BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock stroke/rod chevy piston combos

3 posters

Go down

Stock stroke/rod chevy piston combos Empty Stock stroke/rod chevy piston combos

Post  72mav September 4th 2009, 1:40 pm

Hi everyone,
Fully aware of the custom cranks,rods,etc.
But I want to use what I have and off the shelf piston.
This probably falls under compression height.But has anyone ran the 6.8-7 piston with stock bushed rods and crank?
Considering the 10.300 deck standard with the shorter pistons/rods crank this would be somewhat shorter than a regular 6.8 setup. I know it sounds kind of goofy in some aspects.But If I run into a deal on pistons, (which I have).Id consider a combo like this.
Anyone ran a combo like this? Was it a DUD?, Would appreciate any comments.
Thanks.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Stock stroke/rod chevy piston combos Empty Re: Stock stroke/rod chevy piston combos

Post  dfree383 September 4th 2009, 1:43 pm

What combo would you be considering?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Stock stroke/rod chevy piston combos Empty Re: Stock stroke/rod chevy piston combos

Post  72mav September 4th 2009, 2:10 pm

Hi Dave,
It would be stock stroke/rod and WHATEVER chevy piston came up at buy time.
My concern would be a comfortable CH on the piston and not be BURIED in the block.
I would like to run pump gas, so between 9-10:1 with a dove head.
If its a no-go, Ill just grind the crank and go with a 6.8 rod/piston setup.
Just wanted to run my truck rods, if possible and not end up with a turd.

There is a fellow member here with a 514, running a old Motorsport 4.3 crank,Boss S-rod bushed(6.549) and a standard bore chevy piston with 9.5:1 cr with SCJ's.
Car runs mid 5's in the 1/8th. So something is possible here IMO.

There is SO MANY ways you can go with this, that it gets mind-bogiling. Especially on a budget.
Thanks.
Al

Last edited by Al Martin on September 4th 2009, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong spec)
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 4th 2009, 2:43 pm

Well, It looks like Dumba$$ me answered my question here Rolling Eyes Laughing
Got out the calculator and did some math. With stock stroke/rod, and a 1.770 C.H. I get 10.300. DUGH!!!! What a Face

The 1.770 I see is pretty common on the stroker pistons. The reason I was looking at the stroker pistons was they are more common, plus $$ and are free-floating. Some of the standard Ford versionsare still press-fit.
So,it looks like anywhere between a 466-472, depending what I find for pistons.
Thanks.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 4th 2009, 2:47 pm

Al,

do yourself a favor and just build a motor with parts that work for the application. Its not 1965 anymore where parts don't exist or decent stuff is way expensive or custom. You will thank yourself in the long run and end up with a motor that you can fix in a hurry and relitivly easy if you hurt it and something that if you get tired of it, it will have some value. I know it's not what you want to here...... But i've been down this road a few times and have always regreted trying to bastardize something, usually it ends up a pile of scrap or more expensive than just doing it right the first time.......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 4th 2009, 3:13 pm

Thanks Dave, Thats the plan. I know what I need now. No bastards here!
Im just a old Scotch tight-azz!
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P September 4th 2009, 4:22 pm

You know, there's no feeling quite like the feeling of buying a part that nobody says will work, for cheaper than the right part would have cost.......

Except the feeling of paying 3x the savings on machine work to get the cheaper part to work......

And maybe the feeling that after the $$$ is spent on machine work that the part won't work anyway, and now it's no good to anyone.....so you can't use the old parts to sell and buy the correct ones.

Can ya tell I've been down that road?

LOL......
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 4th 2009, 8:38 pm

I hear ya there Greg!
My build is just gonna be a 472 truck rod stocker special!
E-Pay has the deals for pistons IMO. This is fun to me, finding stuff as i go. And not paying a mint.
Plus I cant really afford it right now. But Im doing it. Im in no rush, plus very excited about it. There is a few members here that have helped me out IMENSELY. I love you I cant say or thank them enough. Ive been really blessed since finding everyone here.Ive seen some kickass steel motors that have beat many a high-dollar motors. Ask Maverick about that one.. He has a story for that. Very Happy Its all about the COMBINATION.
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down