BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carb tech and testing info ?

2 posters

Go down

carb tech and testing info ? Empty carb tech and testing info ?

Post  johndickjr August 18th 2010, 10:40 pm

any one ever tested carbs back to back on the same motor..like a 550 hp BBF, say use a 850 Holley regular..then swap it for a 850 HP, then to a 850 demon, then a 850 ???? etc...keep the crm the same but a different type of carb and different brands

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

carb tech and testing info ? Empty Re: carb tech and testing info ?

Post  DaveMcLain August 19th 2010, 10:17 am

No exactly in that same configuration but I've done a lot of that sort of testing on my dyno. What I think you'll find is that jetting, fuel curve and emulsion characteristics are WAY more important than small changes in airflow when it comes to making torque and horsepower. For instance; for the past several weeks I've been flogging on a circle track 2 barrel engine combo that's built for running at a track and under rules that I've not built for in the past. I've been testing several 4412 carburetor packages, two from Competition Carburetion one absolutely tech legal and the other an "open" piece. All said and done the open is worth almost 20 horsepower but a LOT of that comes from having a better booster package and atomization, I'd say 50% of the gain. The rest is probably from airflow because we are running 1/2 of a 750 four barrel to 7200rpm.

With that said I also tested another 4412 that was tech legal. When I ran that carburetor I could make it either equal my 4412 for torque or horsepower but never both and the difference between one or the other was about 3 jet sizes. If I could have rejetted in the middle of the pull it would have been as good as my carburetor so the results of tests like this certainly require interpretation.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down