BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting Line / Staging & Lights

+2
bbf-falcon
westsideford
6 posters

Go down

Starting Line / Staging & Lights Empty Starting Line / Staging & Lights

Post  westsideford August 24th 2009, 12:12 am

Hey,
I'm still totally a rookie and I'll admit it. But I have a question regarding staging. Here we go!

If both cars are staged. You don't have deep on you window. Right before the lights come down you put out the top staged bulb, will that foul the car? What I mean by that is, let the car roll a lil.

My R/T time ie: "footbrake" is slow.. can this help and will it work?

I want to try it.. has anyone done this? I understand that it makes a better chance to redlight??

Talk to me!
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Starting Line / Staging & Lights Empty Re: Starting Line / Staging & Lights

Post  bbf-falcon August 24th 2009, 5:09 am

Yes,you must have( deep)on the window or it will foul you Embarassed
and if you have a car that has a quick 60' you will more than likely go red if you leave on last yellow,but slow 60's will benefit from the deep stage. It will take some practice.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford August 25th 2009, 12:50 am

bbf-falcon wrote:Yes,you must have( deep)on the window or it will foul you Embarassed
and if you have a car that has a quick 60' you will more than likely go red if you leave on last yellow,but slow 60's will benefit from the deep stage. It will take some practice.

Thanks.. Going to the "Pinks" foot braking and I know the car lags because of it. Never ran a Pro Tree either. We have a Friday Test & Tune.. I'd like to try the deep deal..

Ya Rock! Very Happy
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord August 25th 2009, 1:52 am

Not to hijack, but what is a holeshot?

And why can a car run a slightly slower ET then the other car, but win?
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  kim August 25th 2009, 9:23 am

Reaction time will win a race, if it is legit. But deep stage reaction time versus shallow stage reaction time doesn't mean a damn thing if both cars run the same....

Reaction time is simply the measurement of the window between the green being triggerd and the car actually leaving the last staging light. Simple as that. Now ALL things equal, the car that leaves that light sooner, is ahead at the starting line. But all things are seldom equal.

Lots of people take advantage of larger diameter front tires. The beams are blocked longer, but the car can actually start accelerating sooner..... and build speed before the smaller diameter tire car can risk leaving, and potentially red lighting. Each car can have an equal reaction "time" but the large diameter tire car has an acceleration advantage.

When it comes to sponsers, contracts, etc....... well the 1 thing a driver controls over all others is does he or she cut a good light.... If someone is comming up for a new contract, you can watch for them to deep stage a car more often. Looks good on paper no matter who won or lost, that one driver typically cuts better lights. Won or lost can be blamed on engine tune, clutch, god.. etc. But when/how a driver reacts... that is driver alone.

Hole shot, is simply one driver leaving before the other, and a slower car beating a a higher MPH car simply by the fact that it left sooner

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 August 25th 2009, 8:09 pm

Not to hijack, but what is a holeshot?

And why can a car run a slightly slower ET then the other car, but win?

Remember it isn't who ran the fastest but who crossed the finish line first. A car can win by having a better reaction time(meaning they left the line sooner) even though the other car ran the 1320' quicker but didn't get to the finish first because they got beat by a "holeshot".
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 25th 2009, 8:29 pm

Deep staging has it's place, but it's harder to maintain consistency when deep staging. If you stage normally, you just barely tickle the bottom bulbs and you KNOW where you are on the starting line. The only variable then is your actual reaction time.

If you deep stage, all you know is that you've moved out of the top bulb's beam and are still in the bottom bulb's beam. That's several inches of "no man's land" that is an unpredictable variable.

Just my opinion.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down