BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streetability and other definitions

+6
mustang68mustangs1
Maddmattmustangs
96Mustang460cid
Greg_P
richter69
Bernie
10 posters

Go down

Streetability and other definitions Empty Streetability and other definitions

Post  Bernie October 22nd 2010, 4:32 pm

I'm starting with the hardest one first.

Streetability; defn; The ability of a vehicle to be started by someone with a rudimentary knowledge of vehicles. A vehicle with a reasonable warm up time, < 2 minutes. Can be backed out of the garage using the brake only (automatic) or without feathering the clutch to prevent stalling. The ability to idle at an intersection without overheating. *placeholder* Edit: 100 mile cruise with allowance for fuel consumption.

Reliability; 1800 hours MTBF
Availability; >80%
Maintainability; One hour of maintanence for six hours of operational time <20% wait time due to maintanence
Durability; 360 hour MTBO

This is not meant to be a definitive definition, but a talking point to facilitate communication between users and providers.

*installs Nomex keyboard*

Last edited by Bernie on October 22nd 2010, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bernie

Back to top Go down

Streetability and other definitions Empty Re: Streetability and other definitions

Post  richter69 October 22nd 2010, 4:49 pm

The little 383 I did for the kid with the truck is 100% streetable, it has been driven over 30 miles to the track and raced........run high 12's on pump gas and driven back home..................he now has a bottle on it.......he does trailer it for the most part when going to the track, but can and does drive it on a daily basis.

I've driven my 81 and 69 both down the street, just because they did does not classify them as streetable................IMO
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Streetability and other definitions Empty Re: Streetability and other definitions

Post  Greg_P October 22nd 2010, 5:06 pm

1800 hrs MTBF?

Man that sounds like a lofty goal for any performance engine. Not impossible, but unrealistic IMHO.

Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Bernie October 22nd 2010, 5:13 pm

I see, but how would you define streetable?

Bernie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bernie October 22nd 2010, 5:13 pm

Greg_P wrote:1800 hrs MTBF?

Man that sounds like a lofty goal for any performance engine. Not impossible, but unrealistic IMHO.

Only 360 hours between overhauls though... Shocked What percentage of a max effort engine would qualify?

Yeah, I know, aluminum rods are da debil... Does a 4.5 crank meet the requirements? Will 50 miles to the track beat the babbit out of it?

Don't worry I won't come back on here and say "But you said..."

Bernie

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid October 22nd 2010, 7:00 pm

What does MTBF and MTBO stand for?

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs October 22nd 2010, 7:32 pm

My definition of streetable is simple, what ever you can control tolerate, and afford to fuel. Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang68mustangs1 October 22nd 2010, 8:03 pm

I have to agree with Madmatt. Streetability has a different meaning to everyone just because i think an 800 hp monster with a full spool and a Lenco is streetable doesnt mean the next guy will. this topic has been beaten to death a million times during The Fastest Street Car series from Hot Rod magazine and several others like Car Craft have gone down this road many times.I think it all boils down to what YOU want to put up with on the street and what you can get away with of course!
Bob Basketball Basketball

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs October 22nd 2010, 8:13 pm

They gave up busting straight pipes and nos in my town, everyone has them Shocked
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope October 22nd 2010, 9:20 pm

96Mustang460cid wrote:What does MTBF and MTBO stand for?

MTBF=average time between failure

MTBO= (not sure, but may be) average time between oil changes
Have a good day!
Michael
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  Bernie October 22nd 2010, 10:15 pm

The Pope wrote:

Have a good day!
Michael

Sorry guys. MTBF is mean time between failures and MTBO is mean time between overhauls. i.e.rings and bearings.

Bernie

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 October 23rd 2010, 8:47 am

This is so simple. It is the engine that everybody asks Carl for. And the one I want. :

Must run on 87 octane
Glass smooth idle and quiet exhaust so you can hear the tunes
Must not overheat in 110 degree weather with the AC on in traffic
750 RPM idle with 7500 RPM suggested redline
750 HP with about 7500 miles between oil changes
Fast enough to get me "kicked off the track for going too fast" Rolling Eyes
My grandmother should be able to drive it to bingo and still make a 9 second pass without changing anything
Minimum of 150,000 miles before checking valve springs or adjusting valves
New rings and bearings after 200,000 miles
Must get 35 mpg to comply with the CAFE standards for new cars
And can you keep it under 500 bucks?
Have I forgotten anything???

cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Bernie October 23rd 2010, 9:22 am

cletus66 wrote:This is so simple. It is the engine that everybody asks Carl for. And the one I want. :

Must run on 87 octane
Glass smooth idle and quiet exhaust so you can hear the tunes
Must not overheat in 110 degree weather with the AC on in traffic
750 RPM idle with 7500 RPM suggested redline
750 HP with about 7500 miles between oil changes
Fast enough to get me "kicked off the track for going too fast" Rolling Eyes
My grandmother should be able to drive it to bingo and still make a 9 second pass without changing anything
Minimum of 150,000 miles before checking valve springs or adjusting valves
New rings and bearings after 200,000 miles
Must get 35 mpg to comply with the CAFE standards for new cars
And can you keep it under 500 bucks?
Have I forgotten anything???

I'll take two bounce bounce

Bernie

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid October 24th 2010, 1:40 am

For big horsepower in a streetable package, I'm a very strong believer in boost.

Mild camshaft, low'er' compression ratio, low'er' RPM to make similar horsepower, boost controller to limit low RPM power for street driving/launch, ect, ect.

Downside is packaging and additional complexity.

Build a 400 hp (overbuilt bottom end, if you're smart) engine and add a turbo = 800+ hp. Add some race fuel to the tank and turn up the boost = 1,000+ hp. Big cid turbo engines aren't too common, but they are out there and performing very nicely.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 24th 2010, 9:10 am

Got to agree with its all in what you can tolerate. See >>>>>>> Hot Rod Drag Week>>>>>>>>>>>> 1000 + miles in 5 days, 5 race tracks in 5 days, no chase vehicles, carry your parts and tools with you, Several cars ran in the 7-teens on the trip, one sandbagged a little and on the 5Th day went 6.95 @200 .............. A boat load of everyday looking cars running in the mid 8's........ Two stick in my mind, a primer 55 Chevy, Blown BBC and a real grocery gettin looking 65 ChevyII wagon, Turbo car, maybe a 8" tire ............. badass.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 24th 2010, 11:46 am

Bernie wrote:
The Pope wrote:

Have a good day!
Michael

Sorry guys. MTBF is mean time between failures and MTBO is mean time between overhauls. i.e.rings and bearings.

so you looking at 80-90k miles between rebuilds and what kind of rpm/duty are you assuming? Sounds to me like you Trying to compair a 40-50 year old design race/performance engine to something like a modern marine / oem type performance engine?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down