BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ford 9" rear advice wanted

2 posters

Go down

ford 9" rear advice wanted Empty ford 9" rear advice wanted

Post  cobra460jet October 31st 2010, 12:17 pm

I have a 9 inch rear with 28 spline axles, detroit locker, and 3.73 factory gears. Last time I checked it the axle splines were starting to twist. Friend has a 9 inch out of a early truck with the big bearings. Has moser 31 spline axles, 3.73 richmond gears, detroit locker, with factory 3rd member. It want fit in my car without cutting the housing and respling the axles. He wants $900 for it. Has less then 500 miles on rear end. What would it cost me to cut it down including axles or should I just redo whats in car? My car is a street/strip car. Advice and opinions appreciated...

cobra460jet

Back to top Go down

ford 9" rear advice wanted Empty Re: ford 9" rear advice wanted

Post  bosshoss October 31st 2010, 12:25 pm

900.00 sounds like a pretty good deal for that set up. You have a couple of options then. Moser does shorten those axles for a pretty reasonable price if you can get them shipped there and back for a decent price.

You could try to shorten the truck housing and get the spring perches changed etc or you might be able to just replace the bearing ends on your existing housing and reuse that with the new internals from the truck deal.

Either way you need someone with a jig to weld the housinig up for you. If you have someone local the bearing end swap shouldnt be to big a deal. The truck hsg conversion might take a bit more work.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down