BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wing thoughts for my pickup...

+13
cletus66
Wayne Pearce
res0rli9
BBF4xFord
56Tbird
DILLIGASDAVE
westsideford
jbozzelle
Doug Rahn
Old blue Racin Team
Northwest outlaw
ThndrChkn
David Willingham
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 Empty Re: Wing thoughts for my pickup...

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 21st 2009, 6:00 am

Messing with a basic wind tunnel applet site and a badly drawn truck roof/covered bed outline. I couldn't draw a straight line with the mouse for $hit. Laughing Laughing
The tumbling dead air boundary layer right behind the cab really stretches out as air speed increases.

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 Truckair1

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 Truckair2

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 Truckair3
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 Empty Re: Wing thoughts for my pickup...

Post  David Willingham September 21st 2009, 9:19 am

Looks good to me.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 22nd 2009, 11:39 am

At roughly what air speeds are those graphics taken from Dave...? Very interesting... Cool

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham September 22nd 2009, 12:26 pm

Hey Doug, your truck really looks good! I noticed you don't have a front bumper. I didn't run one on mine until I found someone to make me one. The guy is in NC and he built mine in fiberglass off of my original bumper. It probably weighs 3-4 lbs tops. I can get you hooked up if you need one. Very Happy
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BBF4xFord September 22nd 2009, 1:02 pm

Although at the moment I can not find the CD there is a good white paper put out by the SAE years ago that details the air flow on a (Ford) PU into and through the bed. I'll keep looking so that I can at least give the paper number. In my reading and my testing I found results similar to your graphics. Got a link to that applet?

BBF4xFord

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 22nd 2009, 1:47 pm

David Willingham wrote:Hey Doug, your truck really looks good! I noticed you don't have a front bumper. I didn't run one on mine until I found someone to make me one. The guy is in NC and he built mine in fiberglass off of my original bumper. It probably weighs 3-4 lbs tops. I can get you hooked up if you need one. Very Happy

Thanks David... Pm me his info and I'll look into it... At the moment, I'm looking into doing it myself, but it would be nice to see if it's worth the time to do it, or if I should just buy one...

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 22nd 2009, 10:11 pm

1bad521 wrote:At roughly what air speeds are those graphics taken from
BBF4xFord wrote:Got a link to that applet?
I had lost the original link long ago but kinda remembered the name......Google to the rescue.Laughing

http://www.bfg.uni-freiburg.de/Projects/dlb/SubgridLB_html

There might be an updated version of this out there by now. But my computer has enough trouble running the older V 1 & 2 on dial up so I never went looking for anything newer or "more gooder". It's simple but clunky. You don't get actual air speed numbers, just sliders to play with air speed, viscosity, etc, etc. It would be much easier to draw shapes with a pen vs the mouse.

BBF4xFord wrote:air flow on a (Ford) PU into and through the bed.
Crap, if I had been thinking I would have also drawn the outline as if the bed wasn't covered and had a closed tailgate......damn brain fart. Mad
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 22nd 2009, 11:04 pm

BBF4xFord wrote:Forgive my ignorance... Not a drag racer.What a Face
I like to fly low in the Desert, with an open bed, airflow is turbulent though predominately flowing towards the cab at speeds from about 60 to 125. Above that point air flow reversed, however the bed area was low pressure. The only laminar air I found was about 10 inches higher then the cab above the tail gate. Sheetmetal was mid 70's, low pressure in the bed area would start unloading the rear tires at about 130 and nobody wanted to go over 140. You might not notice the unload on pavement but in dirt, the rear tires would spin, you could see it in the Tach almost before you could feel it.
Do you actually get enough air flow, in the right direction at bed height to do anything? Is it the bed cover that you feel is necessary?

130 in dirt !!!!! Shocked You are insane. You will fit in fine here. What a Face Very Happy
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  BBF4xFord September 22nd 2009, 11:48 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:
Crap, if I had been thinking I would have also drawn the outline as if the bed wasn't covered and had a closed tailgate......damn brain fart. Mad

With the bed at the top of the sides, and at the bed floor. Note that the air flow is going to the back wall of the cab, so if you are mounting coolers there aim the fans the right way...
Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 Wt111

BBF4xFord

Back to top Go down

Post  BBF4xFord September 22nd 2009, 11:50 pm

Ever wonder what that bug deflector did to the aero...

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 Wt1bdb11

BBF4xFord

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 29th 2009, 1:17 pm

That's very interesting... The bug deflector is kind of a shocker... I was always "told" they helped push airflow over the cab... scratch Suspect

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham October 1st 2009, 8:57 am

Doug, the front bumper for my truck came from a man in NC. I went thru Wayne James to get it. It cost about $275 I think. I am very happy with it and the chassis man is going to shorten it 5" because factory Ford bumpers stick out past the fenders too far. If you need more info, let me know.

David
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 1st 2009, 9:15 am

I'm thinkin' some contact info would be tooootally Cool Cool ... Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham October 1st 2009, 10:58 am

I'll call Wayne James and see if I can get a phone #. He has his name on the bumper, but no #.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 2nd 2009, 12:30 am

Awesoooome...! LMK...

Thanks David,

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  JHOUK November 21st 2009, 10:09 pm

Man i wish mine was that low yall make my truck look bad!!!!! not sure if you can get a good look at my wing or not but if it helps

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 HPIM1676

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 AbesPics110-1

Last edited by JHOUK on November 22nd 2009, 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
JHOUK
JHOUK

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Maxwell November 22nd 2009, 10:23 am

very nice ride!!

Dave Maxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole November 22nd 2009, 10:30 am

David,

Yesterday at ORSCA qualifying at Steele there was a truck similar to yours. Running the 5.0 class. He was straight as a string on every pass. Only had just a little lip on his bed cover. I know you will be faster than 5.0, but you might not NEED a wing.

Wing thoughts for my pickup... - Page 2 DSC03148
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 22nd 2009, 9:25 pm

very interesting on the wing deal building the my little ranger now want be very fast to start with hoping on high 6's in the 1/8 to start with but after some time on track going bigger and more hp just wondering if the wing will help later on don't think i will need one to start with but might go ahead and weld something to the back to hold one while i got it apart before painting the chassie
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2