BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rocker Geometry

+6
gtotomm
c.evans
ROAD RAGE
Lem Evans
rmcomprandy
Mark460
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rocker Geometry - Page 2 Empty Re: Rocker Geometry

Post  richter69 June 23rd 2011, 5:53 pm

I see PRO I mean STEELCOMP found his way over here..............thats ok its been too damn quiet anyway.................. bounce Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 23rd 2011, 6:01 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:I'm not much on theory but, I like a sweep that is near the center of the stem and the most narrow.
I agree, although you seldom get both. I look for the narrowest pattern which is going to be closest to the 90* @ half lift geometry method. IMO where the roller tip sits on the valve is secondary.

Getting both has not been that big of a deal on the TFS A460 heads........using a Crower S.S. rocker and a standard [non-bastard] lenght valve.
Someone did their homework, but not a surprise with Crower. It's frustrating to have to go through three or four different sets (brands) of rockers...all supposedly for the same application...to find one that works correctly. I've found that for BB Chev's (pardon the reference..lol) the Crane Gold is about the only one, so far, that "works". I know Crower offers rockers that are set back to help correct the "tall valve, off-center roller" syndrome, but as long as the roller is not much further than the outside third of the valve (or so) I don't worry too much about it...long as the geometry is right. Canfield even stated in their literature that their heads were designed around a Cranae Gold rocker. It's also why I suggest Scorpion race series these days...they supposedly took up the Crane design. They look very similar and the last set I did worked out well.

The CRANE rocker arms are designed using the 2/3 lift principal, (at least that is according to what Harvey Crane says), and that is also just one of MANY principals in existence for valve train geometry.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gtotomm June 23rd 2011, 6:12 pm

bigblockranger, sorry for the mix up,(mike) I meant Randy.

gtotomm

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 23rd 2011, 6:38 pm

Not having a queer rockerarm is a very big deal to me. I only use the Cower s.s./crane gold/frpp blue[also crane] rockers. I'm sure there are others that will be just fine.....I'm just looking for things to repeat [predictable] with on track results.
I.m.o. a guy could split every hair there is to split on this roller on the tip thang and put a cheap assed pushrod in the engine and still not have much.
I'm not very smart but I make up for it by being stupid.

Last edited by Lem Evans on June 23rd 2011, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell June 23rd 2011, 6:43 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Not having a queer rockerarm is a very big deal to me. I only use the Cower s.s./crane gold/frpp blue[also crane] rockers. I'm sure there are others than will be just fine.....I'm just looking for things to repeat [predictable] with on track results.
I.m.o. a guy could split every hair there is to split on this roller on the tip thang and put a cheap assed pushrod in the engine and still not have much.I'm not very smart but I make up for it by being stupid.
Boy is that the truth.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell June 23rd 2011, 6:51 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:I'm not much on theory but, I like a sweep that is near the center of the stem and the most narrow.
I agree, although you seldom get both. I look for the narrowest pattern which is going to be closest to the 90* @ half lift geometry method. IMO where the roller tip sits on the valve is secondary.

Getting both has not been that big of a deal on the TFS A460 heads........using a Crower S.S. rocker and a standard [non-bastard] lenght valve.
Someone did their homework, but not a surprise with Crower. It's frustrating to have to go through three or four different sets (brands) of rockers...all supposedly for the same application...to find one that works correctly. I've found that for BB Chev's (pardon the reference..lol) the Crane Gold is about the only one, so far, that "works". I know Crower offers rockers that are set back to help correct the "tall valve, off-center roller" syndrome, but as long as the roller is not much further than the outside third of the valve (or so) I don't worry too much about it...long as the geometry is right. Canfield even stated in their literature that their heads were designed around a Cranae Gold rocker. It's also why I suggest Scorpion race series these days...they supposedly took up the Crane design. They look very similar and the last set I did worked out well.

The CRANE rocker arms are designed using the 2/3 lift principal, (at least that is according to what Harvey Crane says), and that is also just one of MANY principals in existence for valve train geometry.
That may be true, and you're right...ask anough different engine guys and you'll get as many diffrerent answers. IMO the most accurate method of getting the information from the cam to the valve is the half-lift geometry method, on both sides of the rocker. If I can't have that, I'll work on teh valve side, and leave the pr side...unless it's SO far off it's not tolerable, then I will find another rocker.
That's JMO based on my own experience.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2