BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil psi drop???

2 posters

Go down

oil psi drop??? Empty oil psi drop???

Post  Tennessee Bullitt August 25th 2010, 8:01 pm

What would cause the oil pressure to drop about 15 psi? I was tunning on my carbs an looked down and saw about 45 or a little less. I shut the car off and then started it up then the pressure went back to 60 psi. I reved it a few and it starded to drop again. I don't think the oil would thin out that much. It's always keep 60 psi when it was hot. Any ideas? If it was the pump how would it still work if it was broken?
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

oil psi drop??? Empty Re: oil psi drop???

Post  jonboyusmc August 25th 2010, 8:57 pm

If you got a crack in your pick-up tube or the mounting gasket got weak and allowed it to suck air. That could be one culprit. Another could be bearings starting to go bad. Thats how I found I had bad bearings. Start it up and it had 60 psi. As she warmed up, it would just keep dropping, all the way down to 7-10 psi. Pulled the motor and had 4 trashed rod bearings, and everything else wasn't much better.

jonboyusmc

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt August 25th 2010, 9:23 pm

I think I might have found my problem. I let it sit and cool off a while and went back to start it. 60 psi all the way. Reved it and it never droped. I think when I was screwing with the carbs I flooded it bad and loaded bad with gas. The gas could have separated since it cooled. Don't know. I will drain it, flush it and check tomorrow after work. I guess I will start there.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  jonboyusmc August 25th 2010, 10:07 pm

I got my fingers crossed for ya

jonboyusmc

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt August 25th 2010, 10:58 pm

Thanks, me to. It's to close to NMRA for this.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down