BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

extending my friends front cap

3 posters

Go down

extending my friends front cap Empty extending my friends front cap

Post  KY JELLY February 28th 2011, 7:46 pm

Cell phone pics so not the best quality , but we are extending my friend CC's fiberglass front cap by 3 1/2 " .

We started by making an aluminum extension and screwed it to the cap, had to put body lines in it and do some fab work at the ground effect area.

We used mothers aluminum polish for a release agent on the first side because he forgot to get wax paper and it turned out slick as glass, we will see about the wax paper tomorrow after it cures.

extending my friends front cap Ccsfrontcap

extending my friends front cap Ccsfrontcap2

extending my friends front cap Ccsfrontcap3
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

extending my friends front cap Empty Re: extending my friends front cap

Post  cool40 February 28th 2011, 11:20 pm

your wife will be asken you what all the itchen's about! Laughing that stuff eats me up when i get to the sanding part.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 1st 2011, 4:50 am

I have tried wax paper, but haven't had much luck with it releasing. The resin still seems to find it's way through the pores of the paper even though it's waxed. Simple car wax has worked well for me as a release agent on smooth surfaces, but I do apply the wax a few times to make sure everything is covered good with wax.

I found that aluminum tape/foil tape/"true" duct tape (or whatever you want to call it) with a coating of car wax works good covering large areas of parts & bridging gaps in parts.

And I found that surprisingly the sticky side of plain masking tape releases from cured resin very easily, but resin will hang on tight & soak into the dry side.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum