BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas vs Alky........

+27
bruno
Larry T
schmitty
Curt
jsracing
res0rli9
Wes Littrell
QtrWarrior
DILLIGASDAVE
56Tbird
johndickjr
IDT-572
BigDave65
Maddmattmustangs
Treeyasoon
whatbumper
bbf-falcon
knrclark
KY JELLY
cool40
69F100
c.evans
Doug Rahn
Lem Evans
richter69
dfree383
Moodyblues
31 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Gas vs Alky........ Empty Gas vs Alky........

Post  Moodyblues July 6th 2011, 12:57 pm

What is your choice and why?

I like gas cause the motor sounds much better for one thing! Alky goes clap...clap...clap Very Happy
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Gas vs Alky........ Empty Re: Gas vs Alky........

Post  dfree383 July 6th 2011, 12:57 pm

Gas is for Racin'...... Alky is for Drinkin'....... Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 6th 2011, 1:02 pm

Alky makes more torque, sounds better, lose a bunch of cooling crap you dont need, smells better, as an individual you will be cooler as well................ Cool

Everything "I" have ever put alky on has gone down the track faster............period.

Some will argue the cost thing, in the end its usually a wash unless your running that $$$$ C and Q 6 stuff lol.

Also clearing the starting line out is a hoot........... Razz
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 6th 2011, 1:09 pm

Alky smells like diarrhea.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 6th 2011, 1:12 pm

the next morning it does............... Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 6th 2011, 1:17 pm

richter69 wrote:the next morning it does............... Laughing
You'z gotz it all backward son.....You need to stop drinking the Gasoline....... Laughing Its the other way around !!! Surprised
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 6th 2011, 1:20 pm

hell gas stinks too bad to even use for a parts cleaner...........

....................diesel makes a better tow rig fuel............... Basketball
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues July 6th 2011, 5:19 pm

richter69 wrote:Alky makes more torque, sounds better, lose a bunch of cooling crap you dont need, smells better, as an individual you will be cooler as well................ Cool

Everything "I" have ever put alky on has gone down the track faster............period.

Some will argue the cost thing, in the end its usually a wash unless your running that $$$$ C and Q 6 stuff lol.

Also clearing the starting line out is a hoot........... Razz

Sounds better?...........you gotta be kidding
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 6th 2011, 5:29 pm

you must be listening to a bunch of alky powerd bowties...............they sound like crap no matter what lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn July 6th 2011, 5:38 pm

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Gas vs Alky........ 10390285_gal
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 6th 2011, 5:41 pm

I like gasoline better because;

1. Every thing we have ever dynoed (where we ran both types of fuel) made more power and torque on race gas than on alky.

2. At the Winter Tech Seminar at Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute, quest speaker Darin Morgan stood right up there on the stage and told us all, that these big naturally aspirated engines will always make more power and torque on gasoline than on alky.

3. Gasoline is easier on the engines and not as corrosive to the parts, seals and etc.

4. Alky tends to wash down the cylinder walls and affect ring seal.

5. IMO a good gasoline engine is just as consistent as an alky engine in terms of e.t.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 6th 2011, 6:46 pm

Don't know how it going to run but it sounds as good or maybe alittle better then the 110oct shell turbo blue i have been running.Hopefully I will now aweek from friday I myself I believe it will be faster with the alky set up drunken time will tell. Laughing

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 6th 2011, 7:16 pm

c.evans wrote:I like gasoline better because;

1. Every thing we have ever dynoed (where we ran both types of fuel) made more power and torque on race gas than on alky.

2. At the Winter Tech Seminar at Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute, quest speaker Darin Morgan stood right up there on the stage and told us all, that these big naturally aspirated engines will always make more power and torque on gasoline than on alky.

3. Gasoline is easier on the engines and not as corrosive to the parts, seals and etc.

4. Alky tends to wash down the cylinder walls and affect ring seal.

5. IMO a good gasoline engine is just as consistent as an alky engine in terms of e.t.

Charlie

my leak down numbers say otherwise............ Wink

Its a matter of preference, make the most of whatever program you choose.............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 6th 2011, 7:24 pm

mine is faster on alky but i did'nt have a "brand name"carb for gas.i do like the cool temp's the alky gives you over gas but i damn sure dont like the smell of alky.i realy like the injection better than a carb whatever the fuel.some day when i grow up i may try gas in the injector.as for the sound part,hell i cant tell one from the other unless you have nitro in the alky! What a Face
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 6th 2011, 7:27 pm

