BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fresh breath

+4
res0rli9
'65 T-BOLT
bbf-falcon
quick 52
8 posters

Go down

fresh breath Empty fresh breath

Post  quick 52 March 23rd 2011, 9:06 pm

has anyone try a cold air kit with a carb. any hp gains
dragweek quickest street rod
2009 2010

quick 52

Back to top Go down

fresh breath Empty Re: fresh breath

Post  bbf-falcon March 23rd 2011, 9:10 pm

Anytime that you can get colder air too a engine ,it is a good thing imo. BBF's especially like colder air Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 23rd 2011, 10:16 pm

I gained mph and et
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 March 23rd 2011, 10:23 pm

quote="'65 T-BOLT"]I gained mph and et[/quote] what kind of setup do u have

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 23rd 2011, 10:59 pm

I have a single 4 oval air bonnet (like the thunderbolts) with a pair of 4' tubes to the inboard headlights,with 6' to 4' reducer cones from an HVAC supply house
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 March 24th 2011, 12:06 am

Here is your answer Smile ...scroll down about 1/3rd of page.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148394&highlight=ram+air+breather

I made mine out of two stock 460 breathers, cut the bottom out of one and slide it inside the other till a 4 1/2x 13 5/8 element fit.
turn the top one so the whole for the hose is on driver side and weld. get the hose at home-depot or lowes. instant ram air Cool

ps: My motor box is only 2"s all the way around the engine Soooooooo I probably gained 100hp cheers Razz

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 March 24th 2011, 6:19 am

There is a lot on this topic, but one positive factor of a "sealed to the outside" air intake is that the car will follow the information that you get from your weather station/ET prediction software with more accuracy. I feel that mixed "hot" underhood air is slightly more constant as ambient temperature changes.
So...if your weather station tells you that your car will speed up...or slow down....all of that information is based on the air outside of the hood or scoop, not what is heated by the radiator, headers and engine.
I know that it sounds weird....but if you think about it a little, it makes more sense.
I ducted the teardrop bubble hood that my 514 uses....to pull air from the grill area and the car became much more consistent with the information collected by my weather station and will do almost exactly what the prediction software says. My grille area became a giant scoop, also. Before, it was just using under hood air and whatever it saw from the rear screens on the bubble.
Just my observation on this.....
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 24th 2011, 10:31 am

I looked...no pictures of the air box on the car!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 24th 2011, 12:05 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:There is a lot on this topic, but one positive factor of a "sealed to the outside" air intake is that the car will follow the information that you get from your weather station/ET prediction software with more accuracy. I feel that mixed "hot" underhood air is slightly more constant as ambient temperature changes.
So...if your weather station tells you that your car will speed up...or slow down....all of that information is based on the air outside of the hood or scoop, not what is heated by the radiator, headers and engine.
I know that it sounds weird....but if you think about it a little, it makes more sense.
I ducted the teardrop bubble hood that my 514 uses....to pull air from the grill area and the car became much more consistent with the information collected by my weather station and will do almost exactly what the prediction software says. My grille area became a giant scoop, also. Before, it was just using under hood air and whatever it saw from the rear screens on the bubble.
Keith

T/Y
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 March 24th 2011, 1:38 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:There is a lot on this topic, but one positive factor of a "sealed to the outside" air intake is that the car will follow the information that you get from your weather station/ET prediction software with more accuracy. I feel that mixed "hot" underhood air is slightly more constant as ambient temperature changes.
Keith

I've noticed this as well Keith. I've seen a car get a sealed up scoop and it became really sensitive to weather conditions. I've always run an unsealed scoop and it seems to be more consistent throughout the day into the night time. It works for me anyway.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  peganit2 March 24th 2011, 6:29 pm

3 days on this forum, about 10 visits and already something to think about! Excellent!

peganit2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down