BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSD 7al3 with Crank Trigger

4 posters

Go down

MSD 7al3 with Crank Trigger Empty MSD 7al3 with Crank Trigger

Post  1markd March 22nd 2011, 9:33 pm

Setting the timming is a pain in the A** with this crank trigger. Can I set it at say 40* and then change it with one of the retard modules. The MSD directions are somewhat vage in this reguard. It says you must have zero modules installed or the corrspomding terminals grounded. I get that, but what would happen if I put a 8* module in, would I then have 32* and what triggered it ? I would like to change the timming via the box instead of moving the trigger, it very busy down there.

Thanks Mark
1markd
1markd

http://www.nplm.com

Back to top Go down

MSD 7al3 with Crank Trigger Empty Re: MSD 7al3 with Crank Trigger

Post  BigDave65 March 22nd 2011, 10:16 pm

Yes you can do it that way. I have my trigger wheel set-up on 40* and I use a retard chip to set my timing. I use the zero chips as well as grounding the other terminals just to make sure they can't do anything. This is the best way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Just change the chip to adjust timing. I have verified the timing changes with each chip as well.

Nothing has to trigger it. It just sees which terminals aren't grounded or zeroed. You can put two 4* chips and it will still retard 8*. You can set up a high gear retard and trigger it with a relay or switch.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 23rd 2011, 8:17 pm

also make sure you ck phasing on the dizzy

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  nitro717 March 26th 2011, 7:57 am

Nothing has to trigger it. It just sees which terminals aren't grounded or zeroed. You can put two 4* chips and it will still retard 8*. You can set up a high gear retard and trigger it with a relay or switch.
Now I am cornfused you dont have to trigger it but then you say you can trigger it? If you have chips in 3 of the spots how is it you only use 1 at a time? I thought you used 12 volts to trigger each chip.

Had to read it a few times to figure it out...
OHHH got this, its grounded with a chip in it then take the ground away when you want it, not put 12 volts to it.
nitro717
nitro717

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 March 26th 2011, 8:48 am

Thats right. You can have a 4* chip and it will retard 4*, you can have another 4* chip on a trigger to remove the ground and activate it. Without a trigger 2-4* chips will retard 8*. And like Bruno said you need to check rotor phase. It can cause some hard cranking issues or if you're spraying and pulling a lot of timing with 2 or 3 stages, the rotor phase changes and can actually move too far away from the dist. terminal.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down