BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 flex band or rigid hard band?

3 posters

Go down

C6 flex band or rigid hard band? Empty C6 flex band or rigid hard band?

Post  airford1 July 16th 2011, 6:00 pm

Which band to use in a 3800 lbs 545 C6 with trans brake? Flex band or hard rigid band?
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

C6 flex band or rigid hard band? Empty c6 bands

Post  manofmerc July 18th 2011, 7:32 pm

I like the hard bands .But some prefer the flex bands .The hard band is wider for one thing .The flex bands are easier to find and come in a variety of materials .Such as kevlar the alto red lining like the clutchs use and probably a few more I am not familar with .Talk with Jay at broader he can sell either of them to you.I have three cars with c6s all use the hard band with very good service .I have replaced the clutchs twice in my c6 equiped dragcar and the band was fine both times Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

C6 flex band or rigid hard band? Empty Re: C6 flex band or rigid hard band?

Post  airford1 July 19th 2011, 6:44 pm

This is not a trick question,,, hard band will take a bigger hit but doesnt flex and fit as good as the flex band. How reliable/strong is the flex band?
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulS July 20th 2011, 5:07 pm

The flex band has more tensile strength than the "hard" cast iron band. The flex band does not need to be "run-in" to seat properly on the drum. The flex band will spot heat quicker than the solid band. The flex band can be weaker at the ends unless it is made properly. The solid band has more lining on it (thicker).
I used to favor the cast band and even had a jig to seat them to the drum but the welded flex-bands turned out to be stronger and a lot less expensive (parts and Labor) to use. (by welded I do not mean the spot welds that are added more for looks than function - I had the end couplers welded on each side of both ends and then relined the band in the material I was going to use for the transmission)
Up to about 700 hp you can easily use either with the only problem being the length of time it takes to seat the hard band to the drum. Other than choosing the proper oil for the friction material used there shouldn't be much in the way of challenges. OEM and other modified "paper" linings need type F fluid to be at their best and the carbon/kevlar and Kevlar/glass friction materials need Mercon V or similar synthetic fluids and added cooling.

PaulS

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 July 20th 2011, 7:06 pm

Cool Thanks for the reply.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down