BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing and ET

5 posters

Go down

Timing and ET Empty Timing and ET

Post  D. Sea September 8th 2009, 12:12 pm

Timing and ET

At BG a few weeks ago we were testing. I have my 7AL3 box set so I can take out X amount of timing at the flip of a switch.

Base timing is 34 degrees BTDC.

Base timing run and the car goes 9.38 at 143.4 mph (IIRC)
-2 degrees nets a 9.35 at 143.6mph
-4 degrees nets a 9.37 at 142.9 mph ( I think the mph is correc)

NT Raceway (Track is junk and short times are way off, by .05)

Base timing run and the car goes 9.46 at 143.6mph
-6 degrees nets a 9.48 at 142.6mph

Before my sprag broke, I was going to try –8 degrees at one point however at –6 degrees the rpm drops a few hundred and I have to feather the throttle in order to idle around 1400.

Thoughts? At –6 begrees, I would think that it would make more of a difference in ET?

Discuss….
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Timing and ET Empty Re: Timing and ET

Post  IDT-572 September 8th 2009, 2:21 pm

Damon,

At Bowling green I pulled the timing back from 36 to 32 on my cast ironed deal and it did not change anything not 60 ft not E.T. or mph.

I am kind of stumped myself over this.

Hope some other people put their two cents worth in on this. scratch
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 8th 2009, 2:46 pm

My guess is that a high grade of fuel combined with a safe fuel/air mixture tends to minimize the efects of your timing changes. If you were on the edge with fuel quality (octane) and mixture, you'd probably see more dramatic results when you changed the timing. Experts? Right or wrong?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 8th 2009, 3:06 pm

I need to find a way to "Tune" my car slower and quicker at various weather conditions or DA's to get more technical, thus the pulling of timing in the box. My next option is to try different shift rpm's. Right now I'm shifting at 6800 to 6900 rpm.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 8th 2009, 3:08 pm

Let Chuck ride with you............. lol! affraid
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 8th 2009, 3:09 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Let Chuck ride with you............. lol! affraid

I don't think tech or the track personnel would be too keen on that idea. And I only need to take out a tenth lol! lol!
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 8th 2009, 4:13 pm

Damon, I assume this is a no-electronics deal where you can't use an electronic throttle stop?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 8th 2009, 4:46 pm

maverick wrote:Damon, I assume this is a no-electronics deal where you can't use an electronic throttle stop?

Correct, no electronics of any type; delay or throttle stop.

Open Comp rules

OPEN COMP

General Description

Open Comp class is designed for any year, make, and model Ford vehicles using Ford engines only. Dragsters and roadsters prohibited. The Open Comp class will run on an Open Comp format with a 1-tenth (1/10th) breakout.

Qualifying Information, Ladder Type, & Tree

The class will be qualified by positive reaction time (r/t) closest to “.000” based on a Pro .500 Tree. “.000” is considered perfect. Any negative r/t (-.001, -1.231, etc.) will be placed at the bottom of the qualifying ladder, the more negative the r/t is, the farther down the ladder the run will be placed. For cases in which identical reaction times are made, qualifying position will be based on a first-come first served: the first occurring r/t will be placed #1, the second occurrence of said r/t will be placed #2, and so on. Class will be paired according to qualifying positions, and then advance to eliminations.

All Run, NHRA Sportsman Ladder, Pro .500 Tree, Handicap Start.

A 32 or less car field will be laddered on a sportsman ladder

A 33 or greater car field is randomly paired and run until the field reaches 32 cars or less. When the field reaches 32 or less cars a sportsman ladder for the number of cars remaining will be used to pair the cars. Car placement on this ladder will be determined based on reaction time for the last round that was randomly paired.

If weather has caused the loss of one or more rounds of qualifying sessions, any entrants not qualified will be required to choose an index from the following list: 15.0, 14.0, 13.0, 12.0, 11.0, 10.0, 9.0 Competitor must submit their index to the race director on the last day of qualifying. Competitors will compete with their chosen index through eliminations. Any competitors who fail to submit their index on the qualifying day will automatically be assigned a 15.70 index.

