BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP,I NEED A SPARK PLUG 3 OR 4 HEATS RANGES COLDER FOR MY 460BBF DOVE HEADED MOTOR

+5
rmcomprandy
k.pascoe
Barney
Lem Evans
jaysstang
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HELP,I NEED A SPARK PLUG 3 OR 4 HEATS RANGES COLDER FOR MY 460BBF DOVE HEADED MOTOR Empty HELP,I NEED A SPARK PLUG 3 OR 4 HEATS RANGES COLDER FOR MY 460BBF DOVE HEADED MOTOR

Post  jaysstang July 30th 2010, 10:34 am

TRYING TO FIND A SPARK PLUG THAT AUTOZONE SELLS THAT IS 3 OR 4 HEAT RANGES COLDER THAN STOCK, THEY CANT LOOK IT UP UNLESS I HAVE THE PART # OR A CAR MODEL ,I NEED IT ASAP IM RACING TODAY,MINES 18MM
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

HELP,I NEED A SPARK PLUG 3 OR 4 HEATS RANGES COLDER FOR MY 460BBF DOVE HEADED MOTOR Empty Re: HELP,I NEED A SPARK PLUG 3 OR 4 HEATS RANGES COLDER FOR MY 460BBF DOVE HEADED MOTOR

Post  Lem Evans July 30th 2010, 10:39 am

AR 33 autolite would be best.....if they do not have them try 124.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

HELP,I NEED A SPARK PLUG 3 OR 4 HEATS RANGES COLDER FOR MY 460BBF DOVE HEADED MOTOR Empty Re: HELP,I NEED A SPARK PLUG 3 OR 4 HEATS RANGES COLDER FOR MY 460BBF DOVE HEADED MOTOR

Post  Barney July 30th 2010, 10:43 am

I use 124s in my setup and have always had good results.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang July 30th 2010, 11:33 am

heys guys thanks a million,sorry to be so stupid, but this is my 1st bbf
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang July 30th 2010, 11:36 am

i called they say the 303 is the same as 124 plug in autolite ,do you know if thats right
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  k.pascoe July 30th 2010, 12:58 pm

Try Autolite number BTF-1 Great plug!!!

k.pascoe

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 30th 2010, 9:13 pm

A "D0VE" head uses a large 18mm threaded spark plug. You can't get to what you want from where you're at.
Permanent spark plug insert-adapters from "Garrett Machine and Welding" is the only possibility.
www.garrettmachine.com

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang July 31st 2010, 9:49 am

im checking into the adapters, i ran the 124s last night, it picked up 5 hundredths, with the plug and some more tuning..i put a 830 cfm carb it didnt like it at all, it likes the 1050 alot better, even made more low end and top end with the dom., i did get some info on where the cam likes to run,it came on strong about 5000rpm and pulled to 6100 hard , and really the higher i went in rpm the harder it pulled, i only got 5 passes so , didnt get to try running it higher in the rpm,i think it would love being shifted at 6500,but i only have a 3500 stall, and its in gear forever ,im thinking it needs about 4800 stall ,flashing it on footbrake,what do you all think,and i ordered a 5.00 gear it needs it bad, i was just shifting the c6 in drive at the 1/8th mile ,it has a 4.11 in it now..i run 1/8th mile mostly , how much are the adapters for a set of 8,i couldnt find any prices on the link for them .....
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 31st 2010, 11:27 am

I am sure there is a phone number on that web page.

If the minor cost of those, is a major factor in using them, then you're not serious about spark plug heat range anyway, lol.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney July 31st 2010, 11:48 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:A "D0VE" head uses a large 18mm threaded spark plug. You can't get to what you want from where you're at.
Permanent spark plug insert-adapters from "Garrett Machine and Welding" is the only possibility.
www.garrettmachine.com
What are you basing this on??????????? I spray enough to choke a donkey at my 124s!!!!!! I hate those inserts they are a total pain in the ass. Ill keep spraying my 124s, you keep believing you cant.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney July 31st 2010, 11:50 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:I am sure there is a phone number on that web page.

If the minor cost of those, is a major factor in using them, then you're not serious about spark plug heat range anyway, lol.
124s are plenty cold, ask me how I know. The guy asked for a plug that fits his application, not accessories!!!!
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang August 1st 2010, 9:32 am

thank you, thats what i wanted to say ,but didnt want to make waves....lol, the 124s seem to work great,i picked up 5 hundredths, i also removed the dist.,it had 22 deg. of advance, i tightened that up to 8 deg,set it at 36 deg. total,seems like a different motor , i also removed 1 spring and put a weak 1 on the side i left,but cant run again till next week,we went 6.97 this week 1/8th mile,it was only pulling 16 deg.at 1400rpm ,right where i lanch, didnt have reallly any timing till about 3000 then it went total at 4000 ,so with my tight conv.,it wasnt even getting full timing till i was 80 or more feet out ,i think now i will have full advance at about 2000 and it has 32 by 1600 rpm,so it feels alot stronger
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 1st 2010, 10:02 am

don't sweat the waves, most folks here have "custom" surfboards............ Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 1st 2010, 10:53 am

Barney wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:A "D0VE" head uses a large 18mm threaded spark plug. You can't get to what you want from where you're at.
www.garrettmachine.com
What are you basing this on??????????? I spray enough to choke a donkey at my 124s!!!!!! I hate those inserts they are a total pain in the ass. Ill keep spraying my 124s, you keep believing you cant.

If the 124's work OK then you are satisfied ... however, they are nowhere near a COLD spark plug. He didn't ask for what he needs ... he asked to use a spark plug "3 or 4 heat ranges colder than stock".
If he had to ask the price it is obvious he has never used those inserts and you haven't either so, why are you bad mouthing something you know NOTHING about...?
The simple answer is probably "because you can and doing it makes you feel like a big man who knows something about them".
You haven't got a real clue ... but that is fine as long as you're happy in you own world.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on August 1st 2010, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling corrected)

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 1st 2010, 11:01 am

jaysstang wrote:thank you, thats what i wanted to say ,but didnt want to make waves....lol, the 124s seem to work great,i picked up 5 hundredths, i also removed the dist.,it had 22 deg. of advance, i tightened that up to 8 deg,set it at 36 deg. total,seems like a different motor , i also removed 1 spring and put a weak 1 on the side i left,but cant run again till next week,we went 6.97 this week 1/8th mile,it was only pulling 16 deg.at 1400rpm ,right where i lanch, didnt have reallly any timing till about 3000 then it went total at 4000 ,so with my tight conv.,it wasnt even getting full timing till i was 80 or more feet out ,i think now i will have full advance at about 2000 and it has 32 by 1600 rpm,so it feels alot stronger

I was under the impression that you wanted to go to a spark plug, (and I quote), "3 or 4 heat ranges colder than stock".
You're not THERE with a 124 but, if that plug satisfies what you want, (which isn't what you said), then it's a good thing for your dilema.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 1st 2010, 12:49 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
jaysstang wrote:thank you, thats what i wanted to say ,but didnt want to make waves....lol, the 124s seem to work great,i picked up 5 hundredths, i also removed the dist.,it had 22 deg. of advance, i tightened that up to 8 deg,set it at 36 deg. total,seems like a different motor , i also removed 1 spring and put a weak 1 on the side i left,but cant run again till next week,we went 6.97 this week 1/8th mile,it was only pulling 16 deg.at 1400rpm ,right where i lanch, didnt have reallly any timing till about 3000 then it went total at 4000 ,so with my tight conv.,it wasnt even getting full timing till i was 80 or more feet out ,i think now i will have full advance at about 2000 and it has 32 by 1600 rpm,so it feels alot stronger

I was under the impression that you wanted to go to a spark plug, (and I quote), "3 or 4 heat ranges colder than stock".
You're not THERE with a 124 but, if that plug satisfies what you want, (which isn't what you said), then it's a good thing for your dilema.
too much cafine? Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang August 1st 2010, 1:01 pm

im not trying to get anything started i just wanted some advise on what i needed, yes i did ask for a 3 or 4 size colder plug and i ask if anyone had a plug # that would work for my engine,so both are right, i really dont want to add anything to these heads im looking into some ported a429 heads, so just wanted a bolt in plug that would work ,if 2 sizes is good enough than thats will be ok or if i need a 4 size and have to go to adapters i would also,but the 124s did the trick and im getting a good heat range reading , on the threads,and the coloring on strap and por.,i need to lean the idle out a little, but the mid and wot reading are good on the plug,im looking to get my 2600 lb car in the 5.90s ,ive yet to add a gear, and stall,i figure i might get 1.5 tenths out of the dist.,and carb tuning,it was only 1.58 60ft ,i feel it will go 1.40s now,just from the feel,i been getting some good help from all of you,RM there was no hint of not feeling you know your buss.,it was i just didnt want to go to adapters if i didnt have to,im trying to keep it simple and a budget motor , with a easy way to get off the shelf parts for tuning,at this point,i want to thank DAN also for all his input and all you guys in this thread, i am hoping to go to a 125 shot when all is tuned and gear and stall is working right,so ill be asking alot more stuff, and dont want anyone to feel i didnt think there input was helpful,i should have been more clear on what i was asking....JAY
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 1st 2010, 1:13 pm

if your gona go with a 125 shot you need to figure that out with your converter choice too. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 1st 2010, 2:02 pm

I try not to read anything INTO or OUT OF a presented question and simply answer the question verbatum.
If what you needed to know was something different, the answers I give will probably NOT be fitting for the actual situation.
I can guess but, I have no way of KNOWING what is inside people's minds and I won't "presume" very much.
I'm glad you got the information you neeeded and that is all that matters.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney August 1st 2010, 4:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Barney wrote:
www.garrettmachine.com

If the 124's work OK then you are satisfied ... however, they are nowhere near a COLD spark plug. He didn't ask for what he needs ... he asked to use a spark plug "3 or 4 heat ranges colder than stock".
If he had to ask the price it is obvious he has never used those inserts and you haven't either so, why are you bad mouthing something you know NOTHING about...?
The simple answer is probably "because you can and doing it makes you feel like a big man who knows something about them".
You haven't got a real clue ... but that is fine as long as you're happy in you own world.
No one is badmouthing you, but from someone who uses 124s week in and week out on spray you would think I would know alittle about them... Oh and we use the inserts on our other car, and yes in the real world, between rounds they are a PIA. I guess on a dyno stand they're great, but at the track different story. But what would I. Know, I don't spend my life in a dyno room, just at the track winning championships.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 1st 2010, 6:11 pm

I'm gonna go get my board waxed up............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang August 1st 2010, 6:13 pm

ok where we meeting to surf lol.......need some tastey waves lol....
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy August 2nd 2010, 12:43 am

Where my popcorn. Shocked lol!
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH August 2nd 2010, 8:54 am

Ah -- spark plugs , anybody running them made in China plugs ? had to do it .(ask)

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH August 3rd 2010, 8:06 am

China made plug--- thats what it said on the box of Autolite plugs . whats next

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next