BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Header Fabrication from BT to A-460 TFS

+4
DanH
jbozzelle
rmcomprandy
smackjack
8 posters

Go down

Header Fabrication from BT to A-460 TFS Empty Header Fabrication from BT to A-460 TFS

Post  smackjack October 31st 2010, 10:21 am

Guys,
I need to make some new headers for my BT with Chevy Ext. ports but later might change combo to a-460 tfs
heads...just wondering if head dimensions are close in size-width- height etc. for frame clearance...I've bee down this road before when I changed from Ford Iron CJ to BT...BIG Difference!!! in size of head and port location etc.
Has anyone done this Combo Change???
smackjack
smackjack

Back to top Go down

Header Fabrication from BT to A-460 TFS Empty Re: Header Fabrication from BT to A-460 TFS

Post  rmcomprandy October 31st 2010, 10:36 am

Only with a drag boat ... the headers fit the same but, there was not shock towers or a floor pan to worry about.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Header Fabrication from BT to A-460 TFS Empty Re: Header Fabrication from BT to A-460 TFS

Post  jbozzelle October 31st 2010, 2:58 pm

What's the front suspension of your truck consist of? What is in the way now that you have to work around?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH October 31st 2010, 4:25 pm

can't seeing them as a direct fit in a car .tube or with towers . BT's have extended port and angles down , A head set back along wih angle

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  smackjack October 31st 2010, 5:23 pm

jbozzelle wrote:What's the front suspension of your truck consist of? What is in the way now that you have to work around?
Alot of room between frame rails and motor, but I do have alot of motor set-back...like all Trucks and I'm running a Mustang II front end.
smackjack
smackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans October 31st 2010, 6:07 pm

Both the B.T. "B" heads with the Chevy bolt pattern and the new style TFS A-460 heads with the Chevy bolt pattern are on 4.840" Chevy bore centerline at the exhaust flange. In other words a one piece Chevy header gasket will work with both sets of heads! Therefore you will have no issues in regards to front to rear measurements of the primary pipes.

There is a difference in the angle of the exhaust flange surface between the two heads. Also a difference in the height above the deck surface of the exhaust ports between the two heads. The only issue I see is that by the time this all plays out at the collector,,,,,,one collector may be hitting the floorboard,,,,, whereas the other heads with the same headers, the collector may clear the floorboard just fine.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  smackjack November 1st 2010, 9:16 am

c.evans wrote:Both the B.T. "B" heads with the Chevy bolt pattern and the new style TFS A-460 heads with the Chevy bolt pattern are on 4.840" Chevy bore centerline at the exhaust flange. In other words a one piece Chevy header gasket will work with both sets of heads! Therefore you will have no issues in regards to front to rear measurements of the primary pipes.

There is a difference in the angle of the exhaust flange surface between the two heads. Also a difference in the height above the deck surface of the exhaust ports between the two heads. The only issue I see is that by the time this all plays out at the collector,,,,,,one collector may be hitting the floorboard,,,,, whereas the other heads with the same headers, the collector may clear the floorboard just fine.

Hope this helps,
Thanks Charlie...that's what I needed to know, any idea on how much higher port is raised on a TFS compared
to a BT so I can allow for clearance? I have alot space due to its a Truck

Charlie
smackjack
smackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller November 1st 2010, 10:47 pm

smackjack wrote:
c.evans wrote:Both the B.T. "B" heads with the Chevy bolt pattern and the new style TFS A-460 heads with the Chevy bolt pattern are on 4.840" Chevy bore centerline at the exhaust flange. In other words a one piece Chevy header gasket will work with both sets of heads! Therefore you will have no issues in regards to front to rear measurements of the primary pipes.

Hope this helps,
Thanks Charlie...that's what I needed to know, any idea on how much higher port is raised on a TFS compared
to a BT so I can allow for clearance? I have alot space due to its a Truck

Charlie

Hey Jack good to see you on here Chris modified Butch's Blue Thunder headers to work with his A-460 Heads.I would give him a call and ask him how much work was involved.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  smackjack November 2nd 2010, 8:58 pm

Yea Mark, I already talked to him...I'll need to make new Headers, mine are too beat up...and patched up.
smackjack
smackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  fastracecars November 2nd 2010, 9:28 pm

if you need any material or supplies please keep us in mind. Here is a link to our website : wwwfabshopheaders.com

Tim
fastracecars
fastracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 2nd 2010, 9:32 pm

I got the stuff to build my headers from Tim and the bends, flanges, and collectors were some real top notch stuff. He was real nice about giving me a bunch of advice on how to fab them up too. Very Happy
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller November 2nd 2010, 11:55 pm

smackjack wrote:Yea Mark, I already talked to him...I'll need to make new Headers, mine are too beat up...and patched up.

Gottcha that makes sense i thought you just wanted to modify what you have.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down