BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EFI460 in '79 Bronco help

+5
res0rli9
cool40
schmitty
95lightiningguy
BlackBeauty79
9 posters

Go down

EFI460 in '79 Bronco help Empty EFI460 in '79 Bronco help

Post  BlackBeauty79 July 14th 2010, 10:37 pm

Hey guys this is my first post besides introduction.
I recently found an EFI 460 from an 87-91 F350 while i was searching for a Dana60, and i really wanna swap this into my bronco for these reasons:
A) gas mileage??
B) more power
C) better idling/running than my carb
D) cold winters
E) steep angles

So when I go about doing this swap, I plan to use all the wiring and computer from the 460 obviously, so where do you guys think would be an ideal place to mount the computer? I was thinking under the hood on the firewall probably on the passenger side near the inner fenderwell somewhere. any other opinions?
also what wires would need splicing? what should i look out for when doing the swap?

Do I have to use the flexplate and torque converter from the 460 or my 351M? theyre both autos

Any other info/input/suggestions is more than welcome Very Happy
thanks
BlackBeauty79
BlackBeauty79

Back to top Go down

EFI460 in '79 Bronco help Empty Re: EFI460 in '79 Bronco help

Post  95lightiningguy July 14th 2010, 10:48 pm

If it were me I would just put the whole drivetrain from the F350 into the bronco. Just me though. The computers were on the cab behind the inner fender so in the engine compartment may be alright. sounds like a fun project. Look forward to following along with it. Very Happy
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackBeauty79 July 14th 2010, 10:49 pm

thanks and im just swapping in the motor nothing else
BlackBeauty79
BlackBeauty79

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 14th 2010, 10:55 pm

I would think that putting the OE setup in would be more of a PITA than it would be worth in the long run. As far as MPG, I doubt there would be any difference. Both are going to get about 10 or so. You can make a lot more power with a carb than the OE EFI will support. The idle/run characteristics can be figured out with a proper carb for your uses. A good off road carb will be a better choice than the factory EFI setup IMHO. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy July 14th 2010, 10:55 pm

If you dont mind me asking why not the transmission too. If it is an OD tranny it will be good for gasmileage maybe.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 14th 2010, 11:03 pm

the computer must go inside,in the dry.you'll need all the stuff from the doner and it can be done but it'll be a lota work.i saw a setup the other day on a torino that looked and worked realy good.i think it was called fast efi?he said the complete deal was 1800$,sound's kinda high but think about how easy one day to install it would be or go with the 87 efi.the stock efi wont be very friendly with a bigger cam and other mod's.good luck. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 July 14th 2010, 11:08 pm

[quote="95lightiningguy"]If it were me I would just put the whole drivetrain from the F350 into the bronco.

Thats what I would do also.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackBeauty79 July 14th 2010, 11:13 pm

Im just swaping the motor. hte truck is only 2wd, otherwise I would
BlackBeauty79
BlackBeauty79

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly July 14th 2010, 11:34 pm

This is an excellent swap. Most people ditch the EFI just because they do not want to take the time to study the wiring a little. The EFI harness is separate from the main electrical harness.
There are only a couple of electrical connections between the main harness and efi harness. Mostly just key on power and constant power. Take the time to slowly remove the harness, Main part will run down the right side to the motor. Make sure to get the complete engine harness part. Just outside the firewall are 2 large connectors. On the inside there is a few wires that will run over to the dash trace these down and get the MIL Light ( check engine) and connector for programmer interface for the computer.

If you are willing to learn about a little EFI electrical check out the diagrams on www.fordfuelinjection.com Ryan has done a huge job researching For EFI. Lot of info on his site. Ryan also offers a universal EFI wiring harnesses that should work with your engines and computer. I have one and it is an excellent well made harness. Might want to give it some thought considering the age and condition of the factory harness. Those 2 large round connectors in the engine bay were know to cause problems.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackBeauty79 July 14th 2010, 11:37 pm

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:This is an excellent swap. Most people ditch the EFI just because they do not want to take the time to study the wiring a little. The EFI harness is separate from the main electrical harness.
There are only a couple of electrical connections between the main harness and efi harness. Mostly just key on power and constant power. Take the time to slowly remove the harness, Main part will run down the right side to the motor. Make sure to get the complete engine harness part. Just outside the firewall are 2 large connectors. On the inside there is a few wires that will run over to the dash trace these down and get the MIL Light ( check engine) and connector for programmer interface for the computer.

If you are willing to learn about a little EFI electrical check out the diagrams on www.fordfuelinjection.com Ryan has done a huge job researching For EFI. Lot of info on his site. Ryan also offers a universal EFI wiring harnesses that should work with your engines and computer. I have one and it is an excellent well made harness. Might want to give it some thought considering the age and condition of the factory harness. Those 2 large round connectors in the engine bay were know to cause problems.

thank you so much bud!!! really appreciate that. ill deffinetly check out those diagrams, thanks again
BlackBeauty79
BlackBeauty79

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy July 15th 2010, 1:51 am

BlackBeauty79 wrote:Im just swaping the motor. hte truck is only 2wd, otherwise I would
Duh. It would make sense and you even said it was two wheel drive. Still gonna be pretty cool. Very Happy
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 July 15th 2010, 5:53 am

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:This is an excellent swap. Most people ditch the EFI just because they do not want to take the time to study the wiring a little. The EFI harness is separate from the main electrical harness.

That is a cool site. Thanks. Cool
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane July 15th 2010, 1:21 pm

Bill, glad to see you posting again. You have a lot of knowledge and information (links) that can help quite a few people, don't be shy. Very Happy
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT July 16th 2010, 10:27 pm

This sounds like a great swap... I too have intentions of one day doing a EFI 460 into my 1979 Bronco. mainly for ability to work in off camber situations.

you might want to take a look at www.fullsizebronco.com also, it has a wealth of info thats (obviously) bronco specific.

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum