BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got some free heads today!

+3
bbf-falcon
res0rli9
torkair
7 posters

Go down

I got some free heads today! Empty I got some free heads today!

Post  torkair October 13th 2010, 7:47 pm

I got a free pair of d2ve-a2a heads and would like to get as much info on them as possible.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

I got some free heads today! Empty Re: I got some free heads today!

Post  res0rli9 October 13th 2010, 7:51 pm

are you sure you what to know Rolling Eyes

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 13th 2010, 7:53 pm

torkair wrote:I got a free pair of d2ve-a2a heads and would like to get as much info on them as possible.

You did someone a favor Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair October 13th 2010, 8:28 pm

Weeellll.... They WERE free and I DO have a set of d0ve heads for a more serious build later down the road so any info I can get on the d2's will be well used.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 13th 2010, 8:41 pm

The short story is the open chambers suck, use them for weights on your shop crane and to hold doors open...... They are not worth putting any money into.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav October 13th 2010, 8:45 pm

Just relax and take a breath... FYI, that head CAN be made to work also. I Have the Famous Blake traveling D2Ve head here.
It ran 6.10 at the first bash in a 3,200lb Fox mustang. All iron heads are still good IMO. There isnt much difference except compression. Get with Scotty's site and see. Install the 2.25/1.76 valves and mill them to 70cc. Match to the victor gasket, plus machine for dual springs and seals.
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav October 13th 2010, 8:48 pm

YES, those open chambers DID suck the D2's. This was Fords first Smogger- head and Ford was still learning when they designed it. If your doing a budget build, use em. Just mill them and run a flat-top.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair October 13th 2010, 8:51 pm

I was already thinking of cutting the snot out of them as a practice piece for port work before I start in on the d0ve heads, then do a "cheap skate" rebuild on one of the blocks I've got using the d2 heads and sell it in order to fund the continuation of the motor that will be getting the d0ve heads.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav October 13th 2010, 8:57 pm

Alot of work you mentioned there. Got me tired just reading it Laughing
Just dont sell any of the iron heads short. Alot of people think you need aluminum for every build. But you DONT. They of course have their limits like everything does.
FYI, the flow specs on this head I have on loan was 330I-204E, If I remember correctly.
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 October 13th 2010, 10:06 pm

Al.. just how much did that head have to be cut to get 70cc's.

Keith

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 October 13th 2010, 11:24 pm

to get them done correctly you WILL have around $1000 in them unless you can do them yourself. Thats parts and labor. But since you got them free...$750
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 14th 2010, 4:58 am

if your doing a street / strip pump gass deal find some later D3s to play with or Spend the time and money on the DOVE heads you will be further ahead and you will get some of your money back.

Using the D2 stuff as pratice heads to learn how to Port is not a bad idea, but like I've said don't pour money into the as they are the least disirable BBF head their is

Talk with Blake to, he will fill you in, he spent alot of time on those D2 heads and has said it to me before he
did it only to prove the heads will work and its only made economical sence because he can spray weld and do most of the work himself.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 14th 2010, 5:04 am

72mav wrote:Just relax and take a breath... FYI, that head CAN be made to work also. I Have the Famous Blake traveling D2Ve head here.
It ran 6.10 at the first bash in a 3,200lb Fox mustang. All iron heads are still good IMO. There isnt much difference except compression. Get with Scotty's site and see. Install the 2.25/1.76 valves and mill them to 70cc. Match to the victor gasket, plus machine for dual springs and seals.
Regards.
Al
Al, the problem is no quench and the welding and milling is much more expensive the just getting a closed chamber casting to start with, ala a Cheap and sometimes free D3........ Definetly not economical work to perform for a newbie.

And don't forget the cost of milling the intake and having a piece that will only fit those milled heads.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav October 14th 2010, 8:35 am

I know that on the quench Dave, Thats why he milled them.
Also you mention spray welding. I dont recall Blake mentioning that. Yeah a D3 with a dome piston would probably be cheaper and better,IMO.

Maybe Blake will chime in here.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 14th 2010, 6:06 pm

The head Al has of mine is one I did for a customer, he had already put big valves and cut for screw in studs and guide plates spent a ton of money and was waist deep in them. I ported them after I traded him out of the engine some years later. I milled them about .100 to get them down to 72 cc . they drop cc's fairly quick because of the round chamber, kind of like decking a block.

But even at that they only had a quench pad about 2 inches in diameter, and I never ran anything but 100 LL AV gas in it . It was 13+:1 compression , ran it for years and looked perfect when I tore it down. I still have the engine.

With all that being said, you can pick up D3 's for free around here, and I wouldn't even fool with the D2ve's. Even for a stock build.

Probably not what you wanted to hear , but that's the skinny................... Wink

IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair October 14th 2010, 8:32 pm

Hey, free is free, and I'd rather practice porting on free junk instead of good heads, it'l be fun to see what kind of flow I can get out of these things with my limited skill.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum