BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thinking about changing to alky ....

+10
gdog
DaveMcLain
95lightiningguy
c.evans
whatbumper
bbf-falcon
Maddmattmustangs
richter69
KY JELLY
Jeremiah
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

thinking about changing to alky .... Empty thinking about changing to alky ....

Post  Jeremiah August 7th 2010, 5:15 pm

give me some advice ...

Last edited by Jeremiah on August 7th 2010, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

thinking about changing to alky .... Empty Re: thinking about changing to alky ....

Post  KY JELLY August 7th 2010, 5:54 pm

The only disadvantage is you will probably change your oil a little more often until you get a feel for running it and learn the tricks. Don't start it just to hear it run, etc lol! . Get it warm 190 -200 before you shut it down after a race and pull the breathers / evac hoses and let the moisture evaporate.

You will also need to drain the system if its going to set for a while 2 months or so because it is corrosive .

KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

thinking about changing to alky .... Empty Re: thinking about changing to alky ....

Post  Jeremiah August 7th 2010, 7:36 pm

What kind of fuel pump/reg will I have to get? also what size alky carb am i looking for?

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 7th 2010, 10:37 pm

I hear ProComp makes some bad ass pumps.................. cheers
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 7th 2010, 10:47 pm

richter69 wrote:I hear ProComp makes some bad ass pumps.................. cheers

Now that made me laugh, thanks Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 7th 2010, 11:02 pm

Your UGLY ass turd in your avatar make me laugh.. THANKS! affraid
No need to fuck up every thread! people like you two really mess this site up!

P.S No need to hate on someone faster... Rolling Eyes affraid

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 7th 2010, 11:07 pm

Which Turd was that statement meant for Question lol!

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 7th 2010, 11:13 pm

Jeremiah wrote:your UGLY ass car in your avatar make me laugh.. THANKS! affraid

P.S No need to hate on someone faster... Rolling Eyes affraid

I think all you have is a set of procomps and a dream. Atleast I worked 2 jobs for 3 years to earn my car and parts. You don't even have a car to display

Where do you race at, I'll come take you for pinks punk:twisted:

And if you would pull your head out of your ass and look around a bit you would find the answer to your question. Also while your applying vasoline to get it out of there don't forget your procomp plyers. Until we see actual time slips and et increments you are going to keep getting Beat down at every turn. I'm on a hair fuse cause one of my close friends is on what could be his death bed.

As for alky, you need to convert your carb and fuel system to an alcohol rated system. It will burn cooler and allow more compression. Major problem would be moisture and the fact that warmup takes a bit longer. Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 7th 2010, 11:16 pm

I know all that already... What size carb, fuel line, Pump size? Sorry to hear about your buddy man..

OH and this is MY car I built. Cage, Paint, Motor ETC....
thinking about changing to alky .... RACECAR7
thinking about changing to alky .... Bigblockmotorinstang

Last edited by Jeremiah on August 7th 2010, 11:23 pm; edited 3 times in total

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 7th 2010, 11:17 pm

When we ran alky about 10 years ago or so we had to run an oil heater just to keep temp and had to install the ole ball valve just to get temp in the motor. We used a little craftsman vacuum to help dry the crankcase and help save the oil. I didn't run a radiator at all on the car and we still had a hard time keeping temp in the motor. We were running a, at the time, large cubic inch BBC in a tube chassis slowmaro.

GOOD
More torque
cooler running
consistent
cheaper (when your setup)

BAD
corrosive
change oil more
burns clear in day light (We always ran a sticker on the window indicating we ran alky so the safety crew knew)

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 7th 2010, 11:28 pm

Now we have proof it exists. Please accept my appologies. Why not post in the proven builds section?
Just a thought.

I forgot about the clear burning part.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 7th 2010, 11:30 pm

Thanks man.. Ill do some digging to figure out what size carb etc I need to run..

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 7th 2010, 11:36 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Thanks man.. Ill do some digging to figure out what size carb etc I need to run..

Forgive me for not knowing this info but.......
size motor
rpm
estimated hp
trans
gear
tire

I see you already have a Dominator carb. Just convert it to alky.

Or you can leave the entire setup gas and come race with us.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 7th 2010, 11:39 pm

sorry about that........
466 dome pistons
no more then 7k
around 550 or so
3.73 gear
29.5/ 10.5 tire
And Ill be spraying the car but I know that ill have to run that off of race gas.

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 7th 2010, 11:43 pm

a 1050 dominator would be fine.

what fuel pump/lines do you have now?

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 7th 2010, 11:54 pm

Its 3/8 or 1/2 inch aluminum fuel line. with an areomotive ss series pump and a big holly 12-704 fuel pressure reg.

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 8th 2010, 12:01 am

Do you have any ambitions of building more NA horsepower later?

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 8th 2010, 12:15 am

Not real sure.. But prob not.. If I do anything I wanted to build a turbo motor but not really anytime soon..

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 8th 2010, 12:40 am

If there is a possibility of going turbo I would go ahead and buy a pump like the Weldon 2035 which will work with a carb or efi. I would upgrade to a -10 or so line and you could use your current line as a return.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 8th 2010, 12:42 am

ok. So I have to run a return setup? Whats it going to take to change my carb form gas to alky?

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 8th 2010, 12:45 am

If you are going to a larger pump you probably want a return type setup. You can buy kits to do it or send it to any reputable carb shop and they can do the conversion. It is not that hard. Just basically bigger fuel passages and some other small tuning changes. It's cheaper than going to a new carb.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremiah August 8th 2010, 12:49 am

Cool.. Thanks for all your help so far man... will my reg work? what kind of fuel pressure etc.? also will there be any timing difference?

Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs August 8th 2010, 12:49 am

Man that bugs killing me! I love it.. Got my dog to attack it a moment ago now that I'm home Laughing
IIRC isn't there off the shelf conversion kits out there?
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 8th 2010, 11:05 am

You need to send the carb to APD, Rupert, or the like........the metering blocks and boosters are different.....along with a bunch of other stuff...........1050 deal seems to work the best.......you'll spend around 600 bucks to get a dommy made over.

Lose all the alum line, any bare alum celll etc needs to be anodized. Deadhead will work, but you need a big regualtor, that and the pump will not last long....been there done that.guy I sold the pump to still having issues.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 8th 2010, 12:06 pm

Jon,When you say the pumps don't last long,do you mean because of the alky being so corrosive or because you need a pump that is setup for alky Question

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next