BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i need help finding the best 460 block

+5
DanH
96Mustang460cid
69F100
bb429power
bigmichael1
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

i need help finding the best 460 block Empty i need help finding the best 460 block

Post  bigmichael1 July 9th 2010, 6:09 pm

hi all i need help i want to build my frist drag car i doing it with my kids i want to do a 95 towncar i going to go with a big block more for the low end tork to get it moveing any way i looking at the 460 big block just woundering what the best year block to go with i can get one out of a 92 E450 van will this be a ok block or shoud i go with a older motor from the 60's to 70's block or is there any diff between them thank
mike from wisconsin sorry about my spelling

bigmichael1

Back to top Go down

i need help finding the best 460 block Empty Re: i need help finding the best 460 block

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 6:16 pm

The older ones like the 60's and 70's are better. They are internally balanced and they are more quality made casts. Also, the newer blocks have the cylinders extended into the crankcase more so that's a downfall. It takes away from its stroking capabillities, unless you want to machine it. Look for an early block and if you can get a cj or scj block. They have thicker main webs.

I'll let the hero get his cape on, Fabio (richter69) will be here before you know it to answer all your questions and then some. He's the BIG DOG of the forum.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

i need help finding the best 460 block Empty Re: i need help finding the best 460 block

Post  69F100 July 9th 2010, 6:24 pm

1st what kind of HP and what rpms you plaining on running any 460 will do just depend on what you are going to build
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid July 9th 2010, 6:26 pm

bb429power wrote:The older ones like the 60's and 70's are better. They are internally balanced and they are more quality made casts. Also, the newer blocks have the cylinders extended into the crankcase more so that's a downfall. It takes away from its stroking capabillities, unless you want to machine it. Look for an early block and if you can get a cj or scj block. They have thicker main webs.

I'll let the hero get his cape on, Fabio (richter69) will be here before you know it to answer all your questions and then some. He's the BIG DOG of the forum.

I highly doubt I'm the, "BIG DOG" you referenced, but I'll chime in anyways.

Even with the newer blocks (D9TE), you can go with a 4.5" stroke without grinding...so I don't think the longer cylinders are a downfall. In fact, for a stroker application, most would see it as being advantageous (some may argue how 'large' of an advantage though).

Also, I don't think the older blocks are higher quality castings. A block summit a few years ago, if I remember right, shown no specific casting as being predisposed to thicker cylinder walls (I'm not sure about the CJ and SCJ).

I'm sure others will chime in. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get to see the "BIG DOG" put his $0.04 on the subject Smile.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 6:32 pm

96Mustang460cid wrote:
bb429power wrote:The older ones like the 60's and 70's are better. They are internally balanced and they are more quality made casts. Also, the newer blocks have the cylinders extended into the crankcase more so that's a downfall. It takes away from its stroking capabillities, unless you want to machine it. Look for an early block and if you can get a cj or scj block. They have thicker main webs.

I highly doubt I'm the, "BIG DOG" you referenced, but I'll chime in anyways.

Even with the newer blocks (D9TE), you can go with a 4.5" stroke without grinding...so I don't think the longer cylinders are a downfall. In fact, for a stroker application, most would see it as being advantageous (some may argue how 'large' of an advantage though).

Also, I don't think the older blocks are higher quality castings. A block summit a few years ago, if I remember right, shown no specific casting as being predisposed to thicker cylinder walls (I'm not sure about the CJ and SCJ).

I'm sure others will chime in. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get to see the "BIG DOG" put his $0.04 on the subject Smile.

Have a good day!
Michael
Well I have a 71 block and when I would tell someone (they were all BBF experts) the year of it. They would tell me it was a good block, they said the earlier years are better because they were made before Ford started cheaping out and mixing nickle in with the cast. I could be wrong but that's where I got the idea from.

And I called him the "BIG DOG" because everyone seems to idolize him as the best racer on here. I guess he's the expert, he is a A+ know it all racer from what I have seen and heard.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid July 9th 2010, 6:41 pm

bb429power wrote:Well I have a 71 block and when I would tell someone (they were all BBF experts) the year of it. They would tell me it was a good block, they said the earlier years are better because they were made before Ford started cheaping out and mixing nickle in with the cast. I could be wrong but that's where I got the idea from.

And I called him the "BIG DOG" because everyone seems to idolize him as the best racer on here. I guess he's the expert, he is a A+ know it all racer from what I have seen and heard.

Actually, nickel would normally be a positive in that application;). You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146739&highlight=nickel

I was just poking fun at Jon with ya Wink.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid July 9th 2010, 6:44 pm

bb429power wrote:And I called him the "BIG DOG" because everyone seems to idolize him as the best racer on here. I guess he's the expert, he is a A+ know it all racer from what I have seen and heard.

Also, I wouldn't give him too much credit...mainly, he just talks a lot a !hit to people Razz . Okay, that's all the !hit talking I'm doing for this month!

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH July 9th 2010, 6:52 pm

bb429power , don't know where you get this info , but should do more reading in the tech-- on the forums that posting .

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 7:45 pm

That's one of the things I learned from word of mouth. Like I said, I was told those things. But I read a million things about engines mainly BBF's so I do know my way around for the majority of things. I hear ya 96mustang Wink I'll read up on that also. The information I got about the longer cylinders and not being able to stroke it as much I got from another forum. It seems like the ONLY things I learn from other people except from on here ends up being wrong. Or so I am told by the people on here which they are usually right.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 9th 2010, 8:11 pm

Big Daddy AC here, and Michael Dunn is correct. The factory blocks are equally capable. The BOSS and 4 bolt SCJ stuff being more desirable for their 4 bolt mains. I am using a D9TE block and had no trouble installing my 4.5" crank. A problem can arrise when trying to install an early internal balance crank into a later model block. Always check clearances. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 9th 2010, 8:16 pm

If the 92 block is priced right, it's as good as any other non boss or non scj block. They do have longer cylinders and external balance, plus the early internal factory cranks will not fit without alot of grinding.

The higher nickle thing is total bs urban legand.

The early dove blocks, (read some 429 cj & PI and all scj's) had 4 bolt mains, all outers and most cj's had 2 bolt mains, these blocks are the easiest to convert to 4 bolt mAins due to the bulkheads / rails being conpletly flat.

2 bolt blocks are pretty safe to 750 hp and have been used at much greater levels.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 July 9th 2010, 8:17 pm

If you go to Proven Builds and look at the block sticky it will lay it out for ya.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 9th 2010, 8:23 pm

Down side to the 92 motor is the heads, the are unique to the 460 efi motor and intakes and headers do not interchange with stuff produced for early / carb'd 429/460's. Their are no intake avaliable for the efi heads.

They work well but its the parts avalibility that's keeps them from being used in most performance applications.

Last edited by dfree383 on July 9th 2010, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 8:25 pm

schmitty wrote:Big Daddy AC here, and Michael Dunn is correct. The factory blocks are equally capable. The BOSS and 4 bolt SCJ stuff being more desirable for their 4 bolt mains. I am using a D9TE block and had no trouble installing my 4.5" crank. A problem can arrise when trying to install an early internal balance crank into a later model block. Always check clearances. Cool
I knew that, but that's why I figured you couldn't stroke it as much because I figured the throws o a larger crank would be out farther. Never assume! That's the lesson.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 8:31 pm

I hate when someone tells you something and you thank them and think "they really helped me out there and they really tought me something too" and then you find out its complete BS.

Well I know about the newer heads in comparison to the older ones as in D3VE vs. D0VE and how they flow different and what each is better for.

Thanks for helping me teaching me something in the process, I'll be told I know a lot then this crap happens. Even stuff I read in books can turn out wrong, I guess like I've said before. It the experience that's got me down, that's where you learn most of it. Smile
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 9th 2010, 9:13 pm

Justin, don't sweat it, you are in the house of honest knowledge here.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2010, 9:17 pm

I looked up in the sky and the beacon was a shinin'...........hung up my red phone with Lem, grabbed my cape....and here I am................ Very Happy ..................

Fabio the A + know-it-all racer slash HeRo at your service.............. Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 9:22 pm

richter69 wrote:I looked up in the sky and the beacon was a shinin'...........hung up my red phone with Lem, grabbed my cape....and here I am................ Very Happy ..................

We really do need to get this guy a beacon. Laughing

Big Daddy, Laughing I can bearly say that without cracking a smile. Well I have realized quickly that people here usually give you great knowledge and go out of their way to help you. I just wish I could return the favor, and no not like that fabio. I know how your mind can wander. Razz

Last edited by bb429power on July 9th 2010, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2010, 9:24 pm

bb429power wrote:
richter69 wrote:I looked up in the sky and the beacon was a shinin'...........hung up my red phone with Lem, grabbed my cape....and here I am................ Very Happy ..................

We need to buy this guy a sky light. Laughing Shine it in the sky and he'll know that someone needs his help.

Big Daddy, Laughing I can bearly say that without cracking a smile. Well I have realized quickly that people here usually give you great knowledge and go out of their way to help you. I just wish I could return the favor, and no not like that fabio. I know how your mind can wander. Razz

Schmitty is "Big Daddy"...............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 9:25 pm

That's who I was talking to for the second part. By the way, I wasn't here when you named him that. So whats the story behind that one? Why'd ya name him big daddy?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2010, 9:29 pm

Blake is "The Snake"

Coug is................well.............. the Coug

KY Jelly is "KY mustang" aka "pearl necklace"

56tbird is "the King" king ....or sometimes refered to as "the mullet" queen

richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2010, 9:29 pm

bb429power wrote:That's who I was talking to for the second part. By the way, I wasn't here when you named him that. So whats the story behind that one? Why'd ya name him big daddy?

devildog named him that, I took it to the next level................ Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 9:33 pm

richter69 wrote:devildog named him that, I took it to the next level................ Laughing
Oh yeah that's right, can't be official without HeRo approval. Admin approval means nothing, the HeRo's run the show around here.

I thought Chuck was the mullet. Thanks for the rundown, I just heard the Coug was named the C.O.P of the Buy Sell Trade. Laughing I'm gonna be lonely when I'm 50-60 some years old on here and none of you guys are around anymore.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 9th 2010, 9:45 pm

richter69 wrote:
bb429power wrote:

We need to buy this guy a sky light. Laughing Shine it in the sky and he'll know that someone needs his help.

Schmitty is "Big Daddy"...............

And Fabio is HeRo. HeRo is a real cool dude. How come. HeRo gets a cape and red phone and Big Daddy don't?
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 9th 2010, 9:50 pm

Stop whining, you got the name that every single one of us has been waiting to get. Laughing I don't have a nickname, except for in auto I was called "the coon".
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next