BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting ready to fire it up!!!

+12
maverick
richter69
dfree383
342g
D. Sea
56Tbird
bigblockfox468
bbf-falcon
cool40
IDT-572
bruno
TheFrog
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Getting ready to fire it up!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting ready to fire it up!!!

Post  95lightiningguy February 21st 2011, 2:11 pm

Be sure to change the oil, and reprime the system, gas in oil= bad things.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to fire it up!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting ready to fire it up!!!

Post  TheFrog February 21st 2011, 2:32 pm

95lightiningguy wrote:Be sure to change the oil, and reprime the system, gas in oil= bad things.

Will do!
My buddy pulled the dipstick because he was worried about the samething. Found out that there was indeed fuel in the oil.
Thanks for the pointer! It's all these little things that can add up to equal big problems!

TheFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 21st 2011, 2:48 pm

Give'm hell Frog !!! Got to start somewhere....... Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 February 21st 2011, 7:54 pm

What's so wrong with the carb that you need a new one?
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFrog February 21st 2011, 7:58 pm

It's old and needs a complete rebuild. Plus, the carb that is on there is from an old pick-up application and isn't the best carb for what I would like it for. I would rather spend money on a new one.
Of course, now I have no clue as to which one is best for my application or where to get it for a good price. There are so many out there!!! Shocked

TheFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 February 21st 2011, 8:03 pm

Ok... I was hoping you weren't wanting to replace the carb solely because it was rich/flooding Wink

What application is this in (maybe I missed it Embarassed )?
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFrog February 21st 2011, 8:06 pm

429 in a 62 Galaxie 500XL. I just want it to run well enough to cruise around in but have enough power to let the guy next to me know not to mess with me Rolling Eyes
Yeah, not exactly sure what my last comment really meant lol!

TheFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFrog March 21st 2011, 3:21 pm

Update: my engine is running and sounds pretty good, considering it only has headers installed right now.
Do you guys know if these engines need to be running premium fuel?

TheFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2011, 11:36 am

Depends on the cam, compression and tune......

The valve seats will wear out with todays pump gas unless they have had hardened seats installed.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFrog March 22nd 2011, 1:03 pm

I guess I'll be going with premium just to be safe.
I hear a slight "ticking" noise when it's running and was wondering if it was pinging or something else. That's why I asked about the octane.
So much to learn!!!

TheFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2011, 1:08 pm

Exhaust leak? lifter tic? could be a bunch of stuff.

Generaly you will hear pining / detonation only under load.

Whats the compression? What Heads? What Cam?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFrog March 22nd 2011, 1:49 pm

No kidding, I didn't know that pinging usually occurs when under load. Good to know!

I suppose it could be an exhaust leak, although it would need to be limited to the headers since they are the only things installed. Is a lifter tic bad?

Not sure about the heads, compression and cam. This is an engine that was already installed in the car when I purchased it. I'm pretty much learning as I go. Although, I'm enjoying every bit of it! I knew I enjoyed cars but now that I'm really digging in and learning how they work I find them even more fascinating.

Here's some newbie questions: I'm pretty sure I can find out what heads I have by simply looking at the stamp on the sides of them however, how do I find out the compression and other than pulling the cam out, is there a way to find out what type of cam it is?

TheFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2011, 1:53 pm

Posting the casting numbers on the heads will help.

Do a Compression check to get the amount of cylinder pressure you dealing with.

You can measure the lift at the valve with some calipers, to get an Idea what the cam lift is.

Does it have adjustable rocker arms and guide plates?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFrog March 22nd 2011, 2:24 pm

Well, here goes some more embarrasing information. How can I tell if the rocker arms are adjustable and what is a guide plate? Embarassed

TheFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2