BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggest a cam to a noobie...

4 posters

Go down

Suggest a cam to a noobie... Empty Suggest a cam to a noobie...

Post  7.5 April 28th 2011, 10:05 pm

Ok, total noob here looking for a cam. There are several hundred to choose from so I'm asking for some help from experienced people so I don't make a poor choice.

Truck is a daily driver Ranger 4x4, will have 4.10 (or possibly 3.73) gears with 35" tires.

Engine is a 460, D0VE-A block with D0VE-C heads, appears to be stock or close to it. Will run the factory D0VE-9425-B intake manifold, Carter 750, and have 2" fenderwell headers. I may use an aluminum intake if I find a good deal on one.

Transmission is a C6

Here is a cam I'm thinking about, but always open to suggestions if there is a better choice. It says the cam needs new valve springs. Is this really required, or will the stock springs be ok? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL34-238-4/

Back to top Go down

Suggest a cam to a noobie... Empty Re: Suggest a cam to a noobie...

Post  rmcomprandy April 29th 2011, 12:25 am

There are several camshafts which will be close and that one you have chosen is one of 'em.

Stock, production springs will work however, better one's would be an improvement.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave April 29th 2011, 6:05 am

As Randy mentioned, valve train parts that are associated with the manufacturer's cam could be the best choice to offer the performance you expect from the cam you choose. I would like to mention, if I may? I chose a COMP FF X4 256H-11 (34-231-4) for a 1982 F-150 that did quite-a-bit of towing, it worked great! The idle is almost smooth, excellent vacuum, torque is great and made power to about 5000 RPM. As you mentioned of your daily driver and your actual final drive is near 3.5:1, it may be worth looking at.

Just my $0.02,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  7.5 April 29th 2011, 10:18 am

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll maybe look into a set of valve springs and possibly some mild porting of the heads.

Edit: I'm not concerned much about a smooth idle. I've never had a truck with anything other than a stock cam, so a choppy idle would be fine with me... as long as I have just enough vacuum.

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 29th 2011, 8:43 pm

7.5 I have a comp cam 4x4 cam for sale you would need more spring than stock and valve guides cut, It makes great power and tq I built my engine for my 69 F100 but decided to build a drag truck.So I pulled it and went with a bigger cam and more compression.Here is a link to it.and I do have the lifters in order they go in for the cam.
https://www.429-460.com/t9003-comp-cam-and-lifters
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum