BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report

+3
bbf-falcon
knrclark
Wheelie58
7 posters

Go down

Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report Empty Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report

Post  Wheelie58 May 15th 2011, 11:39 am

Just got home from Atlanta Dragway from a less than perfect performance in Super Gas at the Southern Nationals. My previous 10.0 Index (no electronics) setup was pretty good, or at least I thought it was...so I used that to set up for the 9.90 class index. My first time run was a 9.85 at 142, and I was OK with that, considering that most of the "hitters" were way slow on that pass, may running in the 10.00 range. I adjusted the timing retards and ballast to slow the car down to hit the 9.90 deal, but was surprised with a 9.80! The car experienced a very slight wheel spin in the mid part of low gear and it made it pick up acceleration drastically in that segment.
Round 1 the next morning, retarded the timing even more, because the air was much better. My prediction/weather software was calling for a 9.77. I lined up with one of the best Super gas racers in the country who can run 9.90 at well over 160 MPH. I figured that he would be at my door at 900 ft...and when he was not, assumed that I must be set up "fast" and running under the 9.90 index. He got up even with my door as I approached the 1100 ft area, and then dumped me. I rolled thru at 9.76 at almost 143 Shocked and he won the double break-out deal with a 9.87.
So...back to the drawing board. I have some new thoughts and strategies to plug into the '58 for next weekend's Lucas Oil race at Altanta, where I will double enter in Super Gas and the 10.0 no-electronics index.
Super Gas is NOT the ideal class for the old '58. The class allows cars to be at 2100#, and I am about 1650# heavier than all of the other cars. Since it is so close to the 10.0 index, I will give it another shot anyway.
At least the 605 and the "2-speed non-Ford racing transmission" are healthy and happy and ready to rock once more.
Keith
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report Empty Maybe next time

Post  knrclark May 15th 2011, 11:56 am

Better luck next time Keith. Go get'em.

Kerry
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report Empty Re: Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report

Post  bbf-falcon May 15th 2011, 7:56 pm

Early in the season Keith Shocked

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report Empty Re: Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report

Post  cool40 May 15th 2011, 8:04 pm

hay,it's runnen good and aint broke! sunny
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy May 15th 2011, 8:41 pm

Keep this up and you will run 8's before you know it. affraid lol!
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea May 16th 2011, 12:26 pm

Sure is making power!

I have the same issue Keith, when I try to slow my car down it 'resists' What a Face
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon May 17th 2011, 7:42 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:Just got home from Atlanta Dragway from a less than perfect performance in Super Gas at the Southern Nationals. My previous 10.0 Index (no electronics) setup was pretty good, or at least I thought it was...so I used that to set up for the 9.90 class index. My first time run was a 9.85 at 142, and I was OK with that, considering that most of the "hitters" were way slow on that pass, may running in the 10.00 range. I adjusted the timing retards and ballast to slow the car down to hit the 9.90 deal, but was surprised with a 9.80! The car experienced a very slight wheel spin in the mid part of low gear and it made it pick up acceleration drastically in that segment.
Round 1 the next morning, retarded the timing even more, because the air was much better. My prediction/weather software was calling for a 9.77. I lined up with one of the best Super gas racers in the country who can run 9.90 at well over 160 MPH. I figured that he would be at my door at 900 ft...and when he was not, assumed that I must be set up "fast" and running under the 9.90 index. He got up even with my door as I approached the 1100 ft area, and then dumped me. I rolled thru at 9.76 at almost 143 Shocked and he won the double break-out deal with a 9.87.
So...back to the drawing board. I have some new thoughts and strategies to plug into the '58 for next weekend's Lucas Oil race at Altanta, where I will double enter in Super Gas and the 10.0 no-electronics index.
Super Gas is NOT the ideal class for the old '58. The class allows cars to be at 2100#, and I am about 1650# heavier than all of the other cars. Since it is so close to the 10.0 index, I will give it another shot anyway.
At least the 605 and the "2-speed non-Ford racing transmission" are healthy and happy and ready to rock once more.
Keith
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com

Keith i can tell you this, 9.85 @ 142.... is pretty Dam impressive, at that wieght... That 605 is working (HARD) and doing it's job Cool Cool Cool Cool
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 May 17th 2011, 8:47 pm

Thanks for the support guys.
The old car is just about ready to go in the trailer and head out to the next Lucas Oil race this week. I just installed my prototype trans pan chiller in the 2-speed to help cool the fluid between runs, since I will double enter the Super Gas and 10.0 index classes. It will allow me to circulate cold water through my trans pan while I log in the run and fuel the car for the next run.
I decided on a different tune up for this 10.0 deal. It is real hard to slow one of these things down a whole second. It may take a slightly smaller restrictor plate for the Flying Toilets, too.
So....here we go again!
Gotta go wear out the practice tree........
Thanks,
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Southern Nationals - Super Gas 58 Ford Report Empty good luck

Post  knrclark May 18th 2011, 12:01 am

Good luck Keith I hope you have a great weekend.

Kerry
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum