BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

single turbo +carb+big cubes=??

+13
83-88T-Bird Guy
whatbumper
jason
2POWERADDERS
chappy89
peganit2
Barney
Northwest outlaw
WIKDLX
96Mustang460cid
badsnake306
jones
8liter
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

single turbo +carb+big cubes=?? - Page 2 Empty Re: single turbo +carb+big cubes=??

Post  jason March 28th 2011, 12:29 am

That would work Very Happy
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

single turbo +carb+big cubes=?? - Page 2 Empty Re: single turbo +carb+big cubes=??

Post  Barney June 18th 2011, 9:27 pm

jones wrote:I'm still trying to find a efi setup as cheap as a blow thru carb. $1,300 carb $300 bonnet?
Megasquirt III $699,
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney June 18th 2011, 9:28 pm

jones wrote:I'm still trying to find a efi setup as cheap as a blow thru carb. $1,300 carb $300 bonnet?
Megasquirt III $699,
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  peganit2 June 19th 2011, 10:50 am

Boost and fuel injection just go together. If you can afford an 8 second car you can afford fuel injection.

Be done with it and get yourself a fuel injection setup.

peganit2

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 June 24th 2011, 12:44 pm

You could run a big single with this setup. Like someone said, a 106, 114, 118, 122 can all do the job. It won't take much boost to make the HP you are looking for. And it could be tuned to run on pump gas. Just keep the boost low. Thing is, that motor will make boost very easy. Twins are always better because they can handle more flow, but a single will work.

Don't know much about carbs. Can't help you there.

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  2POWERADDERS January 20th 2013, 11:30 am

big stuff 3 all the way
2POWERADDERS
2POWERADDERS

Back to top Go down

Post  2POWERADDERS January 20th 2013, 11:30 am

big stuff 3 all the way
2POWERADDERS
2POWERADDERS

Back to top Go down

Post  jason January 26th 2013, 1:02 am

Wow! It's been awhile since I've been on here. Thanks for the advise guys! I'm looking at switching heads to.
For awhile I dropped the turbo idea and I was gonna look into a 12/71 or 14/71 on alky. But now I'm back to thinking about turbos again. I have to stop changing my mind!
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 26th 2013, 10:39 am

I like turbos for a couple of reasons. They are quite compared to a blower, and you don't have to have a huge chunk sticking out of the hood.

And of course, make huge power, but the blowers can too.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jason January 27th 2013, 2:36 am

whatbumper wrote:I like turbos for a couple of reasons. They are quite compared to a blower, and you don't have to have a huge chunk sticking out of the hood.

And of course, make huge power, but the blowers can too.
the huge chunk looks badass, but I agree turbos are more efficient.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  jason July 14th 2013, 11:54 am

Ok how bout this. What cubic inch big block with fuel injection would be optimum with a single turbo and what size turbo to get a 3500# car in the mid to high 7's if at all possible?
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 14th 2013, 8:11 pm

Anything smaller than about a 540 and a 101 to 106 turbo would be fine.

I would do something in the 500 range with a 106 if I was building it for a customer and that was their initial goal with either a FAST XFI or Holley dominator efi system.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy July 30th 2013, 3:10 pm

I have been playing with the SDS efi (Simple Digital Systems) on my '86 Turbo 2.3.
Seems to work fine.

So I bought another 2.3 system for $ 400 delivered and another $ 135.00 for a "V-8 chip"
I am going to try to efi my 460 for less than $ 700 with some used "big" injectors. (and a huge throttle body)
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  gordyd4 January 15th 2014, 11:28 pm

You can run a blow through carb--The carb technology for blow through has advanced a lot the last 10 years and the last 5 years even more; Blow through is finally catching on. Yah, it's not EFI, but it works just fine. Just look at the engines Steve Morris is doing with blow through carb stuff.

I had a blow through setup on a pro charger in a boat and it was flawless, made 850 on pump gas.

gordyd4

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 15th 2014, 11:51 pm

gordyd4 wrote:You can run a blow through carb--The carb technology for blow through has advanced a lot the last 10 years and the last 5 years even more; Blow through is finally catching on. Yah, it's not EFI, but it works just fine. Just look at the engines Steve Morris is doing with blow through carb stuff.

I had a blow through setup on a pro charger in a boat and it was flawless, made 850 on pump gas.

