BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil PSI problems during 1/4 mile run...

+9
cool40
Curt
Lem Evans
dfree383
rmcomprandy
BOSS 429
bbf-falcon
342g
jbozzelle
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oil PSI problems during 1/4 mile run... - Page 2 Empty Re: Oil PSI problems during 1/4 mile run...

Post  bb429power October 21st 2010, 10:07 pm

Lem Evans wrote:The pan in question is an odd duck...so to speak. it's lowest point is not a real rear position.........kind of 3/4ish i.m.o. It's odd floor shape and lack of a windage tray/screen are both negatives i.m.o.
I never liked the idea of how it is set up. Its like there are two sumps, therefore a bunch of oil is in the front section when nothing is being sucked up and you can't really get it out of there. I could be wrong though, I just never liked them either.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Oil PSI problems during 1/4 mile run... - Page 2 Empty Re: Oil PSI problems during 1/4 mile run...

Post  cool40 October 21st 2010, 10:22 pm

that pan is not the best idea but i dont think his problem is all in the pan.not sayen it's a slow car or maken fun or bs like that but i dont see it sticken the oil in the back of the block.the way its made i'd figure it would have more trouble at shut down than goen down the track.if you go back with this pan on the car try a pass without doen a burnout,that'll tell you a lot about where your oil is.i could see the psi move on a long,hard promod burnout with my 400 with that truck pan.i'd stage slow and give it all the recovery time i could but found it easier to just do a little smoke and roll on in.is the cam a solid?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 21st 2010, 11:18 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:

Second pass I launched it and made a full pass. On top end right before I crossed the stripe I noticed the oil PSI was down to about 30 PSI. As soon as I crossed the line and lifted the gauge shot up to 60 PSI.

What about shimming a stock volume pump?
Guys let's read what jbozzelle has wrote.

If the oil pressure is good (assumed) until the quarter mile stripe, would this be a pan problem or ...... the oil having a tough time finding it's way back to the pan?

Yes, most will say the pressure went back to normal under deceleration. And with that said, does the oil in the valley have a better exit from the valley during deceleration than acceleration? Again, assuming this is where the majority of the oil is trapped.

"Souping up" an oil pump that is near starvation, will surely starve it unless more food is available, ya think?

Just my two shits!
Dave.

Dave, I think you ought to find out what kind of steak samwhiches they have at the racetrack before "Souping up" . lol! Razz Carry on. Laughing

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 21st 2010, 11:24 pm

"I don't see it sticken the oil in the back of the block"
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
I see it wraped around the crank mostly.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 22nd 2010, 12:08 am

Lem Evans wrote:"I don't see it sticken the oil in the back of the block"
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
I see it wraped around the crank mostly.
Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 22nd 2010, 10:20 am

UPDATE!!!

The pump was cracked near the base as well. I was mocking up the new pickup and gave it a little tug to try and persuade some more depth out of it and the pump fell off the engine. Didn't see any cracks just by looking at it... It was cracked real bad and you can see where it was cracked for some time and possibly bleeding off oil as well....

So, now we have a new stock volume pump, Moroso pickup and Moroso Fox body swap pan. Just need to button up a few more things and it should be ready to fire.

This pan has more capacity so that should help as well.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 22nd 2010, 10:21 am

Cool

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave October 22nd 2010, 10:16 pm

Damn Travis, I guess I'm gonna have to wear that "Steak sandwich" story for a while, deservingly so I suppose! Relating that steak to soup, a can of Ken-L-Ration would have made better soup! Talking about sandwiches, as I was buzzing down West Parish in Owensboro this morning, I passed a van that belonged to a distributor of LANDSHIRE! Holy shit Batman, I almost spit my coffee all over my dash! If only Lem could have been there.

My question of the oil pan's design was because I thought most Fox platforms required a rear sump pan. I also thought it would contain enough oil at the sump for all but the hottest of hot rods! Lem may be onto something, although we now know the oil pump damage may be the culprit. The crankshaft may be "sucking " the oil up and out of the pan, but would this phenomena occur at the same engine speed or does engine speed plus duration of the engine's speed play a part? I would think if the oil is climbing up the back of the pan and upward in the block the two rear cylinders may show some sign of oil (spark plug).

However we dice it, hopefully another oil pump will take care of the problem. I do think a well designed oil pan is a must!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 October 23rd 2010, 12:55 am

i weld baffels in these truck pans because of this, front and rear, my guys have been using these to go 9.40s 950s 144mph or so, with out problems, i would rather use a pan that moroso makes for this for most of my guys, yellow horse has 1 of these on the bb i did for him .not only does it controll the oil better it also has a screen,and a windage
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 23rd 2010, 1:27 am

i'm so glad i run 1/8 mile! Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 25th 2010, 10:21 am

Problem seems to be fixed. It did drop to 40 for about a half second. Other than that it has 80 psi cold, 40 psi hot and climbs to 65-70 through the rpm range.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2