BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

400 help

4 posters

Go down

400 help Empty 400 help

Post  torkair August 1st 2010, 4:28 am

Well I got my motor back from the machine shop, all cleaned up with new bearings and plugs installed, also got the crank polished and new bottom end bearings and rings ready to go in but since I've had everything cleaned out I was thinking of taking the oil pump apart, cleaning it up and reusing it or getting a new pump and chucking the old one in the trash. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by torkair on August 3rd 2010, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

400 help Empty Re: 400 help

Post  johndickjr August 1st 2010, 8:39 am

whats a new one cost..?? $20-30

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair August 3rd 2010, 2:34 pm

After checking around a new pump is in the $25 range, so just gonna get a new one and play with the old one for the experience of doing it. As for assembly, I've got all the pistons ringed and ready to go just was wondering what the prefered method of oiling them before putting them in is, I've seen them dunked in a coffee can full of oil but I don't want burnt oil on the crowns so let me know what you guys prefer to do when putting the slugs back in.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 3rd 2010, 7:16 pm

I dunked mine in a coffee can of oil, but I didn't fire mine right away and I wanted make sure it had lots! You could just get a squirt can of oil and give the rings a few shots.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair August 4th 2010, 10:42 am

billandlori wrote:I dunked mine in a coffee can of oil, but I didn't fire mine right away and I wanted make sure it had lots! You could just get a squirt can of oil and give the rings a few shots.

Bill

Was thinking of doing that, but wondering what kind of oil to use such as regular engine oil or maybe a few drops of lucas oil stabilizer in the ring gaps, then tighten the ring compressor and give the slugs a few good turns before dropping them in just to get some good coverage.

On a side note my brother keeps saying put them in dry and the rings will seat within the first few minutes of operation, but this seems like suicide for a new motor, any thoughts?
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 4th 2010, 10:50 am

Oil can, give a squart or two to the rings and one on each skirt and use your finger to rub it around Hit the pin with a shot and install. No need to dunk them its to messy.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum