BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valve tip wear

+3
richter69
chuck stevens
ford385
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Valve tip wear - Page 2 Empty Re: Valve tip wear

Post  cool40 October 5th 2010, 11:53 pm

ford385 wrote:crap! do you have excessive valve train noise as well, or just the miss alignment? Should I jsut leave it as is then and not worry about gutting the guide plates to get things closer?
i run open headers Very Happy and solid roller so it's a given,i just dont hear it.i'd try the longer studs but not worry too much about it.mine did it when it was all new and has'nt got any worse,or worser,whatever. :lol i've never ran anything but crane,crower,and h/s rockers so i'm no help on the other brands.keep an eye on this thread,someone may have an answer for both of us later.good luck. Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ford385 October 6th 2010, 12:07 am

cool40 - thank you very much sir.

ford385

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens October 6th 2010, 12:15 pm

IMHO, whoever machined the heads (Roush). missed the setup. The valve and stud angles do not match. This is not an unknown problem with that shop....it happened on 2 pallet loads of heads for IDT and it cost them the contract. That said, the only other possibility I can see is the axis of the roller tip and trunnion are not parallel. You could try a known good rocker to check or, have a machinist check to see if the guides and studs are parallel. IF they are not....it may cost more to fix the heads than to replace them. Shocked

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 14th 2010, 8:13 pm

chuck stevens wrote:IMHO, whoever machined the heads (Roush). missed the setup. The valve and stud angles do not match. This is not an unknown problem with that shop....it happened on 2 pallet loads of heads for IDT and it cost them the contract. That said, the only other possibility I can see is the axis of the roller tip and trunnion are not parallel. You could try a known good rocker to check or, have a machinist check to see if the guides and studs are parallel. IF they are not....it may cost more to fix the heads than to replace them. Shocked

^^This^^

Either the rocker bosses are off or the rockers themselves are off...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 14th 2010, 8:16 pm

could the roller tips be tapered due to faulty machining? Or the roller itself is at an angle because the holes its pressed between are at differen heights?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 14th 2010, 10:14 pm

That could be the case as well.

Easiest thing would be to try some other rockers, color the valve tips with a marker and see what sort of pattern they make.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2