I agree that carbs can make the power, been making over 2000hp with a blowthru procharger setup on a customers car. the question was something really user friendly and easy to tune, efi all the way. the efi is just easier to tune and the window is bigger than the carb. if you are really good with a carb then it is the way to go. all I know was the carb setup with hat that we ran was over $2800. is that cheaper yes initially, yes. I have no problem running carbs but for most not being able to let the computer adjust things for you is a big turn off.

btw, we sold the carb stuff off the above combinations to purchase most of the efi system that is going back on it.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jason March 2nd 2015, 3:00 pm

what heads are you guys using that will easily support 2000hp with a turbo/s?
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid March 2nd 2015, 4:37 pm

jason wrote:what heads are you guys using that will easily support 2000hp with a turbo/s?

I believe you'll most commonly see A and C heads with 18 head bolts for this type of setup. I'm sure people have done it with 10 head bolts, though.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  jason March 2nd 2015, 9:02 pm

So a Thor gen2 isn't needed?? What if I wanted to try and make more than 2000?
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 3rd 2015, 11:59 pm

jason wrote:So a Thor gen2 isn't needed?? What if I wanted to try and make more than 2000?

A solid A headed engine could make as much power as you want with boost.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 4th 2015, 11:42 am

I have a friend that has a blow thru deal on his sbf. He has gone through several short blocks before he finally got it dialed in which people don't seem to think will happen. He put it on a dyno last month and picked up 70 hspr in jetting  but with a carb that is only good till the weather changes. I agree with one of the other posts... if you are building a 7 second 2000 hspr car then efi is not expensive. If you can't even afford that then you are living a pipe dream any ways.

As far as efi it is more expensive than it looks as well. Manifold conversion, fuel rails, injectors, with Holley it seems like you keep having to buy something else. Of course in the end you will have a very universal system that you can use with any blower, turbo street car, whatever. To me it is an investment that I hope will pay off in the long run. Btw, I am currently converting my 460 to efi with the Holley HP unit.

BTW, below is a link to Earl Schexmayders car. He was on Street Outlaws when they were in New Orleans. This is a bad ass twin turbo 600 inch Kaase headed car. He is running a BS 3 but I do not know any other specs. Traction seems to be the biggest problem now. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO_zvv5vjAY
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 4th 2015, 3:00 pm

jasonf wrote:I have a friend that has a blow thru deal on his sbf. He has gone through several short blocks before he finally got it dialed in which people don't seem to think will happen. He put it on a dyno last month and picked up 70 hspr in jetting  but with a carb that is only good till the weather changes. I agree with one of the other posts... if you are building a 7 second 2000 hspr car then efi is not expensive. If you can't even afford that then you are living a pipe dream any ways.

As far as efi it is more expensive than it looks as well. Manifold conversion, fuel rails, injectors, with Holley it seems like you keep having to buy something else. Of course in the end you will have a very universal system that you can use with any blower, turbo street car, whatever. To me it is an investment that I hope will pay off in the long run. Btw, I am currently converting my 460 to efi with the Holley HP unit.

BTW, below is a link to Earl Schexmayders car. He was on Street Outlaws when they were in New Orleans. This is a bad ass twin turbo 600 inch Kaase headed car. He is running a BS 3 but I do not know any other specs. Traction seems to be the biggest problem now. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO_zvv5vjAY

Holley is one of the cheaper systems to use. We love them. We use the holley dominator box and do away with the MSD stuff and use coil packs. We do conversions often and for most people it is easier and better for the most part to go EFI over carb just for tune ability.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jason July 30th 2015, 8:16 pm

So the Holley dominator will control fuel and timing?
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 31st 2015, 11:24 pm

jason wrote:So the Holley dominator will control fuel and timing?

Yep, and boost control and shifter and a bunch of timers and data logging

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 January 13th 2016, 12:46 am

Consider a Procharger. They have some full race models that make insane amounts of boost. Then you don't have to do all the fab work on the exhaust. Never ran one personally, but I wish I could.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy January 13th 2016, 10:08 am

whatbumper wrote:
jason wrote:So what would be a good set up with twins to get what I'm looking for and not have a ton of gremlins ?

what is your car certified to?
How fast do you want to go?

Big horsepower is possible with turbos.  Why stick with blow through? Everyone thinks blow through is cheaper.  By the time you set up your fuel system and carb and everything else it is about the same and the tuning ability is much greater with efi allowing you multiple tunes for differing tracks and conditions.

Yeah, I agree, some of the big carbs setup for blow thru are not cheap.

I am designing  a blow thru for my 513 BBF T-Bird using a unmodified Torker II intake ( for hood clearance reasons) and a 90 deg. elbow to bolt to that 4150 flange intake and the elbow will house all 8 injectors.
I bought a complete efi system for 400
The elbow is 500
Then I need 8 of the 90 lb. injectors
And the last thing I need is the 90 mm throttle body

I can change the tune from inside the car without the use of a computer.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next