BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

im confused ..cooling system question

+6
TravisRice
richter69
kjett
dfree383
Lem Evans
bruno
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

im confused ..cooling system question - Page 2 Empty Re: im confused ..cooling system question

Post  res0rli9 July 30th 2010, 2:53 pm

if it was me, Id change the head gaskets just to be on the safe side. But thats just me.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

im confused ..cooling system question - Page 2 Empty Re: im confused ..cooling system question

Post  bruno July 30th 2010, 5:31 pm

KY JELLY wrote:How did you get the air in your water system then ? Did you leave a certain amount of air for expansion ?

ok so when i removed the intake to get the Nos flowed it was winter time so i poured in some antifreeze , when i got the intake back i drained her and filled her up with tap water , and filled it up to the top of the radiator ..... iam i supposed to leave air in the system ????

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 30th 2010, 5:48 pm

bruno wrote:
KY JELLY wrote:How did you get the air in your water system then ? Did you leave a certain amount of air for expansion ?

ok so when i removed the intake to get the Nos flowed it was winter time so i poured in some antifreeze , when i got the intake back i drained her and filled her up with tap water , and filled it up to the top of the radiator ..... iam i supposed to leave air in the system ????

When you released the pressure did it blow water out ? There needs to be a small amount of air for expansion water will not compress it will expand when its heated or frozen , if it had a lot of air in it and did not blow water out when you released the cap you are either getting air from a cylinder and lost some water some where or had an air pocket when you filled it up.

Does the water have a red tint to it ?

KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno July 30th 2010, 7:41 pm

yes it did blow water out .... it had a greenish tint to it ....

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno July 30th 2010, 7:42 pm

also the manifold is about 6-8" taller then the radiator cap and there is no air bleed on this csr water neck ..

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 30th 2010, 8:19 pm

you could have just had an air pocket trapped , did you circulate the water when you were filling it and check it again after putting the cap on and warming the engine ? I assume you have an electric pump. Smile
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno July 31st 2010, 8:43 am

yes and yes ...... i will retorque the head gaskets and put her back together , drain old coolant and put in distilled water ....

just one more question on the re-torque of the gaskets ...should i bust them all loose and retorque or should i just tighten them up a click ???

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 31st 2010, 8:58 am

I busted them loose in normal sequence one at a time and re torqued before moving to another stud. Mark nuts with a sharpie to see if they tightened some . I am not running distilled water in mine just tap water.

I would test it after you get done by engaging the transbrake and bringing it up to launch rpm and make sure you are not losing any water, you can even hook up a pressure gauge to the over flow hose or fitting where the water can't escape and record the pressure it gets to while warming the engine , after hitting the transbrake , and after cool down .

Watch or have someone to make sure no water blows out between the head/ block/ gasket when you test it on the t brake
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno July 31st 2010, 9:03 am

Thxs Randy for all your help .....

i know Charlie evans made a comment in reguards to torquing my heads down but i cant seem to find that thread but as far as the final torque # what should it be 135 , 145 , 155 ????

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 31st 2010, 10:14 am

135-140

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno July 31st 2010, 2:35 pm

no more then 140 ...... gotcha ..i thought Charlie had some higher #s ...o well

thxs Lem and Randy for the help

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 31st 2010, 3:25 pm

With 30 or 40 wt. oil.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 31st 2010, 3:29 pm

Lem Evans wrote:With 30 or 40 wt. oil.

I use green 20-50 oil............. Razz
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 31st 2010, 3:35 pm

richter69 wrote:

That's the 3rd choice Wink

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 31st 2010, 3:52 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
richter69 wrote:

That's the 3rd choice Wink

That's The HeRo's choice........... Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 1st 2010, 6:58 am

do i need to bleed of the air in the coolant system ?

and what size restrictor are yall using in the water neck housing ?

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY August 1st 2010, 8:30 am

You should be able to push the air out by turning the pump on / off several times. When you pull the cap make sure the pump is running you will usually have a void (air) under the cap, add water with the pump running. When you get most of the air pushed out the top hose / water neck area is where the air should be. If you pull the cap off without the pump running most likely water will run out the cap .

You just need to make sure you don't have air trapped in the block or radiator it will finally work its way to the highest point.

I do not run a restrictor so can't help you there.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 2nd 2010, 9:39 pm

This is a little different than your setup, but the principal is the same. On my setup where my radiator is in the bed of the truck, I have a thermostat housing that has the plug into it. When I fill the system, I keep plus loose and add water until it starts t ocome out of the plug, then I tighten the plug, turn the pump on to circulate the coolant and top off the radiator while it's moving the water. Get's the air bubbles out in no time.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 13th 2010, 8:06 am

yep ...must be some sort of odd reaction ....have duplicated the issue 2 times already both with 2 types of caps one is a 16lb and a 13lb deal ..... and there is lots of pressure in the system .......

just glad its not the gaskets ........ i havent even started beating on her Twisted Evil

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 13th 2010, 8:19 am

Maybe one of your kids shoved some of your home cookin in the radiator hole and now it has gas drunken
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 13th 2010, 9:56 pm

You can get the pH test strips for checking coolant, it should be very close to a pH of 7 (neutral).

A very small amount of anti-freeze will still give the water a green tint. Having iron and aluminum together is like a small battery if the coolant is even a bit acidic (lower pH).

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2