BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this a long or short water pump?

+3
kjett
72puller
7 posters

Go down

Is this a long or short water pump? Empty Is this a long or short water pump?

Post  7.5 January 25th 2011, 7:16 pm

Is the water pump in the pic a long or short pump?

If long, will a short bolt onto the same timing cover?

What vehicle application used a short pump so I can have the parts store look one up for me?

Is this a long or short water pump? 2011-01-25_11-13-39_514

Back to top Go down

Is this a long or short water pump? Empty Re: Is this a long or short water pump?

Post  72puller January 25th 2011, 7:30 pm

The short pumps were on 68 thunderbirds that had a balancer with pulley grooves made in it. The inlet is also in a different place than the long pumps. Can you post a pic of the other side so we can see the inlet. If you need a short pump I have a reman with very little run time on it that I would sell you.

Dennis
72puller
72puller

Back to top Go down

Is this a long or short water pump? Empty Re: Is this a long or short water pump?

Post  7.5 January 25th 2011, 7:40 pm

I don't know much about these engines, so I'm not sure what I need. I'm swapping this engine into my '93 Ranger, so I may need a shorter water pump to fit the radiator in. The engine came with some rigged up accessory brackets that I don't plan to use, so I'm starting from scratch on what I do.

Here is the best pic I can find that I have taken already, I can get a better one if needed.

Is this a long or short water pump? 2011-01-25_11-14-16_271

Back to top Go down

Post  72puller January 25th 2011, 9:30 pm

Thats a long pump. The inlet on a short one goes straight out the side. I just measured the difference in length and it is only a half inch. I think there are a couple guys on the forum that have put a big block in a ranger.

Dennis
72puller
72puller

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett January 25th 2011, 9:42 pm

What's the indended use for the truck? If it's going to be street driven, then you may want to look into an electric pump and them do some modding of the core support. You can cut quite a bit away to make an aluminum radiator fit. If it's for an offroad deal like mine, just put the radiator in the bed and call it good. Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  7.5 March 2nd 2011, 5:28 am

Thanks to every one for the info and measurements Very Happy I'll just keep the pump I have now before switching to the short style since it's so little of a difference. And yes, it will be street driven. I'm planning on this being my daily driver when it's done (about 22 miles round trip a day).

I checked the numbers on some of my parts and it appears that the water pump and crankshaft pulleys are for a 429/460. The alternator bracket is for a 351M/400, but seems to fit well. I didn't check the power steering bracket, but I'd like to find a different one. I need a new D0AR-B pulley for the power steering pump too since mine is bent.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce March 2nd 2011, 8:35 am

Why don't you check out Meziere, and CSR for their remote mount electric pumps? They can save you a lot of room!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 2nd 2011, 9:18 am

Wayne Pearce wrote:Why don't you check out Meziere, and CSR for their remote mount electric pumps? They can save you a lot of room!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

That'd be my choice. I did put a big block in a Ranger (although it was a 2 x 3 race deal) and even so, there's not much room for foof up front. I bought a remote pump for my new racecar....doubt I'll ever use the old front mounted stuff again. Check with BigBlockRanger (Jim). I'm sure he can tell you all about space constraints on your swap...that is, if his therapist wouldn't consider it a "setback" if he talks about it again. Laughing Laughing
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger March 2nd 2011, 9:33 am

^^ Haha ^^ I used the short pump, because every 1/2" counts! All of the electric pumps I got dimensions for were as long the long pump.

http://www.bigblockranger.com/Progress3.html
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  7.5 March 2nd 2011, 3:42 pm

Wayne Pearce wrote:Why don't you check out Meziere, and CSR for their remote mount electric pumps? They can save you a lot of room!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce
I've only seen electric pumps on race cars, so I figured that's where they belong. I don't know anything about them, are they dependable and long lasting that they can be used several years on a daily driven street motor?

BigBlockRanger wrote:^^ Haha ^^ I used the short pump, because every 1/2" counts! All of the electric pumps I got dimensions for were as long the long pump.

http://www.bigblockranger.com/Progress3.html
I've studied your site several times, and it's what has given me the confidence that I can do this swap. Mine won't be quite as nice as yours, but it will be enough to make me happy. Hopefully you won't mind me bothering you with some questions if I run into some problems?

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce March 2nd 2011, 4:03 pm

I've got a Meziere remote pump in my 460 powered 30 Model A coupe, It works every bit as well on the street as do the conventional mounted electric pumps. The whole reason for me using one was to be able to move my engine and transmission almost 4 1/2 inches further forward to regain some leg room in the car. I originally built the car with the engine set back into the cowl 12 inches, I was a young man then, and didn't mind it being a bit cramped inside - but I'm 67 years old now, and don't like using my knees as earmuffs anymore (LOL)

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger March 2nd 2011, 5:46 pm

7.5 wrote:Hopefully you won't mind me bothering you with some questions if I run into some problems?

No problem!
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 2nd 2011, 5:50 pm

we use rule bilge pumps for water pumps now.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down