BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron Headed Build Guys !!

5 posters

Go down

Iron Headed  Build Guys !! Empty Iron Headed Build Guys !!

Post  RapidRuss September 10th 2009, 6:52 am

I know some of you are running Ported Iron heads, either because of Class restrcitions or Maybe cant afford the big Aluminum heads ? Either way...What are you running? C8's 9's or D0VE, D3's, FI's

And what lind of flow at what Lift..valve size, Chamber size, etc. just a little about your build and level of Hp and Tq..and what kind of RPM's

From what I have read..you can put a Butt load of Money in an Iron head... I dont see how it can be cost effective at all...But if its class related and your restricted too them ..then I guess you do what you can...

Thanks,
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Iron Headed  Build Guys !! Empty Re: Iron Headed Build Guys !!

Post  72mav September 10th 2009, 7:06 am

Russ,
700HP is attainable for a guy that wants to do it. Figure around a grand + and your time. I have a thread here titled valvebowl diameter. Randy Malik was GRACIOUS enough to post sizes. But for a guy that didnt want to do any work, id say the best deal right now would be the SCJ castings from lem.
Get off $25 and join Scottys site. He has all the info there.

On the iron heads, I think D3 and older. STAY AWAY from D2's !! Detonation problems galore with them. Even the Cleaveland heads that year were bad, hence the beginning of emissions. BOAT ANCHORS.

BTW, how do you like my new signature?? Laughing
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 10th 2009, 7:41 am

Well good Mornin Al,

I'll have to look up those posts and see whats up there.... The last tool I bought before getting laid off was a small Air compressor about a 30 gal..and some Air tools.. But I didnt pick up a Die grinder as i had one....LOL...But it seems that, It was loaned out an I must have not got it back...Of course I'd need to buy some burr's also anyway.. I have done port matching in the past..But not full blown porting... Some bowl clean-up..But never ant intense bowl work..So It would be a big Ass learning curve for me just going by Scotty's partial head..

Maybe I can get one of the guys that have done it, and have proven good numbers..Give me lessons ? I guess what scares me the most with a first full port is that one F**K up..or Aww shit ! And all the good work is down the crapper !! Laughing

Oh did you get a chance to read that Article I sent you the URL too ? About Kasse's Mule ?
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 10th 2009, 8:01 am

mornin Russ,
Yeah I read that. Interesting.
FYI, Doug Roope (thunderchicken) has done a few sets. Maybe he will chime in.

For tools, Id buy one of the HBF electric die-grinders. They are cheap, under $100. it will save you wearing out your compressor. Just use the air tools when you get to the fine stuff/etc/polish where you need more control.

If your worried up phuking up, practice on a junk head. It can be anything. If your still concered about the outcome, just spend the money and buy a set of the SCJ's like I stated earlier. Probably the best in the long run.
For now just bide your time, and something good will turn up. Im leaning on Doves,But when Im at the point,and a set of A's or whatever came up reasonable, Id consider it.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 10th 2009, 8:07 am

Al Martin wrote:Russ,
STAY AWAY from D2's ......

BTW, how do you like my new signature?? Laughing
Al

i'll just add some clarification....
D2VE's are the ones to stay away from
D2OE's are really good.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 September 10th 2009, 8:13 am

Russ I run the iron cj heads that have been ported extensively on my motor 495 cid it is in the engine build section (760 hp). I do disagree with al on one statement the d2ve heads(over 100 cc chambers) are detonation prone but the d2oe-ab police interceptor heads are great heads slightly bigger chamber(88cc) than the dove-c(75 cc) but not as big as the d3ve head(95cc). I also have a good friend with a set of home ported doves that are making over 600 hp in about the same size motor as mine.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 September 10th 2009, 8:14 am

diggin you beat me to it
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 10th 2009, 8:17 am

WHOOOPS Rolling Eyes ......
Sorry about that. How could I forget about the good ole P.I.heads? Rolling Eyes

The guy who drilled my well has a set, but wont off em Sad Sad
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 September 10th 2009, 8:19 am

I'll sell ya my set al they are in the auction block
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 10th 2009, 8:42 am

lghting94 wrote:Russ I run the iron cj heads that have been ported extensively on my motor 495 cid it is in the engine build section (760 hp). I do disagree with al on one statement the d2ve heads(over 100 cc chambers) are detonation prone but the d2oe-ab police interceptor heads are great heads slightly bigger chamber(88cc) than the dove-c(75 cc) but not as big as the d3ve head(95cc). I also have a good friend with a set of home ported doves that are making over 600 hp in about the same size motor as mine.

I'll have to go check out your build then....Sounds interesting !! 760hp from all Iron is damn good !

Al, I like your added Sig !! LOL...
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 10th 2009, 2:18 pm

I have Doug's old DOVE heads and have had them flow tested. They had 340cfm on the intake @ .750 I believe. This is just porting, not filling floors or anything else. If you use a standard 2.2hp/cfm these heads would be capable of 750hp, possible, but it would take a very specific build and lots of squeeze. I know Bret and Scotty have gotten close to the 750hp mark with the DOVE's and about 75hp more with the DOOE's. Bret's puller motor from last year was over 800hp. I am @ 600+/-hp with Doug's old heads.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down