BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advise needed for my cheapskate 460

+5
Fatback
rmcomprandy
dfree383
ehummelman
John G
9 posters

Go down

Advise needed for my cheapskate 460 Empty Advise needed for my cheapskate 460

Post  John G November 24th 2010, 1:42 am

I am looking for some advice for my cheap skate motor I have to get the Torino project running while I save up for a hero motor.

The motor is a stock 1986 460 truck motor. The bottom end in real good shape, except for the lame dished pistons. The number on the smog type heads is E6TE-DA. Are these D3's?.. I shaved .030 off the heads trying to nudge up the compression, a fresh valve job. stock cam. Victor intake, 850 carb, straight up timing chain, headers, recurved dizzy. For now, I'll be using a stock C6 and converter. The Torino has a 3.25 gear and a 26" tall rear tire.

I know the compression is real low, and these heads kinda suck, and early model heads would help but I cant seem to scrape any up locally on the cheap.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to spend the extra money for a cam upgrade that will work with the stock valvetrain currently installed.

I saw a Paul Kane post from a while back suggesting a rv type cam Summit brand K3501 or K3500 if someone was not changing out to newer springs etc.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K3501/

Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Advertised Duration 276/286
Lift .503/.503

I know it's going to be a somewhat of a turd motor, any advise you may have on cheaply polishing the turd is greatly appreciated.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
JG

Last edited by John G on November 24th 2010, 10:20 am; edited 14 times in total (Reason for editing : spell checkin)
John G
John G

Back to top Go down

Advise needed for my cheapskate 460 Empty similar to mine

Post  ehummelman November 24th 2010, 10:52 am

Per this thread: http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145599 the E6 heads are basically the same as D3 heads. I think you would be better served taking off the Victor and 850 carb though. Too much for your engine.
I have basically the same rebuild now, except I did put in the Summit 3501 cam. Have yet to break it in so I can't say what it will do, but I think the main thing that will limit me is the compression and unported heads.

ehummelman

Back to top Go down

Advise needed for my cheapskate 460 Empty Re: Advise needed for my cheapskate 460

Post  dfree383 November 24th 2010, 11:37 am

Shop around for a set of small chamber heads, D0, C9 or C8, you should be able to find something used and useable for a fair price. it will get your compression to a reasonable level for a performance engine.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Advise needed for my cheapskate 460 Empty Re: Advise needed for my cheapskate 460

Post  rmcomprandy November 24th 2010, 12:54 pm

For this engine put the stock iron 4 barrel intake manifold back on it. Save the Victor and getting another cam for the later engine modifications.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fatback November 24th 2010, 3:56 pm

A set of .016" copper heads gaskets will help increase your compression ratio. Simple weekend bolt on project. Contact me if your interested. I have several sets in stock.

Fatback

Back to top Go down

Post  ribald1 November 24th 2010, 9:51 pm

A decent dual plane manifold and a Holly 750 would be the first thing.
030 on the heads makes little change. 300 would raise the compression, but would mess with your valve train geometry. Welding up the chambers is an option, but your best bet is to bite the bullet and drop on a set of SCJ or P51 heads with the dual plane and 750. Then when you can do the bottom end change the cam, you can use the victor if you change to fuel injection or make it a race car.

ribald1

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P November 27th 2010, 8:41 pm

Guys,

John is buying parts he knows might be a little much for his 460, but he has plans for a stroker in the near future.

So, he's stuck with the heads he has, and the intake and carb combo as well. I think the engine will run strong, and I disagree that the Victor is too much for the stockish 460. With the 9380 850 carb properly dialed in I think it'll run pretty darn good.

Greg

Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair November 28th 2010, 3:05 pm

A Weiand stealth intake is perhaps THE cheapest aftermarket intake you can get your hands on new, so shelve the victor and grab a stealth. A cam swap can wake up most slug motors, it won't be spectacular but it should be enough. A good ignition system is a MUST!!! Lastly, getting that carb dialed in should really make a world of difference.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 29th 2010, 12:12 am

torkair wrote:A Weiand stealth intake is perhaps THE cheapest aftermarket intake you can get your hands on new, so shelve the victor and grab a stealth. A cam swap can wake up most slug motors, it won't be spectacular but it should be enough. A good ignition system is a MUST!!! Lastly, getting that carb dialed in should really make a world of difference.

I'll bet I can buy at least THREE iron 4 barrel manifolds for the price of one Stealth. AND, make more torque on that combo.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andymarkv December 1st 2010, 4:28 pm

How long will it be in the car? How much money are you willing to spend?

I used the smaller summit cam SUM-K3500 after everyone explained to me that the bigger cams with 8:1 will be very doggy.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K3500/

We started with a bone stock '77 Lincoln 460, added the k3500 cam, cheap Edelbrock sure seat springs, performer intake (with exhaust crossover blocked), carter 625 carb and recurved the dist. It ran MUCH better than stock and got the same fuel mileage.
IMO if your going to use it for a while I would use a small cam. It ran very well for what little we did to it.

There are a ton of knowledgeable guys on here, they will steer you straight!

andymarkv

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down