BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broke a piston ring HELP UPDATED!!

+4
maverick
72mav
bbf-falcon
powerstrokeace
8 posters

Go down

Broke a piston ring HELP UPDATED!!  Empty Broke a piston ring HELP UPDATED!!

Post  powerstrokeace November 6th 2010, 7:56 pm

Anybody have a sealed power/ speed pro catalog? I broke a ring today building a 347 for a buddy (ring compressor failed) and need to find the single 2nd ring part number from the set. The part number for the full set is R-9342-35. These are a file fit ring 4.035 and 1/16. any help would be great
Any help would be great.

Ace

Last edited by powerstrokeace on November 13th 2010, 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Broke a piston ring HELP UPDATED!!  Empty Re: Broke a piston ring HELP UPDATED!!

Post  bbf-falcon November 6th 2010, 9:16 pm

Greg,did you call jegs or Summit,they have a 24 hr help line?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Broke a piston ring HELP UPDATED!!  Empty Re: Broke a piston ring HELP UPDATED!!

Post  powerstrokeace November 6th 2010, 10:04 pm

I was not aware of that I'll see what they say and go from there. This time I'm spending the $30 and ordering the tapered solid compressor like what I have for the Big Block

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace November 6th 2010, 10:25 pm

Summit has some kind of email thing and no after hours service. Called Jegs and gave them the part number for set and there was no listing for the individual rings and said to call back Monday

Crying or Very sad

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav November 6th 2010, 11:00 pm

X2 on the tapered ring compressors. Wouldnt use nuthin else. Sorry to hear about you trouble. Looks like a Monday morning deal for sure.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 7th 2010, 9:08 am

I love the tapered ones,I threw my other ones in the junk pile.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 7th 2010, 9:49 am

When I need 1 ring, I go to my machinist. He's got odd rings of every size and configuration that he's kept over a lot of years. It takes a bit of searching but he's gotten a lot of guys out of a jam with that collection of rings. Wink
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav November 7th 2010, 9:55 am

Is that your buddie in Florida Kim?
Id love to see his collection some time. This guy has a collection of stuff you wouldnt beleive.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 7th 2010, 10:01 am

That's the guy. An old Ford lover at heart....races SBC dirt late models. Nice guy.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav November 7th 2010, 11:58 am

[quote=.races SBC dirt late models. Nice guy.[/quote]

WTF?? go figure...
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace November 13th 2010, 2:16 am

OK I'm going to up date this. I'm building this motor for a friend. 347 ford stroker. The ring set is a Sealed Power R9342-35 file fit. No problem been doing this for years. So I go to put the first piston in (of course after file fitting all the rings) and the ring compressor breaks and I brake the 2nd ring. OK now I go to the machine shop that got me the ring in the first place and have them get me a set for one piston WR9342-35. So this is where things really get good. When I get home tonight I pull the rings out of the box and find the 2nd ring which has a bevel to it on the inside and noticed its backwards from the original set. The full set has the Identification mark on top and the bevel on the bottom. And the single set ( i got today) has the Identification mark on top and the Bevel on top as well. WFT????

So what should I do??

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans November 13th 2010, 2:25 am

Ace,

I'd call the Sealed Power tech line.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl November 13th 2010, 2:37 am

Have a Beer!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 13th 2010, 8:00 am

Sealed power makes GOOD rings if you can get their Quality control off their Ass's to put the right rings in the right boxes. Don't ask Lem and me how we know this Evil or Very Mad I won't buy any of their products any more because of this. Akerly&Childs for me. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 November 14th 2010, 1:24 am

I have been using the Akerly & Childs as well. They seem to work really great. I broke a ring and they sent me a new one for no charge! Can't beat that for customer service.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 14th 2010, 9:31 am

bbf-falcon wrote:Sealed power makes GOOD rings if you can get their Quality control off their Ass's to put the right rings in the right boxes. Don't ask Lem and me how we know this Evil or Very Mad I won't buy any of their products any more because of this. Akerly&Childs for me. Smile
Rick, the mispackaged rings were not sealed power....they were total seal.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace November 14th 2010, 10:21 am

Lem Evans wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:Sealed power makes GOOD rings if you can get their Quality control off their Ass's to put the right rings in the right boxes. Don't ask Lem and me how we know this Evil or Very Mad I won't buy any of their products any more because of this. Akerly&Childs for me. Smile

We are talking about SEALED POWER. Please don't misunderstand. I started a thread about Gap Less rings for other information that has nothing to do with this subject.

Anybody have a direct number to Sealed Power/Fedral Mougal?

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 14th 2010, 1:13 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

You are correct Lem,sorry. For some reason I always get those two names mixed Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down