BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trickle chargers

3 posters

Go down

trickle chargers Empty trickle chargers

Post  ndmus88gteng September 6th 2009, 9:44 am

hey guys , I've got an 88 gt , its a clean old car, just stock, for now. the problem is I just dont drive it too much. I've been thru 2 batteries ,the last couple years, cause it sits so long , with out running it . and also getting tired of getting out the charger when I do want to drive it. ya know after so long it wont hold a charge, so do you guys know what kind of trickle charger is a good one, I thought some might use them on their race car ? uh maybe dumb ? , I dunno.

any I deas , Thanxs Rick study study study

ndmus88gteng

Back to top Go down

trickle chargers Empty Re: trickle chargers

Post  Doug Rahn September 6th 2009, 10:31 am

You cant go wrong with Battery Tender. http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2 Search around on the web and you can probably find it cheaper than buying it directly from the manufacturer. Maybe one of the Vendors on here sell them.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

trickle chargers Empty battery tender plus

Post  ndmus88gteng September 6th 2009, 10:55 am

yes , I just saw an advertisement on trucks on tv. for them. and thanxs for the link Doug. they got a bunch of them. I think the battery tender plus, 12 volt @ 1.25 amp. is the one I think I would need . they sell for 64.95. not sure on ship cost. they say you can leave it hooked up ,all the time, with no damage to battery,

not a bad price ,seeing I only drive the car maybe once a month. BUT if there is a vendor ,here at the bar and grille, (lol) , I would rather purchase from them. I'll hold off ordering one,for now , and if anyone sells them here, please let me know, I would much rather buy from here .

again thanxs for your help

Rick

ndmus88gteng

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn September 6th 2009, 10:59 am

I did a quick search and found one here for $46.90 free shipping. http://www.pacificbattery.com/batterytender0128.html
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

trickle chargers Empty battery tender plus

Post  ndmus88gteng September 6th 2009, 11:25 am

Excellent SOLD Thank you very much Doug

this place is the BEST have a great day sir .

Thanxs Rick

ndmus88gteng

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 6th 2009, 6:42 pm

How long is your car sitting to drain the battery???
It should be able to sit all winter and start in the spring no problem. You COULD try disconnecting a battery cable, IMHO, you have a parasitic drain somewhere, or your alt isnt charging the battery properly.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  ndmus88gteng September 6th 2009, 8:47 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:How long is your car sitting to drain the battery???
It should be able to sit all winter and start in the spring no problem. You COULD try disconnecting a battery cable, IMHO, you have a parasitic drain somewhere, or your alt isnt charging the battery properly.

it sits for maybe 2 to 3 months, I think the parasitic drag, were the lighted sun visors , on the gt. or maybe the light under the hood, I disconected that. I bought ordered one today, from that site Doug ,showed me.
I've got a much newer set of lighted visors , to put in also .ya know where the flaps stay shut properly.

so the next new battery I put in should last better, but there may be some more drag, somewhere, I dont know,
I'll also have the alt checked out. but it stays charged IF , I drive it reg, just dont drive it much.

Thanxs for the info, I for sure check it out , better when I put in the battery. any prefrence on brand / cc amps, for the stock 5.0

Thanxs Rick study study study

I've heard if you jump off the battery, it messes up the alt. on that 5.0 eng. is that an old wives tale,

ndmus88gteng

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn September 6th 2009, 9:19 pm

It won't mess the alternator up but when you disconnect the jumper cables it can cause a voltage spike and ruin a computer. A couple of times when I had to jump mine off I always turned on several of the accessories to lessen the spike.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ndmus88gteng September 6th 2009, 10:48 pm

got it, thanxs for all the help

Rick

ndmus88gteng

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 7th 2009, 9:25 pm

ndmus88gteng wrote:

Thanxs for the info, I for sure check it out , better when I put in the battery. any prefrence on brand / cc amps, for the stock 5.0

I've heard if you jump off the battery, it messes up the alt. on that 5.0 eng. is that an old wives tale,

I know lots of people swear by optima's, but i really like exides, or interstate for a regular battery. Remember that Exide makes MANY brands batteries. If you're using side posts i've found some of the discount batteries have poor threads in the battery. My preference is to go one size down from the highest amperage for each group. EG, if there is a 850, 800, 750.. i'll go with the 800. My reasoning is sometimes there is not enough room between the plates to get a proper chemical reaction, and the electroplating has further to go to short out a cell than the higher amperage cell.. But thats just me. Now this also is based if the cranking amp rate is good enough for the vehicle its going in... I'm not familiar with the sizes and groups in your stang, but if you got some compression and such and you got the choice of a 750 and a 500, well the 500ca battery isnt going to cut it...so in that case i'd take as much as i could get.
Jumping, i've always found disconnecting the neg, then pos on the same battery, then go to the other battery and repeat seems to keep away the sparks. I've never wrecked any component by boosting vehicles, so i'm not sure how much of a short you'd have to have to wreck an alt or electronic components in a car.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

trickle chargers Empty battery

Post  ndmus88gteng September 12th 2009, 7:23 pm

I think it was misunderstood, or stated, not shorting out the battery with the jumper cables, but that it would, somehow, damage the alt., just for jumping it off. can't remember where I heard that one. lol

Brent , it's a stock 5.0 , out of a 90 , with 80 thou, miles, ford says 540 cc amps. but I am wanting to put on a trick-flow 360 h.p., top-end kit, maybe by summer next year.

if I could sell that rotating assm. I bought from Carl, last christmas, I'd be a lot closer to it , LOL ( nibble-nibble, bite -bite) lol 25% off FIRM .

I found an Autocraft 610 cc amps. 89.99, I always think ,bigger is better, lol.

but for stock car, with the top end kit, ? what do you all think ?

again thans for the input

ndmus88gteng

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum