter. I'll add the Power Cone to my order with Lem monday.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockFalcon June 29th 2010, 9:58 pm

How much is a 1" Jomar Power Cone??
BigBlockFalcon
BigBlockFalcon

http://www.fquick.com/BigBlockFalcon

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 29th 2010, 10:13 pm

BigBlockFalcon wrote:How much is a 1" Jomar Power Cone??

Give BFEvans a call and ask for parts. They are more then the plastic 4 hole deals, but worth the money! Very Happy

Mine should be here in a few days Twisted Evil
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 June 30th 2010, 12:22 am

pic's please.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockFalcon June 30th 2010, 5:16 pm

kjett wrote:
BigBlockFalcon wrote:How much is a 1" Jomar Power Cone??

Give BFEvans a call and ask for parts. They are more then the plastic 4 hole deals, but worth the money! Very Happy

Mine should be here in a few days Twisted Evil

I just wanted to know the prices. We already have a Wilson tapered spacer. I might buy a Jomar for my little FE and try both of them.
BigBlockFalcon
BigBlockFalcon

http://www.fquick.com/BigBlockFalcon

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 30th 2010, 9:18 pm

Here is the 4500 Power Cone I just got in the mail today:

Carb spacers?? IMG00042-20100630-2057

The spacer cost about $75, which is much cheaper than the HVH or the Wilson spacers. And the best part is I've heard from several sources that it works better than the others as a bonus. Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 30th 2010, 9:40 pm

The "Power Cone" would be a good guess ... but, you would still have to test several in order to find what works best.
On a prop drag boat with a Port-O-Sonic manifold, after all the testing was finished we had 1" open spacer with a large bore "Power Cone" on top of that with a 1" thick having 2 1/8" diameter 4 hole and then another 1" thick with 2" diameter 4 hole on the very top.
That is 4" of total spacer after several dyno pulls to test them.

Now a 1" thick "Cloverleaf" made the best power of a SINGLE spacer but, when stacking multiples, it wasn't as good on that engine/manifold as what we ended up with; and the "Cloverleaf" wasn't even in the final mix.

Now, I realize you probably can't do all that testing however, this is merely to let you know that there are many, many different combinations and finding the best one is simply an educated guess as to what has worked in similar situations.

EDIT: All were JOMAR phenolic spacers, by the way.
They all come with guide pins so stacking them is in perfect alignment.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on June 30th 2010, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 30th 2010, 10:01 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:The "Power Cone" would be a good guess ... but, you would still have to test several in order to find what works best.
On a prop drag boat with a Port-O-Sonic manifold, after all the testing was finished we had 1" open spacer with a large bore "Power Cone" on top of that with a 1" having 2 1/8" diameter 4 hole and then a 2" diameter 4 hole on the very top.
That is 4" of total spacer after several dyno pulls to test them.

Now a 1" thick "Cloverleaf" made the best power of a SINGLE spacer but, when stacking multiples, it wasn't as good on that engine/manifold as what we ended up with; and the "Cloverleaf" wasn't even in the final mix.

Now, I realize you probably can't do all that testing however, this is merely to let you know that there are many, many different combinations and finding the best one is simply an educated guess as to what has worked in similar situations.

I'm going this weekend to dyno my motor. So I picked up the Jomar, a 1" 4 hole, a 1" open, and turned another 1" 4 hole into a cloverleaf. Figure between the 4 I should find a good combo. I will also have the 1/2" NOS plate in there all the time. My only problem I can forsee is with the exhaust. I'm starting a new thread to address that so I don't hijack this one. Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 30th 2010, 10:23 pm

kjett:
On most applications which I've tested, a Nitrous plate with spray bars seems to want to be directly under the "Power Cone" with a 1/2" open or NO spacer below it.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 30th 2010, 10:26 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:kjett:
On most applications which I've tested, a Nitrous plate with spray bars seems to want to be directly under the "Power Cone" with a 1/2" open or NO spacer below it.

Thanks for the info, I'll go out and get a 1/2" open to test with as well. Worst case is there will be a bunch of extra spacers for sale in the auction block next week. Very Happy

Oh, and for info, I'm running a Victor intake with minor smoothing/radiusing under the carb pad.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Carb spacers?? Empty Spacer

Post  Mark Laczo July 1st 2010, 9:02 am

kjett,

I will be watching your results, as that will be very interesting indeed. I will be also dynoing later this summer and was going to try different spacers but will be using a 1250 Quickfuel. What carb are you using ? I read on here somewhere the spacer had to be clearanced for the larger 1250 throttle blades. Did you detail your build somewhere on here yet ?

Thanks Mark
Mark Laczo
Mark Laczo

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett July 1st 2010, 9:37 am

Mark,

I have a build thread over in the proven builds section. I will definitely post back with results as to what worked best with my combo. My carb is a 1150 dominator hp (7320 I believe). There is a different Jomar spacer for the bigger bore 1250 carb.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett July 3rd 2010, 11:24 pm

Mark,

The results are in! Cheack my build thread in the proven builds section for the dyno results. Here's a link:

https://www.429-460.com/proven-builds-f4/466-ranger-build-t5399.htm#66539
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down