BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing Jobs???

3 posters

Go down

Changing Jobs??? Empty Changing Jobs???

Post  hotrodmerc September 6th 2009, 9:54 am

I may have an opportunity at a new job that pays about 9.00 more an hour than I currently make. I currently drive 20 min to work, this would add almost 1hr of travel. I can work M-F 8 hours or M-T 10 hours and be on call for 1 week every 8 weeks. I do have a good job and it is very stable. It's just hard to take a chance in today's economy. Is it worth the travel??? What does everybody think?
hotrodmerc
hotrodmerc

Back to top Go down

Changing Jobs??? Empty Re: Changing Jobs???

Post  jbozzelle September 6th 2009, 12:49 pm

$9 more an hour is sure tempting. You need to figure how much your own time is worth since driving is your time and this new job will keep you away from the family that much more. Use the federal mileage rate for figuring up the money it costs you to commute now as well as to the new job. The current rate is $0.55/mile. See if the "extra money" you get on this new job is actually worth it to drive to the new job once you pay your commute costs. How many hours will you be gone from the house total?

I'm in the same boat. I've got a 106 mile roundtrip commute now. It's great pay, but money isn't everything. I'm starting to realize that all of my commuitng is keeping me from the family and my free time on the car. Not to mention is racks up miles on my vehicle like crazy. I'm gone from the house for 12-13 hours each day M-F. I'm starting to look at jobs closer to home.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrodmerc September 6th 2009, 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.....I am beginning to think that the extra money will get eaten up in travel costs and associated car repairs. Going to need to think this think over quite good. I'm glad that I don't need to make a quick decision on this.
hotrodmerc
hotrodmerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 6th 2009, 1:18 pm

What's the mileage difference? How secure a move would it be, is it a reputable company, etc? For example, if it's 120 more miles each day, 120X$.55=$66 a day extra travel expense. If you get $9 an hour more and an 8 hour day that's $72 dollars more for a net gain of $6 for two extra hours of driving. Not worth it in my opinion. All depends upon what you want I guess. Question Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum