BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Art Carr C4 Transbrake V-Body ?

+3
whatbumper
whitefield
colormebad
7 posters

Go down

Art Carr C4 Transbrake V-Body ?  Empty Art Carr C4 Transbrake V-Body ?

Post  colormebad March 16th 2011, 7:55 pm

Anybody ever had problems with something going wrong with this V-body' causing the pump gasket to blow?? He has to put it in reverse & the hit the transbrake ' for it to take reverse...Both times the gasket blew is when it was put in reverse it seems...Thanks

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Art Carr C4 Transbrake V-Body ?  Empty Re: Art Carr C4 Transbrake V-Body ?

Post  whitefield March 17th 2011, 9:56 am

How old is the trans and sounds like you have a bad valvebody.Those valve bodies are junk and sounds like he has a restrictedor stuck pump preasure regulater or restricted orffice in the case. Get a Dynamic Racing transmission Valve body and it will be fine.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad March 17th 2011, 10:39 am

Yeah ' first thing i told him the V-body was junk...He bought it from someone else and i put new clutches/steels/ C6 pump bushing/PumP Seal/new seals...Everything shifted fine and fluid is still clean...That V-body was meant to hit the T-Brake before it would go in reverse...It just seems thats when its blowing the pump gasket...He drove it down the rd and everything was fine..Later he put it in rev & hit the trans-brake to back up and put it in park..Came back outside and seen it leaking...I always use PA V-bodys & every art carr trans or v-body has been nothing but trouble..I even put the new thicker heavy duty pump gasket on it the last time & it still blew...Could the pump cause this' or do you think its all in the V-Body?? I used air and couldnt find any restricted holes on the case so far...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 17th 2011, 11:18 am

maybe that's why art carr/redneck performance went out of business. good employees but the owner wouldn't let them take the time to do quality race work. they were more focused on the factory rebuild stuff. (bet most of you didn't know that thousands of cars run down the road everyday with their work)

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad March 17th 2011, 11:51 am

Thats what i told the guy that brought the trans...I said thats why they are no longer in business...The junk they sold...

Last edited by colormebad on March 17th 2011, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 17th 2011, 12:47 pm

they built their own valve bodies and converters but everything else they sold was the same stuff you can buy anywhere else. which is good stuff. their people could build good stuff but they were always hit with large reman orders from manufacturers.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 17th 2011, 12:49 pm

The pressure is higher in reverse, check it to be sure its not overboosting. If its fine ensure the pump sealing areas are flat, blue hylomar on the gasket in the pressure area is an old trick that works, they make gaskets out of better material now which is the way to go IMO, but they are thicker so the endplay needs to be addressed.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad March 17th 2011, 2:39 pm

I put the best Gasket ' which is the thick one that PA & Tci sells...Still blew...I did notice a few mins ago that the valve that sticks out where the lever would sit against from the old passing gear lever is not installed on this valvebody or came out...I know this valve is not used' i even leave the lever that touches it off...But does anyone know if this valve has to be in the V-body ?? All the other V-body's i have seen has this valve in it....Thanks

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 17th 2011, 4:02 pm

How long has he had the trans? The pump could cause it and the case could be cracked and flexing with the engine bolted to it .Along with the fluid psi being over 190 psi in reverse. If he didn't have this problem before then sounds like the pump orffices have restictions or the check ball and spring is stuck in the pump. Possible mateing surface issuses.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad March 17th 2011, 5:20 pm

Hes had the trans for awhile maby 5 or 6 years...I figure the v-body is from the old art carr...I just got off the phone with the other art carr ' he says hes never seen the front pump gasket blow...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 17th 2011, 6:28 pm

Put a gauge on it and verify the high pressure is the problem. Try figuring out the issue rather than throwing parts at it lol.

Better yet stick a powerglide in it with teflon sealing rings................ Razz
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 17th 2011, 6:45 pm

colormebad wrote:Hes had the trans for awhile maby 5 or 6 years...I figure the v-body is from the old art carr...I just got off the phone with the other art carr ' he says hes never seen the front pump gasket blow...

art carr in abilene was around before then.

Check the pressures. check the mating surface for flatness.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust March 17th 2011, 10:42 pm

richter69 wrote:Put a gauge on it and verify the high pressure is the problem. Try figuring out the issue rather than throwing parts at it lol.

What pressure is there ??? I got a couple bad valvebodies done by local guy here few years ago and was seeing 350-400 psi affraid The pump gaskets never blew on those , actually looked good but i replaced anyway , pressures were crazy.. Have a real good look at the case , make sure it is flat around the bolt holes .. Something odd there

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad March 18th 2011, 12:12 am

Pressure is around 300...I have been looking all through the trans and still havent found anything...I have never had a pump gasket blow ever..With this heavy duty gasket' just dont make any sense..Customer said was shifting perfect...Clutches were perfect and fluid is clean...First time the guy said the car was just sitting still running and noticed it leaking...2nd time he just put it in reverse to back up' put it in park and noticed it leaking...I keep looking for cracks but no luck yet....

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 March 18th 2011, 1:06 am

It doesn't need to be cracked.. one of the mating surfaces being not true is all it takes when you have hydraulic pressures like this. It may not be common, but it does happen.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl March 18th 2011, 3:07 am

Around 300 psi my ass; the keyboard monkey's couldn't even find the pressure port let a lone put a guage on it !! 210psi on a C6 @ 4000rpm keeps a C6 happy at 1650 hp !!!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 18th 2011, 8:36 am

300 is in spec for reverse on a E4OD 4R100, and is not out of line on a c4. I'd say there is an issue with the case and or pump either flatness or otherwise.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad March 18th 2011, 11:20 am

I have checked flatness twice....Its not off anywhere....It was 296 in reverse before it was took out...I also lean more to the pump...I just tore the v-body down and found no valve stuck....Been trying to find someone thats ran these v-bodys...I never have ran any of the art carr stuff..I think im going to install a another pump with a new gasket....

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 18th 2011, 1:33 pm

I have owned two of them and they a junk period! He most likely has a busted or cracked case uneven mating surfaces between pump and case. Is the pump or case different from what he had before? Does the pump still have the two check balls and spring for the preasure regulator?

colormebad wrote:I have checked flatness twice....Its not off anywhere....It was 296 in reverse before it was took out...I also lean more to the pump...I just tore the v-body down and found no valve stuck....Been trying to find someone thats ran these v-bodys...I never have ran any of the art carr stuff..I think im going to install a another pump with a new gasket....
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad March 18th 2011, 1:55 pm

He said the pump housing was changed before but used the same stator....The checkballs & spring are still in the stator...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down