BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member from Europe -some questions

4 posters

Go down

New member from Europe -some questions Empty New member from Europe -some questions

Post  PVM April 11th 2011, 6:00 am

Hello,
I am 30 years Old, live in Europe, Lithuania. My passion - old American cars which are very rare here. I own 2 - 1975 Eldorado Convertible, and 1979 Caprice wagon. And also as a present to Caprice, I got an old ford engine with transmission, which guy told to be from 1972 thunderbird 460 (oh I alreadu talking inch size no metric - COOL). I never heard this engine started, and I want to start it. At first I like to know more how to identify what exact engine I have. Valve covers has 7bolts. So its big block? How to identify model year? It has so called "air/smog pump". First problem I faced was distributor cap. Its cracked, and i ordered 1972 thunderbirds shown in www.rockautoparts.com and was disapointed. Arived Cap was taller, smaller in diameter and had "female conections" for wires. Mine is wider, lower and with males conections according catalogs such goes to newer fords. While looking at such items in ebay I found info, what also where are diferent caps with round vent hole an oval. So now I am confused a lot on that to order - no chances to return parts and also shiping costs are high.
Maybe you can advice on part numbers, and good sources?
Now about strting that engine - what would you advice to do before any atempt? It was not started for 3-5years. and how to deal with transmission? if it is left it will leak at rear seal - shaft removed ( i have it).
How to identify transmission lever position - is park in front or rear posistion?
Thanks a lot for all ideas

PVM

Back to top Go down

New member from Europe -some questions Empty Re: New member from Europe -some questions

Post  dfree383 April 11th 2011, 10:14 am

Can you post some pictures? That will help us ID everything alot better.

Casting numbers help too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

New member from Europe -some questions Empty Re: New member from Europe -some questions

Post  rmcomprandy April 11th 2011, 10:15 am

You can determine the exact year only sometimes by referencing the casting number cast into the heads; unless they have been changed at sometime.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PVM April 12th 2011, 2:20 am

Uploaded pics to: https://picasaweb.google.com/112054118771376356546
But no engine casting numbers yet. Where are they located?
So any ideas, on what exact engine it is, what ignition and etc are very welcome.

PVM

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 12th 2011, 8:07 am

seeing that it painted gray from the factory it may be an 80's 460.

Casting numbers will be on the heads on top over the exhaust ports (may not have anything on the exterior of the heads in the 80's) and on the block on the side above the oil pan rail. Block will probaly be D1VE or D9TE, if you can find the casting numbers on the heads odds are they will be D3VE.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Kramer April 13th 2011, 5:00 pm

Labas,

From which part in Lithuania are you coming?

Frank
Frank Kramer
Frank Kramer

http://www.seasideaffair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down