BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem solved

5 posters

Go down

Problem solved Empty Problem solved

Post  David Cole December 28th 2010, 7:45 pm

Just wanted to thank Keith Fulp (Wheelie58) for helping me solve an issue with my ongoing build.

For my new 598 I ordered a Scat 4340 crank from Adney Brown. As an option I had him shorten the snout to Boss 429 length. For this setup I ordered an ATI damper than uses a sbf hub with a bbc front. This is the one that ATI says to use for this deal. I already had a nice billet aluminum bbc crank pulley to drive an alternator. I also already had an MSD crank trigger for a bbf. The pulley fit the damper perfectly, but the problem was with the trigger wheel. It was for a bbf and did not have a male register to center it in the damper. There was also no female register on the front to center the pulley.

Problem solved. A fellow Ford racer, Keith Fulp, (Wheelie58 on here and several other forums) made me a nice little adapter.

It's 6061 aluminum and locates the trigger wheel to the damper and the pulley to the trigger wheel. It also "snaps" down onto my Ron's mandrel and pushes even harder on the mandrel when the crank pulley is tightened down. Even though the mandrel is a through bolt design, it's not going anywhere now due to the additional 3 pulley bolts holding it on. I would liked to have bought a new Star or Peterson mandrel, but had to work with what I already had due to the budget on this build.

Problem solved Adapter-1

Problem solved Mandrel

Problem solved Mandrel2

Problem solved Assembly
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Problem solved Empty Re: Problem solved

Post  Curt December 28th 2010, 7:56 pm

Budget,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what the heck is that. Razz

Seams like every time I raise my ceiling, I hit my head Wink
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 December 28th 2010, 8:05 pm

if you ever need this again i sell a little tappered ring that solves this problem

-rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 28th 2010, 9:59 pm

That Keith Fulp,he's a good dude Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Problem solved Empty Thanks

Post  Wheelie58 December 28th 2010, 10:28 pm

David,
Thanks for the post.
With a chunk of 6061T6 and my trusty old lathe, just about any problem like this is easy to handle.
As you stated, there are many different combinations of balancer, trigger wheel mandrel and pulleys, but seldom will they all work together without a little help.
On My 605 using a modified BBC Peterson mandrel, (drilled out, pinned and knurled) I still had to make a centering "disk" to align the BBF trigger wheel on the mandrel. If MSD sold a custom crank trigger kit with a BBC trigger wheel and a BBF bracket, it would solve the issue. I know that some folks on this site have also used a BBC kit and bolted the Chevy bracket to the motor plate. I have personally not installed that setup.
This solution worked out well, to use available parts on hand.
Have fun!
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down