RULES & REGULATIONS
Any modifications, vehicle weight, or power adders permitted. Any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, electric, hydraulic, etc. shifters prohibited. Trans-brakes and 2-steps permitted.

WHEELS
WHEELS: Spindle-mount front wheels prohibited.

RACING AIDS
Delay boxes, cross-over boxes, or any “reaction-time related” electronic bracket racing aids prohibited in this class. Throttle stops and all related throttle-stop type accessories prohibited.

ET LIMITS
The quickest qualifying ET permitted in this class is 8.80; the slowest qualifying ET permitted in this class is 15.70. Any qualifying pass quicker than 8.799 or slower than 15.701 will be disqualified and will not be counted. Competitor will be permitted to re-qualify if additional qualifying rounds are left. There is no ET limit (minimum or maximum) in eliminations. Competition will be regulated under standard NHRA “First or Worst” competition policy during qualifying and eliminations.

CREDENTIALS
CREDENTIALS: See general regulations.

LANE CHOICE
During qualifying and eliminations, it is the responsibility of the competitors to determine lane choice. If the competitors are unable to establish lane choice, a staging official will make the determination in the manner he/she chooses (i.e., coin flip, random choice, faster car, etc.)

DEEP STAGING
Deep staging is permitted, however not advocated. If you plan to deep stage, it is strongly recommended that you boldly display the words DEEP on all four windows, in plain view of the starter. It is always the driver’s responsibility to stage the vehicle prior to the tree being activated. In any event, the driver must be prepared to leave as soon as the final stage light is lit.

A competitor with the words DEEP displayed on the window is not necessarily obligated to deep stage. As well, the starter is not necessarily obligated to wait on a driver to deep stage, even if the words DEEP are displayed on the vehicle. All drivers must be prepared to leave as soon as the final stage light is lit.

ADVERTISING
GRAPHICS: Graphics (for advertising or creative purposes) permitted on entire body, including doors, hood, rear quarter panels, front fenders, wing, etc.

CONTINGENCY DECALS: in order to be eligible for NMRA official contingency program, all contingency decals are required to appear only on the rear quarter windows or rear window in a clear and organized fashion. Contingency decals may not be overlapped or modified. Other decals and sponsorship (non-contingency) may appear on bodywork, front end, and on windows.

NMRA REQUIRED DECALS: The following decals are required for competition in NMRA events.
NMRA Windshield Decal – must be installed on top of windshield. This NMRA decal must be the only decal on top of windshield. Other vehicle sponsor decals may be placed at base of windshield.
NMRA 2009 Drag Racing Series “Side” Decals – must be installed on each side of vehicle on quarter windows.
Class Sponsor Decal – class sponsor decal must be installed on base of windshield on the passenger side.
Permanent Numbers – permanent numbers are required for competition in this class. Must be on front, rear, and both side windows.

CLASS & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
It is the participant’s responsibility to familiarize oneself with the class requirements as found in the 2009 NMRA rulebook and the safety requirements as found in the 2009 NHRA rulebook.

The participant agrees that the participant bears the ultimate responsibility at all times to ensure the safety of participant’s vehicle and to ensure that participant complies with all applicable NHRA & NMRA rules. The participant agrees that participant is in the best position to know about the construction and operation of participant’s vehicle, equipment, and clothing, and whether there has been compliance with all applicable NHRA & NMRA rules.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 8th 2009, 5:05 pm

Damon, See your e-mail.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 September 8th 2009, 6:38 pm

Just a thought but if you only need to drop a tenth why not drop your shift points 300-400 rpm and leave the timing alone. Course I may be wrong on this.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy September 9th 2009, 7:37 am

514Fox87 wrote:Just a thought but if you only need to drop a tenth why not drop your shift points 300-400 rpm and leave the timing alone. Course I may be wrong on this.

That's the way I would do it. Very Happy
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 9th 2009, 11:52 am

83-88T-Bird Guy wrote:
514Fox87 wrote:Just a thought but if you only need to drop a tenth why not drop your shift points 300-400 rpm and leave the timing alone. Course I may be wrong on this.

That's the way I would do it. Very Happy

I'm gonna give it a whirl however with this much torque it won't make much difference What a Face
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down