cool40 wrote:mine is faster on alky but i did'nt have a "brand name"carb for gas.i do like the cool temp's the alky gives you over gas but i damn sure dont like the smell of alky.i realy like the injection better than a carb whatever the fuel.some day when i grow up i may try gas in the injector.as for the sound part,hell i cant tell one from the other unless you have nitro in the alky! What a Face

the bad smell is comin' from your shorts after you open them throttle blades............. Twisted Evil
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 6th 2011, 7:31 pm

richter69 wrote:
cool40 wrote:mine is faster on alky but i did'nt have a "brand name"carb for gas.i do like the cool temp's the alky gives you over gas but i damn sure dont like the smell of alky.i realy like the injection better than a carb whatever the fuel.some day when i grow up i may try gas in the injector.as for the sound part,hell i cant tell one from the other unless you have nitro in the alky! What a Face

the bad smell is comin' from your shorts after you open them throttle blades............. Twisted Evil
no,it's after they close at the end.lol
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 6th 2011, 7:31 pm

I run methanol because I race and don't have time to be fiddling around cooling an engine off after passes or changing jets to keep it consistent. I can run the same tune up all year long on methanol with no worries.

KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 6th 2011, 7:58 pm

KY JELLY wrote:I run methanol because I race and don't have time to be fiddling around cooling an engine off after passes or changing jets to keep it consistent. I can run the same tune up
on methanol with no worries.

But you got time to fiddle with bucket valve and the middle speed by-pass etc. Three 4.80s in a roll aint consistent?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 6th 2011, 8:19 pm

That's great Lem I got nothing against anyone running gas if they want to . I can show you up to 8-9 time slips within a few thousandths so I can run consistent with methanol too.

The only time I have had to mess with my bucket valve was when I had it on gas, I got the methanol middle speed down pat unless I am running exotic fuel I mess with it Laughing
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 6th 2011, 8:37 pm

KY JELLY wrote:That's great Lem I got nothing against anyone running gas if they want to . I can show you up to 8-9 time slips within a few thousandths so I can run consistent with methanol too.

The only time I have had to mess with my bucket valve was when I had it on gas, I got the methanol middle speed down pat unless I am running exotic fuel I mess with it Laughing

You aint gotta show me or anyone any of your 'slips'.....don't think you should be pulling your dress up Evil or Very Mad
So you ran injected gas ?
Where did i say a guy could not run consistent on meth. ? Sounded like you guys were thinking that a person could not be consistent on gas.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 6th 2011, 10:18 pm

No .............I have not ran injected gas on the track , but I have had it running on it a couple times just checking things out.

"I" never said that anyone could not run consistent on gas , I said I can run the same tune up on methanol all year long and run consistent . Smile

so don't get your g string in a wad over what I said Laughing
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 6th 2011, 10:28 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
KY JELLY wrote:That's great Lem I got nothing against anyone running gas if they want to . I can show you up to 8-9 time slips within a few thousandths so I can run consistent with methanol too.

You aint gotta show me or anyone any of your 'slips'.....don't think you should be pulling your dress up Evil or Very Mad
So you ran injected gas ?
Where did i say a guy could not run consistent on meth. ? Sounded like you guys were thinking that a person could not be consistent on gas.
hell Lem some of us cant run consistent on alky or gas. Embarassed
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 6th 2011, 10:32 pm

Randy, Jon and anybody else are free to run alky if they want to. I certainly respect their decision and their consistent elased time slips.

I do agree with Lem that it seems like many people say alky is more consistent that gasoline, and that may have been true back several years ago. However, with todays upgraded fuel systems and better race gas, we are just as consistent with racing gas as those with alky. Neither Krisse/Todd, or Mark/Jack, or Phillip Oakley, Bobby Small, Scott Carman, Al Peveler, and the list goes on,,,,,, are changing any jets or air bleeds during the course of a race in order to stay consistent and produce consistent e.t.s.

The biggest factor I see, that produces any slight changes in e.t. slips is the heat coming off the race tracks as we move from hot sunshine to darkness. The track is no longer "greasy" and starts to hook.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Gas vs Alky........ Empty Alky

Post  knrclark July 6th 2011, 10:36 pm

Alky for me. My car has always run hot no mater what I do. I went to Alky to solve that problem and have some success so far. I to am able to run the same tuneup most of a season. The fumes are a little obnoxious sometimes but other wise it is not bad. I prefer the smell of gasoline or race gas over the Alky. My Terminator is pretty easy to set up and control. I have nothing against the gas guys.

Kerry
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 6th 2011, 10:49 pm

Nice Avatar Kerry. Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next