BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Machine Shop Questions

5 posters

Go down

Machine Shop Questions Empty Machine Shop Questions

Post  away September 15th 2010, 1:12 pm

Is this a good business to get in to? I am an automotive Engineering Manager
with a lot of experience on the industrial side of machine tolerences and equipment.

It seems that anytime I call the shop and I use several..... they are always overloaded with work. Even with the down-turn of the economy.

Almost all engineers in the automotive world (at least the ones that I know) are always looking into some kind of business to start or to get into so that they can get out of the automotive day to day "working for the man".

I have been thinking lately about my passion which is "Engines" and "Engine Building". I have even looked into pricing new and used equipment to get started on the side.

I guess I am looking for suggestions on how to start and any info on purchasing equipment etc......what I should start with etc..

I would assume advertising web-sites etc would be use-ful.

I would start by buying the equipment needed to freshen engines and then move into purchasing more equipment as the business grows so that nothing has to go outside.

Looking to start in a year or so. I appreciate all helpful comments

Adrian Way 606-260-0103
away
away

Back to top Go down

Machine Shop Questions Empty Re: Machine Shop Questions

Post  dfree383 September 15th 2010, 1:44 pm

Look into purchasing a complete shop or business first.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 15th 2010, 6:15 pm

A friend of mine has his own Machine shop and he is always telling me that he gets emails daily about shop auctions from all over the country that are goin out of business.He lurks on here quite a bit and will probably post you the website.Good Luck Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 15th 2010, 7:41 pm

So what am I supposed to do then? I wanted to have a high performance engine building AND machine shop and maybe sell some crate engines.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 15th 2010, 9:44 pm

bb429power wrote:So what am I supposed to do then? I wanted to have a high performance engine building AND machine shop and maybe sell some crate engines.

Justin if I was you I would try to find a job at a whale known speedshop and make a name for youself then try to start you own business.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 15th 2010, 11:36 pm

69F100 wrote:
bb429power wrote:So what am I supposed to do then? I wanted to have a high performance engine building AND machine shop and maybe sell some crate engines.

Justin if I was you I would try to find a job at a whale known speedshop and make a name for youself then try to start you own business.

Jim

That would be a great idea. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 16th 2010, 6:48 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:
69F100 wrote:

Jim

That would be a great idea. Very Happy
That WAS the game plan, that way I get a feel for how to run a shop before I jump into more than I can handle. Very Happy
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  away September 17th 2010, 7:43 am

I do not have any of the above issues. As stated above in my current job I manage 20 plus maintenance technitions, an engineering staff, and manage about a 160K a month budget for the plant. I am very business smart and well known in my area for working on race cars in my area now. (Roll cages, moly, mild steel, fuel cells, and of course my engine combinations.

Any further help or assistance would be appreciated.
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 17th 2010, 8:56 am

away wrote: I do not have any of the above issues. As stated above in my current job I manage 20 plus maintenance technitions, an engineering staff, and manage about a 160K a month budget for the plant. I am very business smart and well known in my area for working on race cars in my area now. (Roll cages, moly, mild steel, fuel cells, and of course my engine combinations.

Any further help or assistance would be appreciated.

Is London KY. over close to Maysville?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  away September 17th 2010, 9:57 am

According to mapquest I am about 2.5 hrs south of Maysville.

I see you are from Jackson OH, which if I put in the correct one you are about 3.5 hrs away. Needing something done?

away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum