BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

truck is getting hot

5 posters

Go down

truck is getting hot Empty truck is getting hot

Post  johndickjr June 17th 2011, 2:59 pm

i have a 1997 f150 4.2 v6...i have owned it for 5 years 100% trouble free..for the most part each year during the summer it runs hot ..at first it was with a heavy load and ac on..the just a heavy load..now if ac is on at all it get hot..i flushed radiator , new coolant..new fan clutch...if ac is on and im in town..it hit the red mark in a hurry...earlier even driving down the hy with ac on it got hot

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

truck is getting hot Empty Re: truck is getting hot

Post  95lightiningguy June 17th 2011, 5:33 pm

Thermostat. Exclamation
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 17th 2011, 5:46 pm

I see you flushed the radiator............but was that internally?

The fins get plugged up with dirt and stuff, no or poor airflow = poor cooling. If you have not already pop the radiator out and get after it with a good water hose or press washer.......just be carefull to not bend the fins.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr June 17th 2011, 9:27 pm

richter69 wrote:I see you flushed the radiator............but was that internally?

The fins get plugged up with dirt and stuff, no or poor airflow = poor cooling. If you have not already pop the radiator out and get after it with a good water hose or press washer.......just be carefull to not bend the fins.
i sprayed it with a hose but never took it out of the truck...i will pull it and hit it with my pressure washer and see what happens...in not maybe maybe stick my big 2 core alum radiator in it..it will fit i checked..also it only gets hot when it 90 or above out side..at night it dont do it

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 17th 2011, 10:13 pm

as long as you can see water going through the fins its ok. Also be sure all the plastic rubber shields are in place.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr June 17th 2011, 10:38 pm

richter69 wrote:as long as you can see water going through the fins its ok. Also be sure all the plastic rubber shields are in place.
it had water coming threw fin easily...im stumped on this one..i put a piece of paper on the radiator ..it stuck but just dint fell like it was pulling hard...now im wondering if it is possible to put the fan on backwards

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick June 19th 2011, 4:04 pm

Is this an electric fan or a clutch fan?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr June 19th 2011, 9:25 pm

maverick wrote:Is this an electric fan or a clutch fan?
clutch fan

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick June 20th 2011, 4:40 pm

johndickjr wrote:
clutch fan

You sure it's working OK?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr June 20th 2011, 8:16 pm

maverick wrote:
johndickjr wrote:
clutch fan

You sure it's working OK?
its doing the same thing as the old did...the old was was clean and felt tight like it should..i went ahead and powered washed the ac condenser and radiator and put in a new stat..have not drove it far enough yet to see if it worked..will go for a ride tomorrow in town

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr June 21st 2011, 6:07 pm

it did not work...only gets hot with ac on in town...what the hell...can ac condenser be getting to hot

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield June 21st 2011, 6:39 pm

How many miles does the truck have on it ? what does the antifreeze or did it look like ? Has any thing cooling related been replaced in past history before you got the truck. Radiator could still be clogged . Take it out and take to a local radiator shop and have it rodded out and checked. other problems could be a new bad thermostat or it installed backwards. the water pump impellers worn out or slipping on the shaft air in the system from change of thermostat or loss of water from boiling over or getting to hot. collapsing radiator hose . check for leaks and make sure its not leaking water in the oil if you are losing any water.head gasket or intake gasket is about the only things to check after you have checked all this other stuff.good luck and I hope this helps
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr June 21st 2011, 9:10 pm

whitefield wrote:How many miles does the truck have on it ? what does the antifreeze or did it look like ? Has any thing cooling related been replaced in past history before you got the truck. Radiator could still be clogged . Take it out and take to a local radiator shop and have it rodded out and checked. other problems could be a new bad thermostat or it installed backwards. the water pump impellers worn out or slipping on the shaft air in the system from change of thermostat or loss of water from boiling over or getting to hot. collapsing radiator hose . check for leaks and make sure its not leaking water in the oil if you are losing any water.head gasket or intake gasket is about the only things to check after you have checked all this other stuff.good luck and I hope this helps
207,000 miles, i have put 150,000 of those on the truck, never had a issue...do not know if anyone else put any parts on it before i got it...t stat is in correct..not losing any water...flushed system out...put new coolant in ...really only thing lieft is water pump or clooged radiator...everything is fine going down the road with ac off..it even gets hot with ac on going down road after a long trip..i have owned truck for 5 years ..it did this the first summer i had it with my trailer and car being towed by not normal driving ...it has gotten worse each year

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down