BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COMP CAM 838-16 ROLLER LIFTERS

+3
cooter
rmcomprandy
Wayne Pearce
7 posters

Go down

COMP CAM 838-16 ROLLER LIFTERS Empty COMP CAM 838-16 ROLLER LIFTERS

Post  Wayne Pearce June 6th 2011, 9:23 am

I sent my original set of #836-16 lifters back to Comp Cams for a rebuild a couple years ago, and put them on the shelf for future use. Well, now the future is here, and I was about to put them in my son's 460 motor, when I found the tie bars were too short! This is when I realized that these lifters were not what I sent them for rebuild, these lifter's are #838-16 for a sbf! Comp won't do anything about the screw up because it was a couple years ago (yeah, I know - should have checked them when I got them). Other than the incorrect tie bars, the only physical difference between the #838, and the #836 is the location of the oil hole, which is 90 degrees away from the correct lifter. This puts the oil hole directly in line with the oil gallery, and I fear this will totally flood the top end, and cause me oil pressure problems, of course Comp Cams says "they'll work just fine in a 460". What do you guys think, are my concerns valid, or will they work okay?

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

COMP CAM 838-16 ROLLER LIFTERS Empty Re: COMP CAM 838-16 ROLLER LIFTERS

Post  rmcomprandy June 6th 2011, 9:38 am

They WON'T "work just fine in a 460" IF they are wrong.
You are absolutely correct about the oil holes location being VERY important. A 385 series engine & Cleveland engines, use the CompCams roller lifters with the oil hole parallel to the oil galleries and a small block & FE CompCams lifter has its oil holes perpendicular to the oil galleries. This all has to do with having the correct oil control to the top end of the engine. The oil galleries on the 385 and Cleveland engines are on the OUTSIDE of the lifter, not near the middle.
Be aware that an FE and 385 series use the same tie bar though.
(Other brands may be different).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce June 8th 2011, 7:55 am

Thanks for your input, Randy. I'm more than just a "little" put off by Comp Cams "technical assistance", it's more like "tell em anything to get em off the phone". I'm taking another shot at them today, as I sent them an e-mail two days ago regarding this issue (with NO response), so today I will call them and talk with their "experts" to see if they will resolve this favorably. (wish me luck)

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter June 8th 2011, 8:31 am

problems like this are the reason i do no business with comp. they suck big time. when i go to SEMA every year i tell them of my bad experiences in customer service and they really dont care. they feel they are the only company on the block and where else can you go.

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 9th 2011, 12:36 pm

It takes a while to find someone to deal with in any company that suits you. I have been buying from them for years and have had no problems. It takes awhile to learn each other.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter June 9th 2011, 3:01 pm

I am far from the only one who cant get any help from comp when problems arise. Who is the warrany guy to talk to? They are all good when you are handing over cash but thats where it ends

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 9th 2011, 3:47 pm

cooter wrote:I am far from the only one who cant get any help from comp when problems arise. Who is the warrany guy to talk to? They are all good when you are handing over cash but thats where it ends

Sorry Cooter I didn't realize all the people at comp were jerks and incompetent Rolling Eyes Guess I am just a lucky guy.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 9th 2011, 4:28 pm

IDT-572 wrote:
cooter wrote:I am far from the only one who cant get any help from comp when problems arise. Who is the warrany guy to talk to? They are all good when you are handing over cash but thats where it ends

Sorry Cooter I didn't realize all the people at comp were jerks and incompetent Rolling Eyes Guess I am just a lucky guy.

Me too...... I've used plenty of Comp products and have had very little issue with them or the products.......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce June 10th 2011, 8:20 am

I gave up on waiting for a response to my e-mail to Comp Cams about the lifters, and resorted to "step 2" an online chat with "Brad", things went along fairly smoothly until they decided that since I waited so long to complain about their screw up, it was now MY screw up! They were going to "allow" me to buy a correct set of lifters for $344.00! At that point I decided to call Comp Cams, and talk with "the boss" whom I won't name, he was very pleasant, and after talking with him for a few minutes we reached a resolution. It wasn't totally what I was looking for (an exchange of the 838-16 lifters for a set of 836-16, with no money involved). I will be returning the 838-16 lifters, and be credited the original cost against the price of a new set of 836-16's. Yeah, it's a compromise - but I guess I can live with that.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter June 10th 2011, 8:32 am

i dont believe everyone has an attitude and unwilling to help at comp, just my experiences. The products are decent but i choose to deal with other companies.

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 10th 2011, 10:06 am

cooter wrote:i dont believe everyone has an attitude and unwilling to help at comp, just my experiences. The products are decent but i choose to deal with other companies.

A lot of years ago, my father once told me a thing about dealing with a large company when something goes wrong and it is truer than ever today..

MOST of the people within that company simply aren't allowed to DO anything so, getting someone "in charge" who can is the main battle. In essence ... you want to talk with the organ grinder and not the monkey.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  342g June 10th 2011, 11:21 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
cooter wrote:i dont believe everyone has an attitude and unwilling to help at comp, just my experiences. The products are decent but i choose to deal with other companies.

A lot of years ago, my father once told me a thing about dealing with a large company when something goes wrong and it is truer than ever today..

MOST of the people within that company simply aren't allowed to DO anything so, getting someone "in charge" who can is the main battle. In essence ... you want to talk with the organ grinder and not the monkey.

Well said!!! Very Happy
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave June 11th 2011, 10:42 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
Be aware that an FE and 385 series use the same tie bar though.

I knew there was something I liked about the Ford 385 Series engine! ... Very Happy ...

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down