BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox body control arms

3 posters

Go down

Fox body control arms Empty Fox body control arms

Post  SLOWnSTEADY August 2nd 2010, 3:20 pm

I was thinking about buying these: http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=BCK2&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&bhcd2=1280776724

but was wondering if I would be just as well of boxing my stock ones and installing poly bushings on the lowers and new rubber bushings on the uppers? I know I should get adjustable but I don't know anything about chassis/suspension geometry and what not so I will need to read up a bunch before I spend the money on those.

SLOWnSTEADY

Back to top Go down

Fox body control arms Empty Re: Fox body control arms

Post  whatbumper August 2nd 2010, 9:21 pm

If it's a drag car I would buy adjustable uppers and lowers. Since you are inexperienced with suspension and appear to be a little apprehensive, I would just set them to the exact stock lengths and run them like that for a while. Adjustable uppers are a MUST though for any high torque stock suspension setups. that is how you adjust the axle side to side AND pinion angle.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  SLOWnSTEADY August 2nd 2010, 9:59 pm

yeah, it is a street/strip car. 500HP~ N/A and I plan a 150-200 shot sooner or later. What about adjustable uppers and boxed, stock lowers?

what do you mean by "stock" suspension? are you talking BONE stock or just not full coilover/4-link/ladder bars etc..?

my plan is to just run some "launch/drag" springs on stock shocks for now. I plan to upgrade to some adjustable stuff sooner or later but I really want to get this car to the track and get a few runs before I start a bunch of work to it.

As of right now the chassis is bone stock other than the SubFrame Connectors, reinforced/welded torque boxes and it has an explorer Trac Lock 8.8 disc rearend with, I think, 4.10 gears.

build break down is here: https://www.429-460.com/introduction-f8/hello-from-iowa-t6317.htm#73211

SLOWnSTEADY

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 2nd 2010, 10:55 pm

SLOWnSTEADY wrote:yeah, it is a street/strip car. 500HP~ N/A and I plan a 150-200 shot sooner or later. What about adjustable uppers and boxed, stock lowers?

what do you mean by "stock" suspension? are you talking BONE stock or just not full coilover/4-link/ladder bars etc..?

my plan is to just run some "launch/drag" springs on stock shocks for now. I plan to upgrade to some adjustable stuff sooner or later but I really want to get this car to the track and get a few runs before I start a bunch of work to it.

As of right now the chassis is bone stock other than the SubFrame Connectors, reinforced/welded torque boxes and it has an explorer Trac Lock 8.8 disc rearend with, I think, 4.10 gears.

build break down is here: https://www.429-460.com/introduction-f8/hello-from-iowa-t6317.htm#73211

The heavy lowers even boxed will flex which is not good. I mean "stock suspension" as no 4 link or ladder bars just replacement parts. If I was starting a build I would go Adjustable uppers and lowers, stock rear springs, stock shocks (if 50/50 or adjustable shocks are out of budget).

After that when budget allows you need adjustable rear shocks and adjustable fronts.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  SLOWnSTEADY August 2nd 2010, 11:01 pm

whatbumper wrote:
SLOWnSTEADY wrote:yeah, it is a street/strip car. 500HP~ N/A and I plan a 150-200 shot sooner or later. What about adjustable uppers and boxed, stock lowers?

The heavy lowers even boxed will flex which is not good. I mean "stock suspension" as no 4 link or ladder bars just replacement parts. If I was starting a build I would go Adjustable uppers and lowers, stock rear springs, stock shocks (if 50/50 or adjustable shocks are out of budget).

After that when budget allows you need adjustable rear shocks and adjustable fronts.

Well, I just don't know what good the adjustable uppers and lowers would do me right now since I don't know enough about suspension geometry to adjust them anyways. I don't really have anyone that I know who is very knowledgeable on the matter either. Do you have any good reads for me? I have been looking around and reading but to be honest I am still not comfortable messing with the suspension all that much.

SLOWnSTEADY

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 2nd 2010, 11:18 pm

The thing is, it's cheaper to put them on now and not need it then have to buy it later and try to sell what you bought.

For a lower horsepower ride like you are talking about rear suspension is pretty simple. You can get away with non-adjustable lowers BUT the very cheaply built fox body platform is not always built true. You can use adjustable lowers to square up the rear end in the chassis. Adjusting the uppers is very simple and I can talk you through it over the phone if you need help. 903-870-8109 Justin M. or 325-895-1826 Josh M. The only tools you need are a good tape measure, wrenches, a good angle finder (I think you can borrow a digital one from Autozone), and a good eye. Now if you add an ARB later then scales are needed but not really now.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 3rd 2010, 12:40 am

whatbumper wrote:The thing is, it's cheaper to put them on now and not need it then have to buy it later and try to sell what you bought................You can get away with non-adjustable lowers BUT the very cheaply built fox body platform is not always built true.

Besides more adjustability is always more "gooder". Better to have a ton of adjustability and not need it, than to be stuck needing more adjustability and not have it.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum